Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 4:34 PM, Drifterdon said:

:jaw-dropping:

Wow that’s quite the endorsement , thank you!

Now on to a sticky subject, exterior colors. We all know what materials the capsule was constructed from and some have used darker metallics to replicate these colors but this is not correct. For the cone I used a mix of olive green, flat black and euro gray 1 with the  recovery/rcs sections  being darker and cooler consisting of a mixture using reefer gray plus flat black. Once dry apply a very light misting of Tamiya semi gloss .

‘Fiberglass thermal panels need detail paint and hatches aren’t  completed. 

IMG_4984.jpeg

IMG_4964.jpeg

IMG_4977.jpeg

Edited by snichols

Following along with your build.   I've always been a fan of Gemini ever since I got the Revell 1/24 kit for Christmas many many years ago.   You are doing an amazing job with this big ole kit.   I plan to bookmark this and use it as reference for my 1/24 build.   I know that kit has many shortcomings.

don   :cheers:

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 1:53 PM, Drifterdon said:

Following along with your build.   I've always been a fan of Gemini ever since I got the Revell 1/24 kit for Christmas many many years ago.   You are doing an amazing job with this big ole kit.   I plan to bookmark this and use it as reference for my 1/24 build.   I know that kit has many shortcomings.

don   :cheers:

Don,

Thank you but I’am far from an expert here and there are some inaccuracies within this build ,the most prominent being the color of the appliqués for the pressure vessel and hatch  padding which should be gray.  I haven’t added much if any extra detail and this kit begs for it. 

Thermal panels now split and decaled. White oil paint makes a great insulation  medium for the thruster opening outer edges , you can stipple and create  some mass.

IMG_5005.jpeg

IMG_5014.jpeg

IMG_5008.jpeg

IMG_5025.jpeg

IMG_5018.jpeg

IMG_5040.jpeg

IMG_5038.jpeg

IMG_5005.jpeg

IMG_5007.jpeg

IMG_4983.jpeg

IMG_4982.jpeg

Edited by snichols
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Rittic said:

This is absolutely stunning. I wish I could buy one of these. I can't find it anywhere. This is really fantastic!

Thank you for your interest and comments, you should be able to purchase a kit in the future. Jim moved back from California to the east coast and is setting up a new studio to produce more kits but doesn’t have a timeline as of yet. He’s still working on completing his kit so this is the first one built and mine  could really  use some extra detailing but actually getting things to fit this 1st time was more concerning to me, take for example the  window curtains which I didn’t add because I worried they would interfere with the hatch closing and all pressure vessel wiring wasn’t added.

Ed’s gold  visor assembly is incorrect but there was only one visor provided with the kit so I had to make do with what I had. 

14 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Nice, crisp, painting. Very much like that it has the crew guys.

Thank you, everything except for the capsule cone, RR section flat white cover  plate and heat shield bottom was brush painted using my figure painting techniques which use a lot of glazes.

7 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Amazing!  Simply amazing!

Thank you for looking and taking the time to post such kind words!

Edited by snichols
9 hours ago, snichols said:

was brush painted using my figure painting techniques which use a lot of glazes.

Even though I enjoy painting pilots, astronauts, and miniatures game figures for historical and retro sci-fi, glazes are a technique I've not much employed.

The helmet visor is movable?

That's even cooler!

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

Even though I enjoy painting pilots, astronauts, and miniatures game figures for historical and retro sci-fi, glazes are a technique I've not much employed.

The helmet visor is movable?

That's even cooler!

Yes and our secret, see the small mark on the white square inside the commanders hatch? This is from me forgetting to close the visor when securing the hatch , visor must be down for hatch to close 😜

Glazes are a PITA but a necessary evil, I’ve just started using a wet palette too. 

The white circles on the clamp decals that surround the RR/RCS section have to be painted gray, forgot to do that and working on it now. 

IMG_5152.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 10:03 PM, Drifterdon said:

Fan-friggin-tastic!   This makes me want to dig out my less than stellar Revell 1/24 kit and start building.

Wow your post made me smile.

I didn’t worry too much about super detailing this build but paid attention to colors and getting the crew sitting properly inside with both hatches functioning. 

Time for you to dig out that Revell kit now!

Edited by snichols