What's with the silver paint?

The '15 and V-22 were just test subjects (V-22 seen in International Airpower Review, Vol 19), but what advantage do they think a silvery paint provides? Does it help blend in with a lit sky or light reflected from clouds?

I dont think youl get an answer for that one! :cheers:

my semi-educated guess is its something to do with RAM or related fields

eitherway: there will be a reason, just we will probaby never know it!

Edited by Raymond

Its a specialized paint mixture developed by Dupont that has IR absorbant capabilities. To what exact precentage and what mixture grants this I dont know as its classified in the relm of OPSEC, however I do remember and article being printed about 5 or 6 months ago talking about how it was the new big thing in granting an aircraft greater IR protection simply by applying this new, though high cost, paint.

Also, International Air Power Review mentions in their article on the MV-22 that the Marines have also experimented with that paint scheme on an AH-1 and an AV-8B. Interesting.

I dont think youl get an answer for that one! :thumbsup:

my semi-educated guess is its something to do with RAM or related fields

eitherway: there will be a reason, just we will probaby never know it!

Actually it is part of a conspiracy!

Since the companies may not get royalties for the shape of the A/C, one of them had this though:

"Now, whats the worst thing we could do to those modellers??? Eureka!! Give these A/C a near impossible to duplicate paint scheme MAUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Letter forwarded, and bonus recieved.

Legal disclamer: The above was meant completly in jest. Any resemblance to an an actual on topic response is purely coincidental. Darn, weres Fishwelding when you need these?!?!?!

Actually it is part of a conspiracy!

I knew it was a conspiracy. I knew it. I knew it. I knew it!!!!!

WB (so they won't know who it was who answered)

Ahem!

WB®

(the REAL WB, who incidentally did not post the above)

Edited by Wild Bill