I wonder if anybody has experience in sanding/sawing resin i a bowl of water ?

The reason why i ask is the resin dust floating around my apartment after sanding.

Keeping the dust trapped in water seems like a good idea, but i wonder if it does anything to the resin ?

I usually introduce a few drops of liquid dish washing detergent into a cup of water and then dip the part that I am sanding into the water or sprinkle some of the mixture onto the surface. This helps both decrease the dust and helps lubricate the surface. After some of the resin dust/sludge accumulates, I will dip the part and wet/dry sand paper (or rinse under tap water) to clean off the accumulated sludge and monitor progress. I use this same approach for sanding plastic as well.

The idea of prevention of inhalation of resin dust is very prudent, but I think cutting and/or sanding under water sounds both difficult, imprecise and very messy!

Water does nothing to cured resin, and the dust from sanding is very toxic. Your lungs can't get rid of it through the normal self-cleaning process, so dust control is essentail! Bust out the bowl and the water. BTW, you dont have to sand underwater, as long as you add water to the surface, it will trap the dust. Just keep rinsing the work so you don't build up sludge and clog the paper.

Peter

I grind all my resin pieces on this jewelery water lap grinding wheel like this one pictured below. I picked it up at a gem show. It runs a small amount of water on the spinning diamond dust grinding wheel which both keeps the parts cool and free of warp, and eliminates all the dust. The dust turns into a slurry which I drain into a box, let dry and throw in the trash. It makes sanding resin a real pleasure.

MP

atuglrg.JPG

Edited by GForceSS
I grind all my resin pieces on this jewelery water lap grinding wheel like this one pictured below. I picked it up at a gem show. It runs a small amount of water on the spinning diamond dust grinding wheel which both keeps the parts cool and free of warp, and eliminates all the dust. The dust turns into a slurry which I drain into a box, let dry and throw in the trash. It makes sanding resin a real pleasure.

MP

atuglrg.JPG

what did that cost ya?

I LIKE!

MP

atuglrg.JPG

what did that cost ya?

I LIKE!

God it was so long ago. It was a floor model and the guy at the show just boxed it up and sold it to me for maybe $180.00 - $200.00 which included several extra wheels. I know its a lot but I just set up a work table every so often and get out a few Black Box sets and just go to town prepping the sets. Next thing I know my pals are coming over to use it. :lol: I would look on Ebay for a used one. Mine is very quiet and has a variable speed motor so I can slowly grind down small parts more carefully. I know new, they run +$400.00 . I know its a lot but I consider it a long term investment in my health.

Milt