Here are some pictures of the beginning stages building  Accurate Models  12th scale Gemini capsule, the mission has not yet been decided. Disregard the orientation of the hatch hydraulic in the picture, it’s just there to test and show placement . Going to be a challenging kit to complete not being a fan of resin kits anymore in general but this is quite beautifully molded and represented. 

IMG_4252.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4268.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

Edited by snichols
5 hours ago, Rittic said:

WOW! This will be fantastic once completed. Is this a kit or did you 3 model it?

No this is the kit recently offered by Accurate Models. 

Edited by snichols

Here are some images I should have posted from the beginning before the kit was started , seat  parts are not present, rear bulkhead , heat shield etc. 

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4322.jpeg

IMG_4321.jpeg

IMG_4320.jpeg

IMG_4319.jpeg

IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg

IMG_4316.jpeg

Edited by snichols

I was able to complete a little this week primarily the port and starboard cockpit walls, I was also  able to luckily drill out the  hinges that hold the thermal panels for the hatch hinges and got them to work , that was a major you know what😜

A little highlight and shadows in the pressure vessel  really start to make things come to life. 

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4295.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg

IMG_4326.jpeg

IMG_4329.jpeg

IMG_4333.jpeg

IMG_4335.jpeg

IMG_4334.jpeg

IMG_4336.jpeg

Edited by snichols

Able to accomplish a little more work on the interior, shoehorning the ejection seats was a tad difficult and next up is fitting the crew to their respective seats. I’ll post pictures of the seat construction next,  at this moment they still require lots of work but I wanted to make sure everything fits before I start finish work on them. 

IMG_4342.jpeg

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4396.jpeg

IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4422.jpeg

IMG_4427.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4378.jpeg

IMG_4379.jpeg

Edited by snichols

Now I can start building and painting, both hatches assembled mostly with PVA glue for now  to test their fit and they  clear everything and operate smoothly attached to the hydraulics. All exposed  hatchlocks are present but not the connecting  rods for each  because they will not interfere with anything inside the pressure vessel. 

Did I mention not a fan of resin kits anymore ?😜 What Jim has produced is nothing short of amazing. 

IMG_4440.jpeg

IMG_4455.jpeg

IMG_4450.jpeg

IMG_4451.jpeg

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4453.jpeg

Edited by snichols

Getting some work done on the control panel, I used Paynes gray oil paint for shadows,  breaker markings and flight plan scroll  that were not present with the decals . 

IMG_4555.jpeg

IMG_4540.jpeg

IMG_4532.jpeg

IMG_4565.jpeg

Edited by snichols
18 hours ago, habu2 said:

That looks amazing and very realistic. I'm afraid to ask how much this kit sell for...  🤐

Thank you,

On page 2 there is a conversation about the cost of this kit which is sadly expensive ,  it’s  about what a 1/32d scale LM kit from Shapeways designed by Vincent would cost but that’s just for the capsule and figures with no retro or equipment sections😩.

Commanders arm after several heat cycles including one that actually made the resin smoke has been mated to the hand controller. My only complaint so far is the lack of control panel markings which in this scale is absolutely necessary.

IMG_4582.jpeg

IMG_4581.jpeg

IMG_4569.jpeg

Edited by snichols

WOW! I mean....WOW! Not sure I could say more than WOW right now. Unbelievably nice kit and you're doing a great job with it. I'd love to get one of these one day but man it's hard to justify spending quite so much at this time. But who knows in the future. You're certainly doing it justice.

Bill

Bill that’s quite the endorsement and I really appreciate it!

Yes it’s a very  nice kit but the cost is kind of prohibitive although I was extremely lucky to be able to build one. Not really a fan of resin kits these days but as far as they go this one is flawlessly casted, yes the decals for the control panel should have been more comprehensive but it is what it is. 

Couple pictures of Ed and Jim with almost completed faces, both figures were sculpted with Ed White as a reference so I changed the shape of the mouth , obviously eye color, hair color with different shadows and highlights. 

IMG_4660.jpeg

IMG_4646.jpeg

IMG_4661.jpeg

IMG_4667.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg

Edited by snichols

We have a completed crew, comms./bio-med connection will be established once they are secure in their seats. I’ll post some progress pictures and describe the painting process plus  colors used in a later post. I kept Jim’s boots as they were rather than convert them , once inside the capsule not much of them can be seen if anything.I may give Ed’s gold visor a shot too.

IMG_4727.jpeg

IMG_4728.jpeg

IMG_4751.jpeg

IMG_4747.jpeg

IMG_4746.jpeg

IMG_4741.jpeg

IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4735.jpeg

IMG_4730.jpeg

Edited by snichols
Posted (edited)

We have an epoxied crew and what I can’t believe is  how tight the inside of that  pressure vessel actually was on the real vehicle. I couldn’t  imagine spending the amount of time some missions required that cramped , a rare breed they were. 

Decals need to be placed on seats along with some dry brushing and additional details. 

IMG_4810.jpeg

IMG_4815.jpeg

IMG_4809.jpeg

IMG_4817.jpeg

IMG_4824.jpeg

IMG_4825.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg

Edited by snichols

That's just a crazy kit, unbelievable! Awesome work, especially with the instrument panel. Figure painting is an area I can't master but yours look very gorgeous.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, janman said:

That's just a crazy kit, unbelievable! Awesome work, especially with the instrument panel. Figure painting is an area I can't master but yours look very gorgeous.

Well thank you so much, Ed needed a little upgrade and while not physically correct the visor is now gold . Ed had two visors and a blue protective covering but the kit only provided the pressure suit visor and I don’t have a vacuform set anymore but  probably should have made one. 

IMG_4955.jpeg

IMG_4954.jpeg

Edited by snichols