Hi all,

Here's the contents shot of my second build entry. I've decided to go for the NMF/drab/invasion stripes option because;

a) It's an interesting half and half type scheme ( which I assume is on it's way to becoming all-over natural metal post D-day).

:cheers: I want to try the challenge of masking out the Invasion stripes.

c) You can never have too much practice with NMF's.

Having brush painted my P-51 I'm thinking of taking the rattle-can route this time, so it'll be very much an experiment with new techniques.

Should be fun, I'll keep you posted.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

After a bit of a break bought on by a Hasegawa Hellcat, Telford, etc, I finally got started last night. Just painted the interior (not a major job :rolleyes: ) and started the pilot.

Hopefully some pics of the assembled airframe at the weekend.

Here we go again...

Steve.

Steve - rattle can BMF tips

1. Heat the can up in v warm water for 5 mins for better paint flow

2. Shake the crapper out of it to mix well

3. Ensure model surface is smooth - any blemishes stick out like dogs nuts under BMF

4. Apply several light mist coats from the rattle can allowing 5-10 mins between each to dry (I'm too impatient to do this so my BMF are not quite as neat as they could be :crying: )

5. Move the can from side to side quite rapidy in applying the mist coats - that gives a more even thinner application (it wastes a sh*t load of paint though :( so you might get scroogy like me and not move it so much - bloody AS-12 is expensive stuff over here)

6. Apply the invasion stripes OVER the BMF - if you paint them first, then mask them & spray the BMF, because of the paint thickness from the can you can get a ridge of paint when you remove the masks (guess who learnt this the hard way :cheers: )

7. Use the can where you won't poison rest of family & wear a 2-stage gas mask - that stuff really stinks!

Have fun

Cheers Thommo, I'll take on board all that you've said.

A few points;

a) you're being modest, the Helldiver finish looks fantastic.

:lol: I was planning to go BMF, Drab, Invasion stripes, in that order which I think matches your suggestion (all sprayed except the Drab which will be brushed on Xtracrylic). I guess this is also the order that the real thing would have been done. Should I expect the same risk of build-up from the black and white sprays as from the silver? I'd be happy brushing on the black, but I was hoping to get a smoother result from spraying the white.

One other question, does the silver spray react well to masking with Tamiya tape (given primer and a couple of days curing period)?

c) I take your point about the smell, the girlfriend has already stipulated that any rattle-can action will be taking place outdoors :banana:. That said, she's buying me an airbrush for christmas, so It's a small price to pay.

Steve.

Cheers Thommo, I'll take on board all that you've said.

A few points;

a) you're being modest, the Helldiver finish looks fantastic.

:lol: I was planning to go BMF, Drab, Invasion stripes, in that order which I think matches your suggestion (all sprayed except the Drab which will be brushed on Xtracrylic). I guess this is also the order that the real thing would have been done. Should I expect the same risk of build-up from the black and white sprays as from the silver? I'd be happy brushing on the black, but I was hoping to get a smoother result from spraying the white.

One other question, does the silver spray react well to masking with Tamiya tape (given primer and a couple of days curing period)?

c) I take your point about the smell, the girlfriend has already stipulated that any rattle-can action will be taking place outdoors :o. That said, she's buying me an airbrush for christmas, so It's a small price to pay.

Steve.

Steve - if you use spraycans for the black & white, you may have this ridge problem. It can be minimised by spraying several light mist coats. Even if you do get a ridge, it can be carefully smoothed out with say 2000 grit sandpaper.

I've had no probs with Tamiya spray (AS-12) & Tamiya tape on the main body of the model, but a little problem on canopies where I got a bit of lifting of the silver when I too kthe tape off (I suspect this is because the canopy frames are not primed, but just undercoated straight with the internal cockpit colour (eg interior green) so it shows thru on the inside of the canopy).

I spray mine outdoors - hence my house has some bricks which are grey/silver (not careful enough with the newspaper barrier).

My AS-12 finishes are still not as good as MadMikes!

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

dude

thats looking very nice.....hope to see it completed soon.......always a fan of the matchbox p-47d ......one of my 1st kits long time ago......

cheers

brian a.k.a mr b

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

THe AS-12 benefitted froma near disaster I had spaying the white base for the stripes. I basically wasn't patient enough and sprayed too thickly and too soon after the previous coats. End result was thick white paint running down the side of the fuselage!

Bit of a panic ensued and I wiped the run with a damp tissue, taking off not only the white but the primer too, leaving bare plastic (this was the area behind the cockpit which is now drab. At this point I stepped away from it to calm down for 24 hours before sanding smooth and re-coating. I think I got away with it, but only because it happened to be on the camo panel.

Needless to say, when it came to the silver I was more cautious. As Mike says, I sprayed thin coats from about a foot away, leaving around 15 mins between coats. I think it took about four in total, maybe five in the areas where it needed to cover the black paint. It was spayed at room temp (no heating in water Thommo, but I did follow your instructions about shaking the cra**er out of it to the letter! :o). It was done outside at about 5c and with an occasional gentle breeze (hardly ideal, but the build will be over before it warms up again over here).

After this one, masking will hold no fears. Neither will BMF's, but clearly yhey will still need to be treated with respect; my new mantra, patience, patience, PATIENCE.

Steve.