Does the Airfix (Heller) new release Constellation have Aer Lingus Dec

Roy, Liam, You guys might like to take a read of:

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/civil/mansconnie.htm

while you're waiting for your Constellations, though I gather the toolings have changed since I built these (and discussed them with Jonathan)

Another shop to try is Cheltenham Model Centre 01242 234644, they do mail order railway stuff - so plastic should be no different.

- I'm sure I saw at least 1 Connie kit in there last weekend, and will check again this tomorrow.

Of course, the Fokker F-27! Never got my hands on either version and it was a kit that I'd been pushing for reissue for some time seeing as how many people kept asking for it.

Ditto the Fouga Magister, which had rarely been since since Humbrol bought Airfix in 1986. That was another kit I kept submitting year in year out, and had suggested IAC markings in a possible reissue.

I think the Heller Magister is a better kit! :)

By my reckoning, there are very few Airfix aircraft kits that weren't released in the Palitoy or Humbrol years - F-27, Basset, JP-3 amongst them.

I think the Heller Magister is a better kit! :cheers:

By my reckoning, there are very few Airfix aircraft kits that weren't released in the Palitoy or Humbrol years - F-27, Basset, JP-3 amongst them.

Aye, that's been the topic of a many a long car journey with Trev up and down the M5 over the years. I think the Me 163 was never reissued by Humbrol/Airfix, nor the SARO SR.53 and the SRN.1 hovercraft (hey its a flying machine of sorts!).

The JP.3 was being pushed as candidate for rerelease (amongst others on the usual long list), though I seem to remember it was a bit of a mishmash of versions. The Heller Magister is the better of the two, but the Airfix kit would have been the easier to mould, logistically speaking.

Edited by Jonathan Mock
Sorry Liam, my bad....

http://www.abcmodelsport.net/

This is where I got mine.

http://www.abcmodelsport.net/p350828/Airfi...stellation.html

There is no way of knowing if it is in stock or not from the website though. I ordered mine about 5 weeks ago, got it yesterday. I rang them to see if it was in stock but they said they had been snowed under for Airfix orders and were waiting for one last container to come in. They didn't know then what would even show up. I say again, phone TAHS in the morning. I'll also check out Marks Models in the morning....ha ha!

BTW, it's the Heller kit reboxed. And yes, it's got Qantas, Aer Lingus and the Connie decals.

Thanks man. That link says the Connie has Quantas, HARS and BOAC????? Guess they either didn't look in the box or they know something about Aer Lingus that we don't! :thumbsup:

I'll give TAHS a call in the morning and see what they have. If there's one in Marks Models, let me know.

Thanks again for the heads-up

Liam

Roy, Liam, You guys might like to take a read of:

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/civil/mansconnie.htm

while you're waiting for your Constellations, though I gather the toolings have changed since I built these (and discussed them with Jonathan)

Another shop to try is Cheltenham Model Centre 01242 234644, they do mail order railway stuff - so plastic should be no different.

- I'm sure I saw at least 1 Connie kit in there last weekend, and will check again this tomorrow.

Sorry to raise anybodies hopes. I looked in CMC yesterday - and another shop that sells models in Cheltenham - no Connies in either.

Another to try is www.anticsonline.co.uk I saw an Airfix Connie in their Gloucester shop a few weeks ago.

Tim

02-10-06

Guys, I just got a reply from a model shop I e-mailed re: The Airifx Connie.

Hi,

We have the model in stock it does not have aer lingus markings it only comes with the decals as per our web site

Cheers

Phil.

This is in reference to the kit numbered 08008. Most of the ads I have seen for this kit say it has the BOAC markings and two other options, Quantas and HARS. Another model shop reckons it has the Aer Lingus markings, Quantas and HARS.

Can someone please confirm what the decal options are in this kit?

Thanks in advance?

Liam

02-10-06

Guys, I just got a reply from a model shop I e-mailed re: The Airifx Connie.

Hi,

We have the model in stock it does not have aer lingus markings it only comes with the decals as per our web site

Cheers

Phil.

This is in reference to the kit numbered 08008. Most of the ads I have seen for this kit say it has the BOAC markings and two other options, Quantas and HARS. Another model shop reckons it has the Aer Lingus markings, Quantas and HARS.

Can someone please confirm what the decal options are in this kit?

Thanks in advance?

Liam

Schemes are as follows:

A - Qantas

B - HARS Connie

C - Irish Airlines

The BOAC thing came about as a result of the scheme being decided and announced before either myself or Trevor Snowden were consulted and able to check whether the Heller tooling would be suitable - turns out it wasn't so the BOAC scheme was dropped and the Irish scheme substiuted.

Ask the model show to open the box!

02-10-06

Dear Jonathan:

Thank you for clearing that up...I have found a few web-shops who are advertising this kit with BOAC markings and I thought it may have been a regional thing, you know, BOAC for English release, Aer Lingus for Ireland and so on....

Today, I got my copy of Scale Aicraft Modelling and they have it listed with the correct markings.

Thanks again

Liam

ps, you worked for Airfix? <_<

With respect, I would like to ask if you were aware that BOAC did actually fly an L-1049 Super Constellation?

According to this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BOAC-History-Charl...ie=UTF8&s=books

I got this book about 1 month ago, haven't read it just yet, but on page 88, at the top is a photo of a Super Connie in BOAC markings but with a US serial. The following text is below it, "L-1049D Super Constellation N6503C was leased from Seaboard and Western Airlines in 1955-56 for Tourist-Class transatlantic services."

I have two of the said Airfix examples, 1 built in Quantas markings, but I have to admit, BOAC markings would have been fantastic. Of course the main BOAC fleet consisted of L-049, L-049E, L-749 and L-749A Constellations, but at least they flew one L-1049 in BOAC markings. So I hope that helps. :thumbsup:

My appologies, if you were already aware of this fact. :cheers:

Thanks for that David. The decision to do the BOAC version was based on photos of the standard Connies. We did have a guy who was going to supply some stuff for the BOAC Super Connie scheme, but he didn't come through, and no-one was quite sure what version were were getting out of Heller (saga in itself).

In the end the Irish scheme was substituted because deadlines were looming - expediency over preference I'm afraid!

• 2 months later...