What is the best 1/72 A-4E kit on the market? My main criterion is recessed panel lines. Any boxing that allows me to build an E version would be ok. I would prefer not to do a major surgery (like removing the hump from an F if it comes molded). There is a whole bunch of info on Fujimi, Airfix and Esci kits, but I couldn't get a clear picture of what is going on. This would be a build for a friend and he is interested in USN E only.

TIA.

Did Airfix ever do a 1/72 Scooter before their recent A-4B? Not that I know of...

The ESCI kit is a LOOOOOOOONG distant second behind Fujimi. Fuzzy panel lines, iffy shapes, and lousy fit.

Fujimi is tops for any version of the Skyhawk. ESCI is OK, but no real cockpit and less detail. There are others by Italeri, Hasegawa, as mentioned by TT, Airfix, even Starfix had a glob of plastic called an A-4. There are still some of the Fujimi kits floating about and along with Fujimi releasing kits again, we can hope for another re-pop.

The Esci kit was top dog until the Fujimi kits came out.

It had very weak competition, the Hasegawa A-4 (feet too long) a later Italeri A-4F tooling (too short), the IMC kit (pretty close in size and shape to the Esci, but, had rivet rows for panel lines,,,,,and the very old Airfix kit of the A4D-1

The Esci kit was used as the basis to build A-4B and A-4C with conversion sets from IPMS (Plastic nose halves and intakes) and Esoteric Nose Jobs (White Metal nose and intakes)

interestingly, all the kits above had the same rudder size,,,,,but, the new Airfix kit doesn't match any of them,,,,so, either they are all wrong or the new tooled Airfix kit is,,,,,,but, for 1/72 modelers, just make sure to use the kit the decals were designed for if they include rudder markings,,,XtraDecal need to be new Airfix,,,,,all other decals before this need to not be new Airfix

Old Airfix tooling, built so long ago that I though Hasegawa kit pylons, MERs and bombs were an upgrade (lol, and they were, back then)

002.jpg

Thanks very much everybody. Super info. Fujimi it is. Now, the second challenge: Does anybody own one of these kits and is willing to part with it? Seems impossible to find. On a related note, can I build an E out of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujimi-Douglas-A-4-Skyhawk-Free-Kuwait-1-72-Model-kit-/121398469791?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item1c43e9a49f

Thanks.

you could if you had plenty of spare parts,,,,,,I could cut one of my five remaining E kits loose for you, though.

If you PM me your address, I'll sell you one of the Fujimi A-4E/F kits for really cheap,,,,,as long as it covers postage okay. (I don't know where you are, but, I am in Tennessee these days)

Just a warning though,,,,,,none of my kits are still shrink wrapped,,,I always look inside them and compare different toolings to each other

Edited by Rex

you could if you had plenty of spare parts,,,,,,I could cut one of my five remaining E kits loose for you, though.

If you PM me your address, I'll sell you one of the Fujimi A-4E/F kits for really cheap,,,,,as long as it covers postage okay. (I don't know where you are, but, I am in Tennessee these days)

Just a warning though,,,,,,none of my kits are still shrink wrapped,,,I always look inside them and compare different toolings to each other

Thank you so much for this. I will shortly PM my info and other details. I really appreciate this.

No, needs a different forward fuselage nose section and smaller canopy.

Thanks John! Good to know. I was about to jump on this but glad I asked now.