1/48 Tamiya or Monogram GR.1/AV-8A?????

Hi, I want to restart my 1/48 Harrier GR.3 project and just wondering what kit i should buy to improve mine (Airfix), i have seen some boxes there from Tamiya and Monogram, i want to convert it in Gr.3 as seen during Falklands/Malvinas War. I need to know what's the best option.

Does any of these kits (In case they are not the same one) feature Pegasus engine as seen in Tamiya Sea Harrier? .....what about the Stenciles? <_<

Thanks in advance.

They are completely different kits. You will be lucky to find either, as they are both long OOP. The Monogram is superior in terms of shape, but does has raised panel lines and does not have the engine. Tamiya also has raised panel lines, includes an engine, but some shape issues.

Edited by LanceB

Better look at your Tamiya kit again there Lance

Both kits have raised panel lines.

For what it's worth, I'm taking the Monogram AV-8A and am grafting the Tamiya nose and other Tamiya "SHAR bits" onto it for the Sea Harrier that I am going to build for the Falklands War GB.

My suggestion is that you go out on Ebay and get the Monogram kit. They are fairly easy to find (I just looked and found no less than SIX of them out there).

Cheers!

John

I've built dozens of Harrier kits over the years - and would honestly avoid the Tamiya kit(s) - unless you want to show off the "Pegasus". The Mono GR1/AV8A is a good starting point - the LRMTS nose and RWR/FWR fairings on the fin are easy to scratch-build.

As an alternative to the above ways and means, you could use the Airfix kit with add ons. Heritage Aviation (KATANACOLLECTIBLES on E-Bay UK) sell various odds and ends (some good, some not so good!!) to improve the Airfix kit. Airwaves also do a PE set which greatly enhances a very sparsely populated 'pit. Use a Paragon MB Mk6 seat (for the jagular) and you're there ....almost!!

Panel lines on all kits are raised (apart from the fuselage on Airfix's SHAR2)

Happy V/Stolling!!!

Bill

Oh great, thanks for replying, i think will try to get a cheap Mono Harrier on Ebay. B)

Surgery will be required to get a nice Gr.3, my favorite Harrier version! :P

Greetings from Perú