1/48 Academy F-4C/D Phantom kit..

I was thinking of building my Academy F-4D kit with the LORAN antenna on the spine.

The problem is that I don't know how the part is supposed to be attached to the fuselage. The LORAN part looks like it has a large, thick base that is supposed to fit into a corresponding "slot" on the fuselage, but there is none.

I suppose that Academy will make a new fuselage that includes the needed slot for the LORAN and other antennas?

Maybe next year Academy will release a F-4D version that uses the LORAN?

The mystery continues...

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

There is no raised base on the LORAN antenna on the real jet. The three blade aerials that support the 'towel rack' each have a small round base, much like any other antenna on the jet. Tamiya and Academy both have this wrong.

Jake

I seemed to recall there was an interesting picture in an old japanese book I had and, lo and behold, there it was! Sorry for the poor quality but the book is not scanner friendly. It definitely shows a base for the LORAN antenna:

IMG_7452crch.jpg

And in the same book there is also this illustration, which neatly matches what is seen in the pic:

IMG_7455crch.jpg

I thinks this must be an exception (?), but perhaps Academy found similar information someplace else.

I am intrigued. Hope somebody can come up with an explanation. :popcorn:

Cheers,

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

Thanks guys...

Maybe I can cut the kit antenna off it's base and then glue it to a .010 strip of narrow plastic? Might work...

Scott

CNJC-IPMS