1/72 Academy F-16 CJ/CG block40/50 !!!

i'm not a viper fan, but this time i think i can do a review. having built, or in the process of building the worst and the best kits on the market, academy's new kit sets new levels of accuracy in this scale. much like their previous release the f-8 crusader, this kit is packed with rivet details and the landing gear and decals provided are crisp and salivating.

on to the pics!

contents of a fresh box.

acad16review6.jpg

the sprue layout is simple, 2 frames of weapons and 1 for the airframe and another for the wings.

acad16review7.jpg

decal sheet from cartograf is simply worth the kit itself. wolfpack and 79th tiger are the highlights.

acad16review.jpg

acad16review3.jpg

acad16review4.jpg

acad16review5.jpg

acad16review2.jpg

the clear canopy comes tinted, but unfortunately has a seam line running straight down the middle ala hasegawa. this makes repairing the sanded down canopy difficult as one has to still match the smoke tint after.

acadreview8.jpg

overall, the kit is packed with details, and the weapons and decals make it worth every dollar. i am still building the kit as i speak.

started with the exhaust nozzles, since my airbrush was laden with silver paint for the u-2. sharing the colour.

acadf-16build7.jpg

a darker shade for the GE nozzle plug. should be black i realised.

acadf-16build13.jpg

afterburner interior before and after

acadf-16build9.jpg

acadf-16build2.jpg

GE nozzle interior sprayed white, using same technique for my f-14Ds

acadf-16build17.jpg

cockpit is sprayed grey

acadf-16build3.jpg

there is a sink mark on the side of the instrument panel. shouldnt be able to see it once assembled

acadf-16build.jpg

white parts are being sprayed!

front landing door

acadf-16build20.jpg

main landing doors

acadf-16build19.jpg

front bay details

acadf-16build14.jpg

main bay details

acadf-16build8.jpg

all the funny mainbay attachments, showing highly detailed of parts of the mould

acadf-16build5.jpg

acadf-16build11.jpg

acadf-16build18.jpg

cockpit tub

f16acadbuild219.jpg

tub and side panels installed into upper fuselage

f16acadbuild220.jpg

f16acadbuild216.jpg

note to future builders there is a ejector pin mark right where the CRT display goes. it is at an almost impossible angle to remove with blades( i slid in from the aft, and slowly saw away thin layers)

f16acadbuild27.jpg

the intake subassembly is very snug, relying on precision of fit for everything to go together instead of mating pinholes. it is Definitely LESS FIDDLY THAN the HASEGAWA intake subassembly.

f16acadbuild227.jpg

f16acadbuild23.jpg

f16acadbuild231.jpg

f16acadbuild235.jpg

the main wheel bays have also been attached to the underside fuselage. this is similiar to 1/48 and 1/32 scale f-16s, there is no current 72 that produces the entire chunk not already attached or partially attached to the lower or upper fusleage( eg your hase, fujimi, italeri blah blah)

f16acadbuild223.jpg

upper and lower fuselage are now joined

f16acadbuild224.jpg

from the sprue, i found the 4 blade IFF for MLUs, E/Fs and blk 50s+ surprisingly, none of the kit's decal markings have planes which mount the IFF, leading me to the conclusion that academy has another version / release of this kit soon.

f16acadbuild25.jpg

f16acadbuild37.jpg

the block of plastic is not the best fit still, requiring some sanding to the bottom, as shown above, and when attached to the plane, still leaves a very fine seam that could pass off as a panel line.

f16acadbuild233.jpg

f16acadbuild29.jpg

f16acadbuild213.jpg

cannon muzzle is attached

f16acadbuild228.jpg

overall main airframe is completed

f16acadbuild234.jpg

next up weapons and pylons

the academy kit provides updated pylon structures for the outboard stations such as the Towed decoy system, as well as regular. it offers it as seperate so you can build whichever version u wish.

f16acadbuild26.jpg

the mid wing pylon is similiar, in giving an accurate diamond base for late block f-16scjs

f16acadbuild22.jpg

all pylons prepared

f16acadbuild210.jpg

the alq-88 comes with the nose seperate

f16acadbuild217.jpg

the lantirn and the aaq13, quickly done. hasegawa is better looking shapewise, the academy looks too fat and long for both pods. (but maybe i'm too used to lantirn pods from hase)

f16acadbuild236.jpg

f16acadbuild232.jpg

the pod and rack are attached by a massive gorge, not unlike hasegawa's weapon set version

f16acadbuild24.jpg

f16acadbuild226.jpg

a set of HARMS. at long last somebody makes a correctly shaped nose for the Harm in 1/72.

f16acadbuild212.jpg

the wing tanks require slight sanding at the fuel pump circle. ie the red circle decal. this is because some tiny roughness occurs there due to the rivet detail spilling over

f16acadbuild215.jpg

the tanks are assemble. some putty and sanding is needed to smooth out the seam lines.

f16acadbuild28.jpg

f16acadbuild214.jpg

at the same time i also smoothed out the seam line at the tail area

f16acadbuild218.jpg

now to the tail and the housing. academy provides both short and long tails, and if u notice, there are 2 pinholes on the extended housing.

f16acadbuild221.jpg

and those pinholes are for another part on the sprue, part e-25 on the weapons frame, a seemingly insignificant long chunk of plastic

f16acadbuild225.jpg

but , put them together and you have the tail housing for greek, polish, uae, late block C and Es. this confirms my suspiscion that there is going to be a rebox of this kit with probably a new sprue for pratt and whitney nozzles and NSI intakes to make use of these 2 pieces. and from there we can build blk 25 onto blk 52 from the box.

f16acadbuild229.jpg

f16acadbuild222.jpg

working on the canopy

1 huge seam down the middle, similiar to those who have built hasegaw's kit before

f16canopy2.jpg

f16canopy3.jpg

sand down with 600 and then 1000 sandpaper

f16canopy4.jpg

then wet sand with 2000 sandpaper

f16canopy5.jpg

and polish using cotton pad and tamiya polishing compound

f16canopy7.jpg

f16canopy6.jpg

mask

f16canopy8.jpg

and spray

f16canopy.jpg

masking the airframe for spraying

wheel bays

f16acad39.jpg

cockpit

f16acad311.jpg

the nose is sprayed in dark grey

f16acad35.jpg

and once dried it is masked. the irritating spike on the f-16's radomes prevent proper masking, but i used tamiya tape and poked right through. this is because later i can handpaint the thing

f16acad310.jpg

f16acad3.jpg

and the rest of the airframe preshaded

f16acad36.jpg

f16acad37.jpg

as well as the fuel tanks

f16acad34.jpg

GE exhaust nozzle cowling rim was sprayed black, then masked and sprayed in aft fuselage colour

f16acad33.jpg

f16acad312.jpg

at the same time the lantirn pod and aaq 13 was sprayed in the same dark grey as the nose

f16acad32.jpg

Aegean blue was mixed from gunze h366, a shade similiar to that of dauntless and us navy aircraft in world war 2. a hint of white to highlight.

here the basecoat is h-367, pearl harbour blue. to give a bluish intone to the later colour

f16acadaegeanblue.jpg

aegean blue proper

f16acadaegeanblue2.jpg

build up the tone with mutiple shades of aegean, by increasing white density

f16acadaegeanblue3.jpg

f16acadaegeanblue4.jpg

f16acadaegeanblue5.jpg

f16acadaegeanblue6.jpg

and once the aegean was dried, i started to mask for the slate grey. Greek airplanes are very dirty, and multi-shaded and weathered like tomcats. so i used the 'patch' method from my previous groupbuild

first, the wraparound near the center fuselage was masked and sprayed

f16acadslategrey6.jpg

f16acadslategrey7.jpg

f16acadslategrey9.jpg

f16acadslategrey11.jpg

followed by wings

f16acadslategrey5.jpg

f16acadslategrey13.jpg

next the stabilators and rudder

f16acadslategrey4.jpg

f16acadslategrey2.jpg

f16acadslategrey3.jpg

and the main underside puddle

f16acadslategrey12.jpg

f16acadslategrey8.jpg

the aft fuselage was sprayed slate grey, then 2 drops of white added to give a lighter tone, and then patched onto the panels

f16acadslategrey10.jpg

f16acadslategrey.jpg

f16acadbarleygrey2.jpg

amraam head is sprayed white as well

f16acadload.jpg

and the fuel tanks in gunze h-307

f16acadload2.jpg

and the harm adaptors

f16acadload3.jpg

amraam heads were then dried and masked, and gunze h-308 was sprayed to the whole body, along with the aim-9s

f16acadload4.jpg

f16acadload5.jpg

ejection seat is assembled. the details are better than hasegawa, though it doesnt compare to resin seats, still looks decent, and seat belts are moulded on too.

f16acad52.jpg

f16acad53.jpg

aim9 head masked and prepared for black spray

f16acad5.jpg

started post shading, with very thinned dark grey and a steady hand.

my aim was to create a subtle shading around each panel to contrast the lighter spots within.

f16acad54.jpg

f16acad55.jpg

f16acad56.jpg

f16acad57.jpg

exhaust interior also recieved enamel wash and streaking of smoke stains

f16acad59.jpg

f16acad58.jpg

f16acad512.jpg

f16acad510.jpg

tailplane attached to the body

f16acad511.jpg

a gloss coat is given, tamiya acrylic clear, to prepare for enamel wash and decals. notice how the tonal shades darken when the clear coat is applied. i took note of this many a time, and deliberately shaded my greek camos slightly lighter in the earlier photos.

here is before the clear coat

f16acad513.jpg

here is after the clear coat

f16acad514.jpg

thin sludge of enamel given. it flows very nicely along the clear surface into the rivets that academy has provided on this kit.

f16acad515.jpg

and the excess is removed with cotton buds dipped in enamel thinner. tamiya enamels does not react with tamiya acrylic, so i am safe.

f16acad516.jpg

f16acad517.jpg

Hoi,

Wow, quick review. I'm watching this one with interest. I have the Academy F-8 and F-18, both look great. I really want one of these too.

Looking good. HAF F-16C-50?

later

Ruud

Excelent review and build. I'm glad to see it in Greek colors :worship:

You only have to remove the left ECM fairing from the parabrake housing as it's installed only on the right...

f16acad511.jpg

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Ai...16CJ/1333399/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Ai...16CJ/1315444/L/

This part should be clear...

f16canopy3.jpg

Same mistake as Revell's kit... I'm getting mad... :explode:

The First and may I say the Fastest.....Looking great...Gosh you have done it so BEAUTIFULLY...love the subtle coloring..

Looking forward to following you on this one Tomcat RIO.

A BEAUTY!!

HOLMES.... :worship: