Question for all of our combat jet pilots here on ARC

You know, I don't fly on "fast movers".......Just Helicopters and WE still get complaints about flying over a town or city. The only time we didn't get a complaint was a flight down the Vegas "Strip".

I am sure any other aviator can attest to the "Tropicana Transition"........

:banana:

Matt

I've spent most of life under one or another of Ellington's patterns and I've loved every second of it. My cubicle mate is also a plane buff and we both jump up and run outside to see what ISN'T a T-38 or F-16. I've got an okay seat for the annual Wings Over Houston, too.

I live under the pattern of a small municipal airport and have had the pleasure of seeing the odd Spitfire and Thunderbolt burbling overhead.

Gimme more!

I lived in a barrack block near the end of the runway at Brize Norton and for the first week , was woken up by the first VC10 every morning.

After the first week, got used to it.

I also lived near the runway at Wittering and never had a problem with the HARRIERS - easily the noisiest aircraft in service,

Rule of thumb - if you dont like jet noise - DONT BUY THE HOUSE !

The airfield was there before you were.

That idiot Sting, of Police fame, bought a mansion near Boscombe Down and is actively trying to close the base.

If he doesnt like the noise, he shouldnt have bought it in the first place.

That base was there before he bought the property and is of greater national importance than he is.

Where's my baseball bat, wussie!

(Ijust finished watching all 3 series of Titus)

Mr. Djack I believe the hornets were from VMFA-122, the "Crusaders". Just to inform you. :D . No but I realized that once I get my job in Aerospace Engineering, that's what I'm going to major in hopefully, I plan to move by some base or plant, just to see the planes. I miss them very, very much.

Paul

I used to live near Gulfport/Biloxi Regional Airport in Mississippi. Used to have ANG Phantoms in and out of there all the time, plus a lot of other units visiting for training. Remember a while back there was a det of F/A-18s from VFA-37 there.

One time a C-130 came in so low it damn near rattled the filings out of my teeth...did I complain? HELL NO, I was (and still am) thankful those guys were up there doing what they do!

-Mike

I am stationed at Dyess, so I have a fairly intimate knowledge of there area around here. Willie, I know exactly what park you are talking about. Its called Rister park, and is right across from the transient ramp near the fire department. That place is awesome at dusk during the springtime, spent many evenings there. If you follow Military drive south you travel the whole length of the runway. Have had a couple of "Top Gun" moments trying to race a Bone as it took off. I live 8 miles east of the base and still clearly hear the Bones doing night ops. Here recently, we have had a veritable airshow. Last week, 2 F-22s came in and did touch and gos, an F-4E put on a little performance before setting down, (it was a drone and was all oranged up, :P ) and Thunderbird #3 I think came in on Thursday by itself and put on a hell of a solo display. Too bad my digi cam was at my parents in Dallas or I would have gotten some great shots of all of this. The linear air park here is great too. Anyone who comes through here should definetely stop and have a look-see.

My fiance and I just bought a house that's practically within walking distance to the end of one of the runways of Maguire AFB. So far it's been a steady stream of C-17's and KC-10's coming and going plus the occasional chartered flight. I still get a kick out of it and they don't fly after 11pm or so, so it's no real burden. I love it. Wish I had lived there when F-4s were based there....

As a kid my mam had a flat under the main flightpath to Dyce airport, mostly civil stuff on short finals with the occasional highlight going through toward Lossiemouth or Kinloss. Will always remember the Vulcan climbing out on full power and blanking out the late evening sun. In 1982 there was an airshow with a fair selection of stuff, Concorde, B-17 'Sally B', and a low fly past by a Lightning F-6 at Mach 1.2. As we watched it come along the runway at 100 feet my mam said, "What a lovely quiet airplane". Don't know what she said just after it passed, couldn't hear a damn thing for the next half hour :cheers:

Weekends and holidays were spent out at Alford with all the good stuff from Lossiemouth training overhead. Too many stories to tell here but the best was looking down on a Tornado flying along the 'South and North' road as I walked along the Wellhouse road. There's less than 100 feet of hight difference between the two.

Living in Inverurie means I don't see much of that anymore :cheers:

Edited by Col.