I have been working on a quick conversion for an FJ3 as well.

I am using the 1/48 F-86D fuselage and wing w/slats and the Grand Phoenix FJ4 for the nose and cockpit. The Sabre Dog's chunkier fuselage is very close to the dimensions of the Fury, with the exception of the tail.

I just know that when I am done with butchering these two kits, Hobby Boss or Trumpeter will announce plans to release one..... :rolleyes:

I will post pics when it is done...Should be this century yet :thumbsup:

Any progress shots?????

I am waiting.

Cheers,

Harold

Uh, PETE!

Come on dude....You are as bad as I am.

I know you get sidetracked onto another project and this one and the others will sit forever.

I have some really cool things sitting in boxes, just waiting for the next step.

I'll get to them someday too.....LOL

Edited by Harold

OH HAROLD! You kill me!

In my guiltiest voice...no I haven't done a dang thing on this. Guess what I've been working on instead...

hmmm...

Anyywayyyy...a guy at our local show brought an F-86H in 1/48th scale. I didn't find out anything about it, but it was a conversion and it made me think of my Fury project with tiny little pangs of guilt.

Pete

Edited by Impatient Pete
OH HAROLD! You kill me!

In my guiltiest voice...no I haven't done a dang thing on this. Guess what I've been working on instead...

hmmm...

Anyywayyyy...a guy at our local show brought an F-86H in 1/48th scale. I didn't find out anything about it, but it was a conversion and it made me think of my Fury project with tiny little pangs of guilt.

Pete

Yeah...I know what is distracting you.

But, man, this is a fine start for a truly sweet FJ-3

• 4 months later...

Hi Pete,

The F-86H that you were referring to was bult by Ron Darcey. Saw it back during the February 08 Santa Rosa Modelfest.

Just so i have things straight- If you are doing an FJ-3 conversion , i see how the intake needs to be deepened, but do you still have to go back and build up the upper fuselage as well? Or, are these two approaches just different ways of attaining the same result?

Not a big Fury fan, but this conversion project of yours intrigues me.

Cheers,

Dave

Builder of pedantic subject matter you see every day.....

OH HAROLD! You kill me!

hmmm...

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
Really? It still looks right. Guess that just shows that there is more than one way to do it?

I read that the dash 2 had a smaller intake than the dash 3...so, in this case I modeled and dash 2...LOL

Hi Pete,

The F-86H that you were referring to was bult by Ron Darcey. Saw it back during the February 08 Santa Rosa Modelfest.

Just so i have things straight- If you are doing an FJ-3 conversion , i see how the intake needs to be deepened, but do you still have to go back and build up the upper fuselage as well? Or, are these two approaches just different ways of attaining the same result?

Not a big Fury fan, but this conversion project of yours intrigues me.

Cheers,

Dave

Builder of pedantic subject matter you see every day.....

Ron is still building?

I need to say hi to him.

It was his little mag that I had an on going section called "Jet Jobs". The article above is from that publication.

• 3 months later...

I hope that its ok for me to bring this thread up. Im probably going to be embarking on a similar adventure soon, as I just obtained a few FJ2/3 & 3M decal sheets, and I would very much like to build them.

If someone could tell me where to get the drawings that Impatient Pete is/was using to get his shapes correct, I'd really appreciate it.

I was also curious to see if Pete ever made any more progress on his build, as I'd love to see it, and possibly use it as inspiration.

Edited by Adam Baker
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just found this thread - great job everyone.

I am going to build the -2 & -3 in 1/32nd scale using the Hasagawa kit.

The problem I'm having is finding a set of drawings for each that look right.

The Ginter drawings look to be the same for both dash numbers. Other drawings are suspect as well.

I found a local guy who can enlarge anything from 1/72 or larger without distorting the drawing.

What do you think would be the best drawings to start from?

Thank you all,

Al

• 1 year later...