1/32 CF-104 Starfighter

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm back with a minor update, if only to prove that I'm still working on it. Some of painting has been completed in the cockpit area. Still lots of fiddly details remain to be painted, but at least the project isn't dead.

Upper part of instrument panel is simply held in place with a blob of blu-tac. It will be glued to the fuselage once the cockpit is installed.

DSC00076.JPG

DSC00079.JPG

DSC00081.JPG

And the seat after some painting as well. Again, still lots of details to paint, plus weathering.

DSC00083.JPG

Not much progress to report, but slow progress is progress all the same.

Thanks for looking.

Back with a small update, as I have made some progress in the last few days......plus I'm screwing around with my new camera. :thumbsup:

In a rush for the build to make a "debut" at the local IPMS meeting this past Wednesday, I hurriedly closed up the fuselage.

P5050092.JPG

Pylons have been added to the wings and centreline (PWMP items):

P5050093.JPG

And just some miscellaneous views of the installed cockpit, as I play with the zoom and macro settings. Still lots of detail painting to do, but like I said, I was in a hurry to close things up, and bring it to the meeting. I can do the detail painting later on.

P5050094.JPG

P5050099.JPG

P5050100.JPG

P5050101.JPG

And just to give you an idea of size, I put it up beside a 1/48 kit I built a while ago.

P5050102.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Edited by smithery
  • 3 weeks later...

Back with another update. The Zipper is pretty much ready for paint. Just have to mask off the cockpit, and it's time to pull out the airbrush.

Sure is a big bugger......had to stand on top of a chair to look down and get it all in the frame:

P5230244.JPG

Completed, weathered, and installed True Details cockpit with CAM seat:

P5230245.JPG

P5230246.JPG

P5230247.JPG

P5230248.JPG

P5230250.JPG

Just a few close up shots of the various resin details that will be hiddden on the belly

Forward facing RWR's:

P5230252.JPG

Rear facing RWR's:

P5230253.JPG

PWMP centreline and wing pylons:

P5230254.JPG

Now, where did I put that airbrush?

Thanks for looking.

Hi Kevin What a coinsidence that were both working on the same kit at the same time. Yours looks great so far. Cant wait to see it painted up. Excellent job on the cockpit. I was just browsing around the forum,(now that its back up) and ran across yours. Well done.

Regards

Trevor Murphy

Thanks for the kind words guys, I do appreciate it. Camo is on, but touchups are needed. No pics until the painitng is all done.

Trevor, it won't turn out anywhere near as good as your scratchbuilt item, but I'm havning fun with it. That's all that matters at this point.

Jean, not sure where this one is going to go when done. By the time the pitot is glued in place, it will be over 2 feet long.

Erick, despite the age of the kit, I still recommend it. Fit is pretty good, but the fuselage needs some detail added. I'm not bothering, as it is beyond my skills at this point.

Thanks takeitez. You are correct in your memory that the kit has raised detail, and very fine detail at that.

I'm not rescribing the kit, as I would like to get the kit done sometime this year, and I simply do not have the patience to tackle that kind of work. I'll be happy if it just looks halfway decent when done.

:worship:

Back again with a small update, as the paint is on. Still have to paint the exhaust and landing gear bays, then it's ready for gloss and decals. Thanks for looking.

P6010277.JPG

:lol: paint looks real nice (and simple :whistle:)

Is that white thing about an inch (in the pic) back from the pit a refueling panel? (jw...)

Now major pre-shaded weathering? :lol:

Edited by AnthonyWan

No pre-shading on ths one Anthony, but yes, it will be "sufficiently" weathered. Considering it was common practice to clean the aircraft with lacquer thinner soaked rags, you can expect the paint to be a little "uneven" in appearance.

BTW, the patch behind the cockpit is a UHF aerial panel. There's a clear photo of it in the Walkaround section.

:worship:

Edited by smithery

I don't normally comment on jets only because I don't tipically build them but great work, this brings back some memories!! When will Canada get a proper airforce again? I sure hope soon!!!