Tarangus JA37 - What after market do you advise

Hi all,

I've bought the Tarangus JA37, kit number TA4803M.

I've heard it's not too great and would be happy to hear otherwise. If the fit and detail of the kit is indeed disappointing who can advise on what AM offerings would help.

I'm thinking of the following and hoping that these would all fit reasonably well if AM additions are necessary:

@Nordic friends, please help - are lowered flaps and canards typical on the ground or not? Are the corrected nose and wing pylons necessary or are imperfections on the kit negligible? Should I also be considering an AM cockpit.

I'm only going to build one so want it to be pretty accurate.

Thanks all,

Marc.

The Polish Master Co makes some fab and perfect scale pitots for the Viggen. 

I am not conviced by "correction" nosecones, in most cases they are simply a ripoff!!! They take the original plastic part and make a cast of it and sell it at a premium price. But everyone has their own opinions. 

Best regards

Gabor

Hi 
This is the one you want to fix the canards - much cheaper too; SAAB 37 Viggen Upgrade Set 1/48 | Special Hobby - best for modelers

Then you have the pilot from Pilot Replicas: 1/48 scale SAAB 37 Viggen pilot. Art # 48P011 – Pilot-Replicas

For Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles; Maestro Models Aircraft detailing - MMMK4915 | Hannants

I would skip most of the rest, as I too find the resin aftermarket overhyped in many cases. But each their own 😉

Great guys - thanks, excellent feedback.

I was in doubt also as to the added value of the nose.

I'll go for the canards and fin set Niels. I am wondering though if Viggens on the ground also had the flaps out on the main wing, not just the canards (or neither).

Agree with both of you that some AM seems to try to create a market for something there is no real need for - something very relevant outside scale modeling also unfortunately.

Do like these though:
https://the48ers.com/saab-aj37-sh37-viggen-2-rb04e-missiles-w-launchers.html

And thanks Gabor, I immensely enjoyed your Mil-Mi 8 thread,

Marc.

16 minutes ago, serendip said:

No problem, just did the same excersice as I just ordered a JA37 Viggen myself. 

As for this link, these are weapons used on the ground-attack AJ-37. The JA37 was Air defence fighter. 

Edited by Niels
4 minutes ago, Niels said:

No problem, just did the same excersice as I just ordered a JA37 Viggen myself. 

As for this link, these are weapons used on the ground-attack AJ-37. The JA37 was Air defence fighter. 

Thanks Niels,

Got it - wrong weapons for ADF variant.

So lowered flaps on the main wing should work in combination with lowered canard flaps?

Marc.

1 minute ago, serendip said:

So lowered flaps on the main wing should work in combination with lowered canard flaps?

Marc.

My pleasure. 

Best suggestion is to check out various online photo databases like airliners.net, jetphotos.com, airfighter.com, airhistory.com and others. 

1 hour ago, serendip said:

And thanks Gabor, I immensely enjoyed your Mil-Mi 8 thread,

Marc.

Hi Mark,

Thanks and your are welcome with the Mi-8. It was fun but of course there is still a lot to do on the Hip project. So many things to do and so little time. Life is too short!

Good luck with the Viggen! Have several kits of it (latest is a Special Hobby kit), it was always a special love for me! Actually asked the director of Flygvapenmuseum back in 2004 what they are planning to do with the retiring jets. And added “how about bringing one here to Hungary”. He said why not and we started to talk about it. The end of the story was that a Viggen (JA37 D c/n37347) in the hands of a Swedish AF pilot landed at the Szolnok base on 9th of May 2005. The pilot was or rather is no other than since then a high ranking officer in Sweden Anders Jönsson. So while not building a Viggen plastic kit, managed to get one real aircraft! : )  : )

The very sad part of the story is that since then the Szolnok museum has been “reorganized” (or rather wasted) into private hands at a new location and the Viggen was left behind along with many other “not so important” aircraft and presently completely out of reach for visitors!  : (    : (     : (  But that is Hungary for you.   : (    : (     : (  

Here are some photos of it on the old site of the museum.

http://www.repulomuzeum.hu/Leltar/Leltarfotok/Viggen lt.htm

The flaps (or whatever they called) are down. OK it has been in the museum for few years.

And here is the arrival of the bird in May 2005.

http://www.repulomuzeum.hu/ARCHFOTO/Lansen/Viggen.htm

The flaps have a slight drop here.

Aftermarket nose cones? They are good business for some companies but actually represent little value.

Have they scanned a real nosecone? Highly unlikely! Or do they have a real one back in the office? Don’t think so!

Did they look at a photo and based their correction on it? More likely.

At least the Master pitot’s are based on measurements of the real aircraft!

Good luck with the Viggen build!!!!!!!!  Have fun!

Best regards

Gabor

I find the cockpit a bit lacking although the resin ejection seat will help.  Wish there was a resin cockpit for that kit (there is one for the old Esci/Italeri/Airfix kit, but that is too wide) or a 3D printed cockpit set.  I would also recommend the wheels and the Ram Air Turbine as that is always extended when the aircraft is on the ground.  REsKit also makes a beautiful exhaust, although that will be partially hidden as the upper segment of the thrust reverser hangs down with loss of hydraulic pressure.

@serendip 

Check which edition of the JA37 Viggen you bought?
Early releases are in the "original" release, while later ones - numbered TA4803m contains sprue "M" which is then not required to buy separately. I ordered sprue "M" seperately then realized I had ordered TA4803m hence have a sprue "M" extra😜

Edited by Niels
1 hour ago, Niels said:

@serendip 

Check which edition of the JA37 Viggen you bought?
Early releases are in the "original" release, while later ones - numbered TA4803m contains sprue "M" which is then not required to buy separately. I ordered sprue "M" seperately then realized I had ordered TA4803m hence have a sprue "M" extra😜

Takk Niels!

I have the one below which I guess must be the M release(?):
image.png.23f34ec8534651f53424a261d3dc51e2.png

Can you advise what is on the M sprue that I do not then have to buy separately?

Thanks,

Marc.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:07 PM, ya-gabor said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks and your are welcome with the Mi-8. It was fun but of course there is still a lot to do on the Hip project. So many things to do and so little time. Life is too short!

Good luck with the Viggen! Have several kits of it (latest is a Special Hobby kit), it was always a special love for me! Actually asked the director of Flygvapenmuseum back in 2004 what they are planning to do with the retiring jets. And added “how about bringing one here to Hungary”. He said why not and we started to talk about it. The end of the story was that a Viggen (JA37 D c/n37347) in the hands of a Swedish AF pilot landed at the Szolnok base on 9th of May 2005. The pilot was or rather is no other than since then a high ranking officer in Sweden Anders Jönsson. So while not building a Viggen plastic kit, managed to get one real aircraft! : )  : )

The very sad part of the story is that since then the Szolnok museum has been “reorganized” (or rather wasted) into private hands at a new location and the Viggen was left behind along with many other “not so important” aircraft and presently completely out of reach for visitors!  : (    : (     : (  But that is Hungary for you.   : (    : (     : (  

Here are some photos of it on the old site of the museum.

http://www.repulomuzeum.hu/Leltar/Leltarfotok/Viggen lt.htm

The flaps (or whatever they called) are down. OK it has been in the museum for few years.

And here is the arrival of the bird in May 2005.

http://www.repulomuzeum.hu/ARCHFOTO/Lansen/Viggen.htm

The flaps have a slight drop here.

Aftermarket nose cones? They are good business for some companies but actually represent little value.

Have they scanned a real nosecone? Highly unlikely! Or do they have a real one back in the office? Don’t think so!

Did they look at a photo and based their correction on it? More likely.

At least the Master pitot’s are based on measurements of the real aircraft!

Good luck with the Viggen build!!!!!!!!  Have fun!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks for the pictures Gabor and what a great story!

Shame those pieces of history are not being cared for and are not open to the public.

We're in the process of having voted in a government that wants to abolish subsidies on museums and all free public institutions so we're going nuts in the Netherlands also. The saying 'Lord forgive them for they know not what they do' springs to mind.

Marc.

Here is the situation few years ago from overhead view. Not much changed since then. These are the ones "not so important", there is also one additional Lansen inside the base.

This area is now once again part of the air base and strictly prohibited to enter. This the once was museum is not completely out of reach for civilians. : (  : (   : (

7tx51LF.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

On 1/31/2024 at 11:23 PM, jenshb said:

I find the cockpit a bit lacking although the resin ejection seat will help.  Wish there was a resin cockpit for that kit (there is one for the old Esci/Italeri/Airfix kit, but that is too wide) or a 3D printed cockpit set.  I would also recommend the wheels and the Ram Air Turbine as that is always extended when the aircraft is on the ground.  REsKit also makes a beautiful exhaust, although that will be partially hidden as the upper segment of the thrust reverser hangs down with loss of hydraulic pressure.

Thanks,

Can you advise on the manufacturer of the RAT and seat?

Marc.

Hi all,

Well TGIF.

I've had some great feedback above but can anyone advise on the aftermarket RAT? Which is best:

Thanks and enjoy the weekend,

P.S., Gabor, as advised I'll skip the corrected nose, I support your views on that.

Marc.

The nose is for the ESCI kit.

I think Maestro models are in some way related to Tarangus.

I ordered my kits straight from them, and they came in a Meastro box.

Shapewise the kit is very good, fit can be challenging,  but the kits are made by Special Hobby,  so I guess it goes with the territory. 

Hiya...with more than 15 tarangus viggens under my belts I have a good  svensexa of what is needed as a bare minimum and what can spice things up.

All new boxings of the JA37 have a correction sprut with new fin, and canards as well as a RAT.

Minimum needed are: turned brass pitot tubes from Master, CMK reverser petals and new wheels!

To further Spice things up there are an entré new exhaust from Res-Kit (it's gorgeous), PE for the cockpit, Pilot Replicas ejection seat, new fuselage pylons.

I also recommend having a look at wolf 3D resin, there are lots of nice stuff there.

https://www.wolf3dresinparts.at/shop/

19 hours ago, Aigore said:

Hiya...with more than 15 tarangus viggens under my belts I have a good  svensexa of what is needed as a bare minimum and what can spice things up.

All new boxings of the JA37 have a correction sprut with new fin, and canards as well as a RAT.

Minimum needed are: turned brass pitot tubes from Master, CMK reverser petals and new wheels!

To further Spice things up there are an entré new exhaust from Res-Kit (it's gorgeous), PE for the cockpit, Pilot Replicas ejection seat, new fuselage pylons.

I also recommend having a look at wolf 3D resin, there are lots of nice stuff there.

https://www.wolf3dresinparts.at/shop/

Thanks Aigore, I have this ket which I believe includes the fin, canards and RAT you mention:
TAR TA4803M:
SAAB JA37 Viggen

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Pitot tubes are on order.

I thought the reverser petals are not that visible - am I wrong?

Wolf 3D design looks fantastic - I am so happy that all these after market small companies are cropping up!

Marc.

The exhaust on viggen is huuuuuuge and the petals are at the very end of it. Sadly the petals in the box lacks detail and the upper petals always hangs down when parked.

As do the elevons, yes the JA have elevons while the AJ have ailerons and flaps. The two surfaces are simply connected on the JA.

Thrust-Reverser-Saab-37-Viggen.jpg