Hello all

I am attempting my first preshading and wash and weathering on my hornet, I use MM enamels and was wondering what is the best wash for enamels Water color or oils,?? I vave a basic 2$ watercolor kit and i just bought Cotman oils black and sepia with Midwest Aero Gloss Thinner.

Edited by ThunderGrunt
Hello all

I am attempting my first preshading and wash and weathering on my hornet, I use MM enamels and was wondering what is the best wash for enamels Water color or oils,?? I vave a basic 2$ watercolor kit and i just bought Cotman oils black and sepia with Midwest Aero Gloss Thinner.

Hi,

Shameless plug but I make a range of washes

Flory_Models_Weathering_Wash_2.jpg

For a full Photo "How To" please go here http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showforum=94

It is available on Ebay to. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLORY-MODELS-WEATHER...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Phil_Flory

THanks phil ill check it out, I ordered ( 4) DK.GRay LT.Gray. Black and Dark brown I model mostly USN/USMC modern day A/C. but don't know which brown LT Or Dark. you pick .

Thanks

Eugene

Edited by ThunderGrunt
THanks phil ill check it out, I ordered ( 4) DK.GRay LT.Gray. Black and Dark brown I model mostly USN/USMC modern day A/C. but don't know which brown LT Or Dark. you pick .

Thanks

Eugene

Thanks Eugene for your order,

I use the DK Brown for medium to heavy weathering on 95% of my models. So I would go for that.

I'll get them in the post today and should be with you in the next 7 days

Thanks

Phil

I've used acryllic washes to some success in the past. Acryllic because they're water based. Put a small amount of paint into a palette then a bit of water and some Dawn or whatever dishwashing detergent you have. The detergent breaks surface tension and makes the "sludge wash" seep quickly and easily into all cracks, panel lines, depressions, etc.

Because you're thinning it with water and detergent, acryllics work best I think.

Wipe off around the areas you want to keep. Q-tips are handy. Don't take too much off or you'll have to reapply it. If you want to darken an area (vent grills, whatever) let it sit for a few minutes or as long as you like then clean up around it.

if i painted my model with enamel, what type of wash do i need??

Most people put down a gloss clear coat before applying a wash, as long as the clear coat stands up to the wash it doesn't really matter. Applying a wash directly to a flat finish may stain the paint, of course if you're going for a heavily weathered look that may work out well.

As an example, I use artist oils heavily thinned with mineral spirits for my wash, this goes over an acrylic gloss clear cloat (Krylon in a can). Some caution is needed here as well because if you get too heavy handed with the mineral spirits it will eat through the gloss coat and attack the paint.

This won't be a problem with an acrylic wash though.

Edited by The Mikester

Usually for a wash I either use acrylic Tamiya smoke or a black or brown watercolor wash. With the watercolors I usually mix in a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid to make it a little easier to clean up the excess on the model. HTH!

I think i might have worderd the ? wrong, if i painted my model with enamel, what type of wash do i need??

Don't panic,

The wash is clay based and can be used on any type of paint.

It will also work on a Flat coat just as well as a Gloss coat and remember if you don't like the look you can wash it off completely

This was the last one off the bench

FGR2_8.jpg

148_F-4FGR2_3.jpg

It was done in the dark brown wash

Edited by Phil_Flory
Don't panic,

The wash is clay based and can be used on any type of paint.

It will also work on a Flat coat just as well as a Gloss coat and remember if you don't like the look you can wash it off completely

This was the last one off the bench

FGR2_8.jpg

148_F-4FGR2_3.jpg

It was done in the dark brown wash

Hi phil

Interested in buying ure washes wats the best colours for an f-18 or f-16? and how much is shipping to australia?

Hi phil

Interested in buying ure washes wats the best colours for an f-18 or f-16? and how much is shipping to australia?

I do tend to use the Dark Brown and Dark gray on Falcons

F-16CJ_6.jpg

and just the Dark brown on Hornets

FA-18F_103_2.jpg

I have a few left on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLORY-MODELS-WEATHER...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Phil_Flory
I do tend to use the Dark Brown and Dark gray on Falcons

F-16CJ_6.jpg

and just the Dark brown on Hornets

FA-18F_103_2.jpg

I have a few left on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLORY-MODELS-WEATHER...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Phil, quickie question for you. I got the dark brown and the light grey recently and I wanted your opinion on the best colour to use on the Revell 1/48 F-15E? I was thinking of the dark brown, but I'm not sure how well it will show up, so now I'm thinking I may need to buy a bottle of the black. What do you think?

Hey Phil, quickie question for you. I got the dark brown and the light grey recently and I wanted your opinion on the best colour to use on the Revell 1/48 F-15E? I was thinking of the dark brown, but I'm not sure how well it will show up, so now I'm thinking I may need to buy a bottle of the black. What do you think?

To be honest the Gunship gray is a difficult one. You could go both ways to get the effect, going darker or lighter to see the panel lines.

I must admit I prefer the gray as on this F-16

F-16CJ_12.jpg

Or you could go the other way and go for the black.

It's a mater of preference

To be honest the Gunship gray is a difficult one. You could go both ways to get the effect, going darker or lighter to see the panel lines.

I must admit I prefer the gray as on this F-16

F-16CJ_12.jpg

Or you could go the other way and go for the black.

It's a mater of preference

Thanks, Phil. I'll probably try both on a small part of the wing (the joy of it washing off easily) and see which one looks best. I don't have the black yet, but if need be I can always order some :)

Hi,

Shameless plug but I make a range of washes

Flory_Models_Weathering_Wash_2.jpg

For a full Photo "How To" please go here http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showforum=94

It is available on Ebay to. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FLORY-MODELS-WEATHER...1QQcmdZViewItem

These look good. Are they acrylic sludge type washes?

Also, how does one in Australia purchase the range?

:cheers:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike
Phil

Do you have waste so much wash and spread it over the whole a/c?

Wouldn't spreading it down the panel lines be sufficient?

You can just put it along the panel, but for speed I apply it all over the model.

These look good. Are they acrylic sludge type washes?

Also, how does one in Australia purchase the range?

:cheers:

MikeJ

Hi Mike,

These are water and clay based, totaly organic with no chemicals.

You can buy them from ebay as I ship world wide or dircet from here. http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=488

Phil