opinion time....

What would look better?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What would make a better looking Tomcat?

• Academy F-14 with Nose correction set
    • RM F-14 rescribed

OK....got a question for you all.

Which do you think would make a better looking 1/48th Tomcat for the least amount of money/work (hasegawa excluded at this time).

In the red corner, we have an Academy F-14A Tomcat with nose correction set.

In the blue corner, we have a Revellogram F-14A Tomcat completely rescribed with steel beach's resin fuel tanks.

why bother rescribing? The revell kit panel lines look just fine as they are... and they're pretty accurate too.

Better looking with the least amount of effort? Easily the revell kit. The academy kit is very nice by itself (I must be the only person on the planet not bothered by the nose as it is), and Darren's correction set does a nice job of fixing the shape, but by the time you've cut in the appropriate places (I could be mistaken, but last I heard, it wasn't a drop-in fix), you could already have the revell kit together and be working on the seams.

Both are nice, and in my opinion, the academy kit isn't severe enough to measure needing correction, but I'll readily admit that the Revell kit is better looking out of the box.

You know Skull...excellent point on the Academy...the amount of extra work cutting is not to be scoffed at. I have a F-14A without the correction set on the shelf right now sitting next to a RM Cat and though it is noticable when you look close, most the time I can't even tell.

In regards to the panel lines....the raised lines on the Revell kit are very nice....but I have been spoiled on the engraved lines and how they look after a good wash.