One of my hobby buddies just gave me the Chopper II. Besides cutting the occasional Evergreen plastic, what is it good for? Can it cut through a light metal like aluminum?

The Chopper II

Don't get me wrong... I'll get lots of use out of it, but I want to unlock the full potential if there is any more.

Edited by My_name_1s_MUD

I have owned and used a Chopper for years. if you have to make many duplicate copies of something. ie. Interior ribs for aircraft, bomb and missile fins, sway brace bolts, railroad ties, seat belt buckles etc. You cant cut aluminum but wood plastic rubber and paper the Chopper is a god send. I even brought it into work once when I saw some poor smuck cutting tiny little fibre board squares with an Xacto knife :blink: What a boob! I made many hundreds of small uniform die-electric plates for a Sirius satellite prototype in just a few minutes. They all thought I was a god! Mine is prehistoric, like me, and made of wood believe it or not. You may not use it often but one day you'll need it. Trust me. :cheers:

Milt P

Edited by GForceSS

Alright,alright.....I`ll be serious ...but just for one second.

I would probably not use it for cutting aluminum (aluminium for my Brit friends) or brass or any metal , ferrous or otherwise. The Chopper II looks like it does not cut by a " shearing" action,but rather a crushing motion,relying on the blades sharpness to slice the object. If you tried to do so,you would just ruin the blade.

Take it from a guy who cuts metal for a living... ;)

Now back to the circumcisions.....or French revolution....OFF WITH THEIR HEADS !

sorry about that..... :cheers:

Paul T :blink:

I picked up one of these about a year ago and if you do a lot of scratchbuilding it is a must in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is if you are cutting a thick part, it will cut it at an angle. I think this is because the blade is so thin it bends halfway into the cut.

These were invented firstly for the model railroad crowd so you could make a bunch of sleeper/ties for hand laying track. It will come in handy for diorama work and probably a lot of other applications but it won't cut metal. The cutting edge is a single edge razor blade so you'll only be able to cut medium density materials.

hth