More work done - this time I've rescribed and painted the tailplanes - the BMF finish using Tamiya Flat Aluminum and Light Gunmetal sprays. The aluminium is great, I'm not really happy with the gunmetal as it came out a bit dark and grainy looking, but maybe I should have polished the primer underneath a bit more? Maybe next Phantom....

Dunno what I'm going to use for the darker BMF on the fuselage behind the exhaust, maybe spray some Tamiya smoke over the top to darken it up with a bit of clear blue for the burned metal look?

I've painted the camouflage on the tailplanes as well, just as a bit of an experiment to see how the Gunze colours look, and using a mix of free-hand and blu-tack masking, also as an experiment. The colours came out alright, the two greens are so similar that it's hard to distinguish them a bit in the pics, but they look better to the eye.

I'm still looking for something to use as a template for rescribing the circles on the spine. I much prefer straight lines.

Pierre, thanks for the tip on the colour temp settings for the digi cam - it looks much better now. I knew that all those settings were on the camera for a reason, but till now didn't care to look.

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement, and I will keep you all posted as the build progresses. More leave next week :) so the progress should get a bit more rapid as well...

Finally got the BB cockpit for the FGR.2 so may start some of that too - So many bloody pieces in that pit!

Regards,

Trent

now for the pics - Left side upper....

Edited by BadCop
I'm still looking for something to use as a template for rescribing the circles on the spine. I much prefer straight lines.

Lookin' good, Trent. :lol:

Before I broke down and got the Verlinden scribing templates I used to use a plastic circle template and/or a draftsmans thin metal erasing shield . Both should be available fairly cheaply at most craft or office supply stores. Their biggest drawback is that sometimes they don't have the right sized hole that you need.

:lol:

Thanks Ray!

This is the particular aircraft that I'm going to do - Serial number 69-0305 - as seen in this picture flying over the Brisbane suburb of Corinda, a part of the area I cover at work!

Edited by BadCop

Gene,

I'd post a pic, but I just decided that they weren't on the RAAF Phantoms and sanded them off now. They are probably a bit flat to be considered a 'blade' antenna. more of a elongated bump, really. There are either side of of the nose, just a little aft of the front of the windscreen, a single one behind the 'cheek' intakes on the nose, and two about two thirds of the way up toward the canopy line.

Actually a little digging on ARC's walkaround pics shows them on an F-4G

f4-g_1.jpg

Regards,

Trent

Edited by BadCop

The RAAF only had Phantoms between 1970 and 1973, but a heap changed during that time. Most noticeable being the addition of slime lights and the Midas 4 gun muzzle, and not necessarily at the same time!

Here's a web site that I've been using for ref pics of RAAF Phantoms here. The details are a bit grainy for things like small antennas, but I've also gotten a book on the way from E-Bay that will hopefully have some better detail pics.

Also just looking at those Ref Pics, I've noticed that the BMF on the horizontal tailplanes is a dark metal, almost black, making the Tamiya Light Gunmetal spray colour I used for the centre section more accurate, and I've resprayed the lighter metal area there the same.

You can never do too much research, but on the other hand, sometimes you just have to accept it'll never be perfect, and just get the bloody thing built.

What I'm trying to figure out now are the blade antennas on the fairing behind the canopy. The kit has two moulded on, and tells you to cut off one, but in the pics in that website I can see something that might be one thin antenna, but might not be as well.

Been busy today, so no more progress, though tomorrow should be a different story!

Regards,

Trent

• 2 weeks later...

After being sidetracked with a minor obsession to get a 1/72 F/A-18 up to the same stage, I finally figured out how to get the circles rescribed. I made my own template out of a sheet of plastic card, drawing a circle of the right diameter then cutting out the hole with a sharp knife. Maybe not 100% circular, but 99% is good enough for me.

I've used the new Eduard canopy masks, they seem okay, and have put a coat of primer, ready to get the camo colours on.

I'm wondering whether to preshade or not? My chosen plane is as early in RAAF service so it wouldn't be hard to say that it's nearly brand spanking new, so I might limit weathering to a panel wash and a wee bit of post shading.

And yes, I have decided to tempt fate and have installed the nose pitot - any bets on how many times I'll break it off?

More Painting... That camo is a bugger to mask!

Andy, those decals are from AussieDecals, and I think they have gone out of business :wave: . Fortunately the now resurrected Hawkeye Decals also do some RAAF F-4E decals! :cheers:

Edited by BadCop

Thanks Craig - Here's some more camouflage done - now I just need to clean up some overspray, and then get the nose and gun muzzle painted black...

and (touch wood) haven't broken the pitot off yet! :banana: