OK, modifying this into a Bravo model obviously included re-shaping the engine fairings on the back. One side looks OK, purely by good fortune, but how do I get rid of these little imperfections on the other side?

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Here's the (probably 95% or so) finished modification to the gun. The NACA vents were taken off of the Hase kit, and the front half is the piece from this kit. I still have to fine tune it a bit, but I think it came out OK, although now looking at the pictures, it kind of looks as if the gun sits at a funky angle. Hopefully it's just the direction the photo is taken...opinions, please :banana:.

but how do I get rid of these little imperfections on the other side?

James,

Did you use epoxy putty for the conversion? What I'd suggest is to go back and add a bit more putty, let it dry thoroughly, and sand it back to shape. To give the epoxy putty some additional strength, coat the parts with superglue and sand. This will seal the putty, and will make it much stronger than the putty alone.

James,

Did you use epoxy putty for the conversion? What I'd suggest is to go back and add a bit more putty, let it dry thoroughly, and sand it back to shape. To give the epoxy putty some additional strength, coat the parts with superglue and sand. This will seal the putty, and will make it much stronger than the putty alone.

Sweet. I was able to fix the fairing, but didn't put CA glue on it. I'll do that, sounds like a pretty good idea.

Wing Nut,

You were my inspiration for getting this thing started, and you were supoosed to be the one that was going to show me the way on this build :cheers:. Thanks for the encouraging words, and I hope you can continue work on yours real, real soon!

It's definately a 2-way street, watching your build has me "chomping at the bit" to get busy again! As soon as my basement reconstruction is complete, which will be within a couple weeks, i'm jumping back into my Tomcat build with both feet :cheers:

Keep up the great work, your attention to detail is very inspiring!

It's definately a 2-way street, watching your build has me "chomping at the bit" to get busy again! As soon as my basement reconstruction is complete, which will be within a couple weeks, i'm jumping back into my Tomcat build with both feet :bandhead2:

Keep up the great work, your attention to detail is very inspiring!

Thanks! I've got the nose on and the gaps filled, it just needs to be sanded...but, DAMN FLU :bandhead2:. I feel like crap and don't want to take the chance of FUBARing something because I can't see straight.

Well, I feel so much better today, so I decided to jump back in. This is what I've done today. I think the Sidewinders are a little bit too dark shade of blue. No problem, I've got a ton of AIM-9s in the spares box.

Well, got a bit more done on it today. Here's the covered burner cans (thank you Steel Beach), that I went ahead and painted because after dryfitting them, they fit so perfectly they won't require any filling or sanding :o! The red cover turned out way too shiny, so I have to dull that up a little bit.

Oh, yeah, and while you're looking at these...I've got some old VF-101 decals lying around (1/72). Instead of leaving them plain red, what if I put the Reaper logo on each burner cover?

Here's a shot of the gear door. I modified it to represent a Bravo model. I still have some slight re-shaping to do with the ECM (I think that's what it is :o) bump on the door. Also, I'm supposed to remove that from the other side, right? Judging from my reference pics, I think I'm supposed to.

Sorry, this picture is really sh*tty quality. I have no idea why :).

James looks good bud,

but on the ECM bumps by the intake, the smaller one you added, the one thats closer to the gear well closer to the intake itself, thats the wrong one, the one that goes there is the one from the hase kit that is a bit more longer and its a 2 piece part from the hase kit. Check your Hase instructions and you'll see what I mean, it should be a easy quick fix. Thought I help point that out to you since your putting all this hard work in to it.

Later

Mike

James looks good bud,

but on the ECM bumps by the intake, the smaller one you added, the one thats closer to the gear well closer to the intake itself, thats the wrong one, the one that goes there is the one from the hase kit that is a bit more longer and its a 2 piece part from the hase kit. Check your Hase instructions and you'll see what I mean, it should be a easy quick fix. Thought I help point that out to you since your putting all this hard work in to it.

Later

Mike

Great! Thanks for the info, Mike, that helps a lot! I can always count on you to set me straight :).

Even better...

Oh yeah...and I got the VX-9/30 sheet from you guys, too. The only one I missed was the VF-103 one. Was about to order it last week, and "SOLD OUT" :). Santa Cat would have been perfect for this time of year, dammit!