Photoetched details to clear parts

Hi guys,

I am now facing the problem of gluing a photoetched explosive cord to a canopy. (BAE Hawk, CMK cockpit kit)

Any idea how to do this?

I was thinking about using Future. But I am not sure if it works.

Thanks =)

I used Future to glue my panel elements (cardstock) to the cockpit (see "In Progress --> Pierre's Phantom"). For your canopy, it should work too, provided you give your etched part the required shape. I would recommend to Future the canopy first, and when you are happy with the result, glue the etched part using a little Future applied with a brush.

HTH,

Pierre

Edited by Scalephantomphixer

Whenever I want to attach a PE piece without any trace of a glue line or smudge, I use Micro Metal Foil Adhesive by Microscale. First bend the PE piece to its approximate final shape, then "paint" the backside (the attach side) using a fine brush with this stuff. Let dry fully, and then place it where you want it to go. No worries about glue lines since it's dry when you put it on, and it sticks quite nicely to boot!

HTH

------Bob

laskodi

Now why did'nt I think of that :worship: . Of course, I have that foil adhesive, it stays sticky even after it has dried. Used to annoy me when that darn foil kept sticking to my elbow while I was working. Sticks quite stubbornly as well and doesn't damage clear parts. After all PE is nothing else than somewhat thicker foil.

Thanks for that tip.

Pierre

but how strong is this "foil' glue?

I wouldn't use it to stick a landing gear strut to the model, but for photo etch and foil it should be fine provided that the etched piece is not in a position to be knocked off everytime you move the model (like pilot tubes)

I should say that I have used this only to foil small areas of car models, and not for any really large pieces of photo etch. As will all adhesives the larger the surface area of the bond, the better the hold will be.

HTH

-Chris

How strong is it? Well, it's purpose is to allow you to attach foil for a bare metal job, so it's plenty strong enough to hold PE. One thing, it is not a glue that bonds (like regular glue), it's a tacky substance that sticks like crazy! It's about as strong as white glue, to put it into perspective. I've used it for years without any PE pieces coming off.

HTH

-----Bob