First Airbrush attempt

I know the build is far, but only got the courage to do this now. Hope some enjoy this. Just a side note this is my first build in almost 26 years, how I missed this hobby.

Going to do the camo next.

Paint used so far Tamiya acrylic XF-60 - Dark Yellow.

Paint for the camo markings,

Tamiya acrylic XF-61 - Dark Green.

Tamiya acrylic XF-64 - Red Brown.

Pic 1

Front view

fvwt.jpg

Pic 2

Side view with turrent off

svwt.jpg

Pic 3

Side view from the rear

rsvwt.jpg

Pic 4

Rear with turrent off

bevwt.jpg

Thanks for letting me put this up.

Mark :banana:

p.s. hope the pictures work now, moved them to photobucket

Edited by SirM
Oohh I love a Late Tiger, my favorite :)

Where's the zimmerit ? :banana:

Looks good !

I didn't know what zimmerit was till, I got to the painting stage, and well there isn't any in the kit, so this one will have to be without. Minster of Finance has cut off model budget for the month. :)

Thanks for the comment. "_._"

Edited by SirM

Mark, It looks awesome....beware you will now be addicted to airbrushing.

One technique I was taught by an armour modeller. Using your airbrush, spray the whole tank in flat black, then when that dries, get you airbrush loaded up with your base colour and instead of spraying the whole thing, go to each individual panel start spraying lightly in the middle of the panel and slowly work your way to the edges. It will leave a little black around the edges of the panels and give you a really amazing weathered look. It almost like pre shading for tanks. I wish I had some pics of my Centaur or my M-1A1 Abrams so you could see it. It looks really awesome and is a really cool effect. Just helps to break up the base colour a little.

Anyways, the tank looks really good. I now have the urge to built another tank.

Hi dews, I am already addicted. :banana:

Thanks for the tip, I will use it on the next tank.

It is okay to breath now, I will be doing the two planes I have first.

Next Projects, which first.

Su-27 Flanker B

F15-E Strike Eagle w/bunker buster

Hi some more pics.

Pic 1

Front view with camo

fvwc.jpg

Pic 2

Side view with camo

svwc.jpg

Pic 3

Rear view with camo

rvrsc.jpg

Pic 4

Top view with camo

fftc.jpg

What still needs to be build, painted and added.

Pic 1

The crew

crew.jpg

Pic 2

The tracks - any suggestions with regards painting them? Yes / No?

trax.jpg

Pic 3

The small stuff - like the cables, shovel, ect.

acces.jpg

Thanks for the thread once again. :banana:

Last update for today.

Pic 1

Left view tools added.

alvnt.jpg

Pic 2

Top view tools added.

atvnt.jpg

Pic 3

Rear view tools added.

arvnt.jpg

Pic 4

Right view tools added.

asvnt.jpg

Pic 5

Front diagonal view tools and turrent.

asvwt.jpg

The colour isn't that great on these, but you can see the tools at least.

The radio aerial, home made using a cable bag tie.

:thumbsup:

Great job for a first time what kind of airbrush do you have?

Thank canadian_camo for the kind comment, I have two.

I have the Aztek A4305 and the nozzels I used to do the paint were these.

Fine Line Nozzle (Tan) 

General Purpose Nozzle (Gray) 

.70mm Nozzle (Orange) 

The other one is a Badger 350 - not used this one for this job yet.

A question please to anyone.

For the final wash

DO I mix 1 part red brown with 1 part semi gloss black and 3 parts thinner.

or 1/2 parst red brown to 3 parts thinner.

Not sure about this any suggestions? I am trying to give the paint an aged look.

• 2 weeks later...
Mark, It looks awesome....beware you will now be addicted to airbrushing.

One technique I was taught by an armour modeller. Using your airbrush, spray the whole tank in flat black, then when that dries, get you airbrush loaded up with your base colour and instead of spraying the whole thing, go to each individual panel start spraying lightly in the middle of the panel and slowly work your way to the edges. It will leave a little black around the edges of the panels and give you a really amazing weathered look. It almost like pre shading for tanks. I wish I had some pics of my Centaur or my M-1A1 Abrams so you could see it. It looks really awesome and is a really cool effect. Just helps to break up the base colour a little.

Anyways, the tank looks really good. I now have the urge to built another tank.

You have to be careful doing this, as the black pre-shade can adversely affect the next colour. I tried this on a 1/35 Pnazer Mk IV and when I applied the dark yellow, the colour appeared to be an olive green. I showed it to my daughter and she said I must have failed art class. She reminded me that colours are affected by applying one over the other.

Cheers

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all thanks for looking, yip I know I am sllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooow.

I have been learning the fine art of washes, I always thought you did that when you showered or bathed. <_<

Pic 1

wcs.jpg

Pic 2

wlhs.jpg

Pic 3

wrv.jpg

Pic 4

wtv.jpg

Pic 5

wtvz.jpg

Things still to do.

Matt finish

Rust, smoke, sand pigments.

Paint crew - this I think is going to take long as there is 4 so will finish the diaroma and tank first and add crew as I finish them to the diaroma.

Paint and wash diaroma

Here is my first attempt at a diaroma.

No the Blu-tack, prestick will not be staying on the diaroma, will be clued down.

First a pick of my stash pile, I know not pretty at the moment but working on it.

stash.jpg

Pic 1: After soap bath and drying.

dww1.jpg

Pic 2: The walls I am going to use.

dww2.jpg

Pic 3: After grey coat for road and masked for frame colour.

dww3.jpg

Pic 4: Masket and with unpainted walls.

dww4.jpg

Pic 5: Idea of how the broken wall and bits will lay.

dww5.jpg

Pic 6: With the tank on from behind the walls. Yes the blu-tac will go :cheers:

dww6.jpg

Pic 7: Another one with the tank on different angle.

dww7.jpg

Pic 8: Another one with the tank and another angle.

ddw8.jpg

The base willl be getting a dark wash on the road and pavement after a few highlighted cobbles have been painted and then some european dust to make it all like a dusty cobble stone road and pavement.

The walls need a wash too to add in the morter and also a few highlighted bricks and touch ups.

The railway line will get a dry paint of metalic to give it the proper look.

The base will get a nice coat of oil paint to make it more wood like. :D

Okay here is the question do I put as many broken chunks of wall as I have on in the pictures?

Thanks for your comments and looking I appreciate it.

Edited by SirM

Oh wow, it is amazing how a diorama can bring life to a subject. This is going to look excellent when you are finished. Keep posting your progress, I am learning quite a bit about diorama building.

:cheers: :D

J.C.

The wash has made a huge difference to the look of the tank, now you can really start to have fun with the weathering...

Okay here is the question do I put as many broken chunks of wall as I have on in the pictures?

The big chunks of rubble on the sidewalk (pics 5 and 7) would look more realistic if they were more randomly arranged, and of varying sizes. At the moment they're all approximately the same size and look almost equally spaced- try clumping 2 or 3 together, having a couple of much bigger blocks, and some much smaller bits of debris.

Edited by The Migrant
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

looks neat for the first try! Amazing job on the camo!

One thing (only so you don´t forget to paint them): you seem to have forgotten to paint the rails for the Streetcars, but I can´t tell at this early stage. Other than that, it looks great so far! ;)

István

The wash has made a huge difference to the look of the tank, now you can really start to have fun with the weathering...

The big chunks of rubble on the sidewalk (pics 5 and 7) would look more realistic if they were more randomly arranged, and of varying sizes. At the moment they're all approximately the same size and look almost equally spaced- try clumping 2 or 3 together, having a couple of much bigger blocks, and some much smaller bits of debris.

Hi The Migrant, I was thinking the same thing, I have some smaller pieces in the box and will clumb a few together.

Hiya,

looks neat for the first try! Amazing job on the camo!

One thing (only so you don´t forget to paint them): you seem to have forgotten to paint the rails for the Streetcars, but I can´t tell at this early stage. Other than that, it looks great so far! ;)

István

Hi István

I have painted the rails lately, they weren't painted in the pictures above. I will post some more pictures of what I have done (maybe tonight) when I get home and have done the dry paint of the silver on the tram rails.

Thanks for the kind remarks everyone.

I am busy with the weathering and should have that finished soon.

It is looking very good but I'd advise you to use some Mig pigments or pastel chalk powder to weather the Tiger, if you haven't considered this already. Take a look at Missing-lynx gallery for some examples.

Good day all,

I have done a bit of weathering on both the tank and the diaroma.

Pic 1

wt1.jpg

Pic 2

wt2.jpg

Pic 3

wt3.jpg

Pic 4

wt4.jpg

Pic 5

wt5.jpg

Pic 6

wt6.jpg

Pic 7

wt7.jpg

Pic 8

wt8.jpg

I still have to finish building and painting the crew.

Thanks for looking, comments most welcome.

Mark B

Edited by SirM