How to clean airbrush after using Future/Klear ?

Title says all : what is/are the product(s) to use to clean correctly an airbrush that was used to spray Future ?

I tried with alcohol and it works but it was quite difficult to get a good result, and I do not want to throw away my airbrush in a few weeks...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ;)

Thanks,

I have a slight problem with Windex : I don't think that the product is available in France (where I live)... or the name is different...

Maybe I can try another glass clearner as you say ) or buy a pure ammonia bottle.

Thanks for your reply ;)

Thanks,

I have a slight problem with Windex : I don't think that the product is available in France (where I live)... or the name is different...

Maybe I can try another glass clearner as you say ) or buy a pure ammonia bottle.

Thanks for your reply ;)

Look for Windolene and check my site for a complete discussion of Future or in your case, Klir.

wait....future is what based?thinner based? i thought it was acrliyc?

Yes, from what I already read, Future is an acrylic-based product... but just washing with water or alcohol does not yield good results (I tried)... Notice on bottle says to use ammonia... and window cleaner products like Windex are ammonia based...

Anyway, I will do a try WITHOUT using the airbrush first, I do not want to take the risk to damage it... (since I will use another glass cleaning product).

I usually run windex through the gun followed by Rubbing Alcohol. I worry any windex/water left in the brush will be a big headache next time I use enamels.

I've also used windshield washer solution in place of windex (when my wife steals the windex to waste on cleaning windows....)Seems to work just as well.

Yes, from what I already read, Future is an acrylic-based product...

Acrylic refers to the "particulate", not the carrier or thinner. It's alcohol based but must be removed with ammonia once cured.

But aint arcylics water based?!enamels thinner based right?

Short answer, no.

As a for instance, Gunze Sangyo Aqueous paints are acrylics. Their Mr. Color Lacquer line is also acrylic. The former is water base, the latter lacquer based, but both use acrylic particulate - the actual paint itself is plastic. The typical connotation of "acrylic paint" is that it's water/alcohol/ammonia based, but this isn't correct. This is why so many people have problems spraying Alclad, which calls for an acrylic (lacquer) primer.

Enamels are oil based. "Thinner" is just a generic term to describe whatever product is used to dilute the paint. Again, the typical connotation of "paint thinner" is white spirits as used for enamels and other oil based paints, but lacquer thinner is also "thinner" for lacquers (and enamels, FWIW), just as alcohol or ammonia are "thinner" for aqueous paints.

And lacquer thinner should remove Future residue without any problems. I always sprayed a cup full of Windex through my airbrush when using Future, to clear most of the gunk out, but ran a bit of lacquer thinner through before using it again to loosen things up and clear out any remnants (enamel user, thinned with LT).

@all Future-Experts:

How can I fix a bad future-job on a canopy? I mean: it looks really sh***y (a big drop ran all across the canopy and I only noticed after it had cured...) and I just don´t have a clue whether I should try to sand and polish or use ammonia and risk to ruin the whole canopy???

@all Future-Experts:

How can I fix a bad future-job on a canopy? I mean: it looks really sh***y (a big drop ran all across the canopy and I only noticed after it had cured...) and I just don´t have a clue whether I should try to sand and polish or use ammonia and risk to ruin the whole canopy???

Look, all of this is covered on my site under "The Complete Future" just click on the link in this message and all your questions will be answered. For your situation there are several options (yes, all covered in the article) but my favorite is to soak it in Future overnight then place on a piece of tissue to cure. The old coating will be removed and a new one will be in it's place.

Future is not reactive to any paints when applied as a sealant. If you soak acrylics in it for long periods of time (overnight) it will dissolve it. I use all sorts of paints on my models; acrylics, enamels, lacquers, etc. and have never had any of them react with Future on the model. What is it based on? Well, S.C. Johnson is not telling and I have not done an analytical on it. It may be alcohol based or it may be aqueous based, don't really know, what I do know is that it works great on models and canopies.

i only use future to airbrush canopys when i tint them, i mix food colring and future, but anyway, after spraying, i shoot pure ammonia threw it, works great, and after that, since i usualy use enamels, after i spray the ammonia threw i add a drop or two of laquer thinner threw to clean things out

josh