I wish I could find SFP... no stores around here seem to have it, even in the bargain bins!

That doesn't mean I'm without tomcat goodness though :worship: Dino Cattaneo's excellent F-14B model on MS FS2004 is most wicked! I just wish I could at least vary the ordinance loadouts. Also, I NEVER figured out how to install the guages correctly, hence, my tomcat is guageless :D

Hey, Skulls

Please tell me, do the wings actually sweep? does it do everything the F-14 should? is the cockpit accurate? I've been flying Falcon 4.0 with it's various modifications and flying the F-14, and while it's fun..it just doesnt have that...punch.

Please, do tell the details!

hey Viper,

the wing-sweep is controlled with the flaps (no flaps= wings swept/ full flaps= wings deployed with full flaps and slats extended), the #1 notch for flaps extends the wings and not the flaps (I.E. the cruise speed configuration). The flaps and elevators, etc seem to be pretty well modelled.

I couldn't speak as to the accuracy of the guages... as I said earlier the guages have to be installed seperately and I've never been able to make them work. (if you're wondering how I fly or navigate at all I use the GPS system and a LOT of guesswork! Landing the damn thing on a Carrier without ILS or a Landing Signal Officer is really effing hard!)

Afterburners are not realistically recreated. They're simply the top throttle setting and don't do much to the speed. There is a sound effect that comes with the download package that simulates breaking the sound barrier though, and that's pretty neat.

The weapons, of course, cannot be used or jettisoned, they're merely pretty wall-paper. My F/A-18E SuperHornet set at least has different loadouts you can have.

Overall, it's not bad to just cruise around in and look super cool. I'd rather have it in a combat simulator though (we SOOO need a good Tomcat combat sim)

Aw damn

See..the painful tradeoff is...in Falcon 4.0 , you can fly missions in the Tomcat (when you have the FreeFalcon 3 addon) and make kills, and it has a pretty good model and skin selection. Where as like you said in FS2004, it's got a great model, but the skin isnt that hot..but you are able to just fly around and relax, but you cant fly missions or make kills :worship:

You know, I'd love a full on Tomcat sim too, with perhaps 4 fully dynamic camp's (IE changing as you complete missions or dont complete them, like Falcon 4.0) Covering perhaps the 1970-1980 time period, then the 1980-1990 time period, the 1990-2000 time period then 2000-present time period. But..alas, "who wants to make a sim based on a fighter thats going out of service".....thats not the point! If thats the case, why do people still make flight sims about WW2 :D

Alas, we can only dream.

Also, I NEVER figured out how to install the guages correctly, hence, my tomcat is guageless 

You have to place all files that have to do with gauges in the map "gauges"in de main file of FS2004. Or you know that and i giving you info you already know.

I flew with the same tomcat you did and i must say a joy to fly.

Also, I NEVER figured out how to install the guages correctly, hence, my tomcat is guageless

You have to place all files that have to do with gauges in the map "gauges"in de main file of FS2004. Or you know that and i giving you info you already know.

I flew with the same tomcat you did and i must say a joy to fly.

in case you still don't know it:

the files with an .fx extension put them in the effects folder

the files with an .gau extension put them in the gauges folder

btw i'm flying that one too and also i downloaded some textures with the markings from Top Gun

I tried installing the guages and sfx where they were supposed to go and it didn't help... I believe you have to align each guage individually or something? Either way, I must be missing something. I may just have to uninstall it to clean out the mess and reinstall... I'm not sure what else to do.

:cheers: I can't play cr@p on this POS. This thing is an old PIII 350 MHz. Before it became our computer, it was a Pizza 222 LAN terminal. ~grumble~. And the stupid thing only has 2GB of hard-drive space. WAAAAAAAAH! :cheers:

No space to put a video card, no space to put a sound card. And the RAM SUCKS!!!pi_supermad.gif5.gif7.gif

Well, the thing about Lomac...specifically the Tomcat in LOMAC

Because the Tomcat is based on the flight model for the SU-33, one..it does the cobra (tho it is cool seeing a Tomcat do the Cobra manuver :blink: ) and two..it doesnt have wing-sweep function, and uses Russian weapons. It's a pretty sim, but for Tomcat combat, go with Falcon 4.0 with FreeFalcon 3 <_<

It'd be neat to have an F-14 sim again. I remember having F-14 Fleet Defender way back then. My best landing was in bad weather. I could barely see, and when I could finally see the deck there wasn't enough time to call the ball, and I was so shocked by the sudden appearance of the carrier deck that I slammed my 'Cat on the deck. I did manage to catch the 3 wire though!

Hey Animal, what version of Windows do you have?

You guys should really give sfp1 or wov a try, i think its one of the best sim out there?

and now that sfp1 goes for 10 dollars you can go wrong! the best part is that you can select what year you want the single mission to be in, so you wont have un matched fights such as a P-51 vs a Mig-29

Thought I might toss a few of these up, took em while getting my Tomcat fix today :cheers:

First up, a VF-213 Black Lions F-14D rolling in on an industrial plant:

BlackLionsTomcatattackingtarget.jpg

And the results!

Missionsuccessful.jpg

For Animal

VF-41 Old School Tomcat

VF-41oldschoolTomcat.jpg

And VFA-41 New class Super Hornet

VF-41NewschoolHornet.gif

And last but not least....

FEAR THE BONES!

FeartheBones.jpg

This was all with Falcon 4.0 with the FreeFalcon version 3 addon.