Cleveland Model Show

Cleveland Model Show this Sunday. Anyone going?

http://home.windstream.net/dchalke/CMS/

I'll be there with 7 models or so. I know a few guys from here I expect to see there. Anyone I don't know going?

I'll be wandering around in my silver Mercedes GP hat (US F1 race is Sunday also) so grab me and say hey.

I may judge or I may take off and take the wife to lunch. Yet to be decided.

Kris

Also if anyone needs my number for texts or email pm me and I'll give it to you.

Wow, what a fun day! I got to hang out with Marvin20 and Bigasshammm, and met AnthonyWan (all the way from Rochester, NY!) and Fighting Eighty-Four for the first time. We had a great time talking models and comparing deals we got at the vendor tables.

Congratulations to Bigasshammm, who won four prizes, a 1st place for his 1/32 Academy F/A-18C, two 2nd places for his race cars (sorry can't remember what they were) and a 3rd place for his 1/72 Academy F/A-18C. Marvin20 also won a 1st place for his Hasegawa 1/72 F-111. AnthonyWan brought an excellent 1/48 Hobbyboss YF-23 Black Widow which had a lot of admirers.

All told there were about 300 models in the contest and the other 1/2 of the gym was vendors. I picked up a Hobbyboss 1/48 F4F-3 Wildcat for a friend and a Sword 1/72 FM-2 Wildcat for myself.

Can't wait for Blizzardcon in February!

Tom

I took a criminally small amount of pics. No real reason why just wasn't in a picture mood. My wife took these of my winners but I had put away the 1/32 F-18 before I found out I won so no pic of that with its plaque.

Can see the edge of Marvin 20s winning F-111 here

F7B74C14-0B0E-4146-948D-10608381DC03_zpspcydh7fp.jpg

Also my Ferrari in background. I had two of the 3 entrants for this category and for second year lost to a tractor! Lol.

E2AAA437-D787-4FE4-8D39-67AC4997EF9B_zpsqowosyge.jpg

Good competition here so I was pleased. Shows how small this is also.

B3E38EDF-67D6-49C4-BBD4-C4854D804381_zpsvjob5qvd.jpg

Congrats to all. Was fun.

Congrats to all! Hey Kris, is the McLaren Mercedes yours? I want to get into F1 and that is the model I may want to start with. Do you know the details (brand, scale, decals etc.)?

Thanks.

The McLaren is mine yes. My favorite team and driver Lewis Hamilton (although he's Mercedes now)

The kit is 1/20 and by Fujimi. They had two versions this one and one that comes with a driver figure but that's harder to find. I added a studio 27 carbon fibre decal set to this since the kit doesn't come with any cf decals for all the suspension and such. You could do this yourself with cf decals but would take a lot of time. It's a nice kit but there's no engine so it's curbside only. If it'll be your first one you couldn't have chosen a harder paint process. Chrome paint is not fun!

Here's my build thread from the bare it all GB earlier this year.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=271420&st=0

If you want a McLaren but a slightly easier challenge the revell MP4-25 is really a decent kit. Comes with all the cf decals and all you have to focus on is body prep and then the difficult paint job. But it's 1/24 and a lot of guys don't like 1/24 for open wheel cars.

Kris, thank you very much, very useful info. I actually like Mp-24. In fact, please take a look at this image:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/928688mp424mp425mp426mp427.jpg

There, 24, 26, and 27 all look so attractive to me. However, I don't like 25 because of the spine that extends all across the engine cover. So, with this, would you be able to recommend me a good kit? My criteria is roughly as follows:

- I prefer 1/20 (though 1/24 maybe ok)

- I like the McLaren cars, silver/red/black series (best looking F1 car in my opinion)

- No straight spine at the top of the engine car. So, I think I am not interested in Revell MP4-25

- Curbside only is completely ok. I would like to start simple

- A kit that has a good fit and fine surface details. Your fujimi looks great, but I researched the kit and the engraved surface details look a little too wide

- No pilot is ok

I will do my due diligence, but I wanted to consult with you as you may already have good pointers. Are my choices really between Fujimi and Revell only?

Thank you so much!

The McLaren is mine yes. My favorite team and driver Lewis Hamilton (although he's Mercedes now)

The kit is 1/20 and by Fujimi. They had two versions this one and one that comes with a driver figure but that's harder to find. I added a studio 27 carbon fibre decal set to this since the kit doesn't come with any cf decals for all the suspension and such. You could do this yourself with cf decals but would take a lot of time. It's a nice kit but there's no engine so it's curbside only. If it'll be your first one you couldn't have chosen a harder paint process. Chrome paint is not fun!

Here's my build thread from the bare it all GB earlier this year.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=271420&st=0

If you want a McLaren but a slightly easier challenge the revell MP4-25 is really a decent kit. Comes with all the cf decals and all you have to focus on is body prep and then the difficult paint job. But it's 1/24 and a lot of guys don't like 1/24 for open wheel cars.

Kris, thank you very much, very useful info. I actually like Mp-24. In fact, please take a look at this image:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/928688mp424mp425mp426mp427.jpg

There, 24, 26, and 27 all look so attractive to me. However, I don't like 25 because of the spine that extends all across the engine cover. So, with this, would you be able to recommend me a good kit? My criteria is roughly as follows:

- I prefer 1/20 (though 1/24 maybe ok)

- I like the McLaren cars, silver/red/black series (best looking F1 car in my opinion)

- No straight spine at the top of the engine car. So, I think I am not interested in Revell MP4-25

- Curbside only is completely ok. I would like to start simple

- A kit that has a good fit and fine surface details. Your fujimi looks great, but I researched the kit and the engraved surface details look a little too wide

- No pilot is ok

I will do my due diligence, but I wanted to consult with you as you may already have good pointers. Are my choices really between Fujimi and Revell only?

Thank you so much!

In plastic yes your choices are only the revell 25 and the fujimi 27. So looks like the fujimi is your best bet. There are some resin versions of most every McLaren but they're super expensive and usually very difficult.

If you're really adventurous model factory hiro did the MP4-23 in 1/12. Hamilton's world championship winning car. But it retails around 450$ I believe and looks like a nightmare to build.

The fujimi is really a nice kit. It lacks the carbon fibre but otherwise the decals are good and the fit was overall pretty good. The wings are daunting but with patience can be overcome.

Good luck hope to see it.

My reasoning was logical! :-) It was fun watching you resist! :-D

LOL, and it's fun watching you in action convincing someone why they should buy a kit. I should have put you on commission at my vendor table. Of course, neither of us have any will power either with resisting a kit.

Tom

Edited by Tom G