Spray Booths? How to Paint in an Apartment?!?

since im living an apartment with no balicony or patio (damn sunrooms!) does anytone have any good ideas for airbrushing? Best thing i can come up with is a spraybooth but they cost hundreds of $$. Anyone have any good plans to build a simple one? Im not too good at building anything but models (jury is still out on that one too lol) so im not looking for something too complex. let me know your ideas. thanks much!

Get yourself some plywood and make a box. Not too tough. Get yourself a bathroom exhaust fan and mount it on the box. Connect some drier hose to the fan. Make a piece of plywood that you can jam into the window openning. Cut a hole in the plywood to fit the other end of the drier hose and your in buisness.

i made mine out of an old counter-top...

the counter is my table, and an open door is my fan... scrap sheetrock is my blotter...

seriously...

like loyd said... simple plywood and a bath-fan... or a box fan IN the window... just make sure you have a blotter and dont use the wall... :worship:

put an air filter over the fan (which is blowing OUT of the house) to kkep down chemical entry into the motor and i think that will be OK for the mean time

Are you using acrylics or enamels?

If you're using acrylics just paint inside a cardboard box near a window. If you're using enamels do the range hood plywood box deal. If you do a search there are plans around here for "range hood spray booths."

Get yourself some plywood and make a box. Not too tough. Get yourself a bathroom exhaust fan and mount it on the box. Connect some drier hose to the fan. Make a piece of plywood that you can jam into the window openning. Cut a hole in the plywood to fit the other end of the drier hose and your in buisness.

That´s what I did too. I live in a one room flat and I built my own spray- booth to fit into the place that I have below my kitchen window. When I´m airbrushing I switch on the fan and put the hose out of the window.

Works fine.

Thomas

Edited by Thomas
since im living an apartment with no balicony or patio (damn sunrooms!) does anytone have any good ideas for airbrushing? Best thing i can come up with is a spraybooth but they cost hundreds of $$. Anyone have any good plans to build a simple one? Im not too good at building anything but models (jury is still out on that one too lol) so im not looking for something too complex. let me know your ideas. thanks much!

I spray in my basement and use a filtered resperator.... but I have a door that leads to a stairway into my basement and went to Walmart..picked up a large fan and when I spray... I turn it on facing out into the stairwell... works like a champ and keeps it clear of fumes... very surprised not to see the haze anymore when I spray future or other final coat on larger builds. Might be worth looking at one of those big fans for your window for a short term solution...just get the air moving out of your room for starters.

Cheers

Here's mine. It's a cheap (35 dollar) Sears range hood for the back wall. The rest of the structure is made from corrugated plastic from a sign company. It's great stuff. It's like corrugated cardboard, only it's a plastic material. It cuts like butter, and is stiff enough for this application. Everything's held together with duct tape and self-sticky Velcro tabs. I can break it down into 3 pieces and store it under my bed in less than a minute. Setup takes 2 minutes. The whole thing cost me about 50 bucks. I just stick the vented top of the range hood out my window for airbrushing.

Edited by RedHeadKevin