1/48 HB F-14B Tomcat: Jolly Rogers!

Hi everyone!

This is my first WIP topic and my fourth model since I returned to hobby 2 years ago (after very long break). Actually, this forum inspired me to buy first model after more than 15 years, and from here I learned everything from basic airbrushing to more "advanced" stuff. Big thank you guys for help and inspiration!!!! :)/>/>/>/>

Now, about the model: Originally I planned to build it as adversary bird from VF-74, for last year's Bad Boys group bild. Needless to say, I have not even started it back then :)/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>/>. In the meantime, I bought yet another set of decals from Fightertown: VF-102 OEF. I have not decided which one to build yet, but I'm leaning towards VF-102 machine.

DSC_0116_zpsj0v2hygb.jpg

Progress so far. Cockpit almost finished:

DSC_0102_zpstqgueakc.jpg

First time ever I'm quite happy with result. I used resin seats.

DSC_0095_zpsn4ueeqch.jpg

DSC_0088_zps2vpupx9q.jpg

And with side panels:

DSC_0106_zps7f4h74es.jpg

Next, forward fuselage and stabilizers.

DSC_0077_zpse3bpxvom.jpg

DSC_0078_zpsugvaobks.jpg

Quick question. Are there any more rivets that needs to be removed from the HB kit?

And here is a bonus picture of my other project, nearly finished Tamiya F-16 (too late for WIP topic).

DSC_3388_zpsolijiurp.jpg

For the record, I know that my build will be probably full of some inaccuracies. It's just I'm slow builder anyway and I try to limit additional work to minimum. As long as the model looks like, say F-14 I'm fine with it. Still, I do admire perfectionists.

Thanks for reading and have a good day (or night)!

Edited by BJ Blazkowicz

Good afternoon

Thanks for kind words, falcon20driver. I found your WIP thread and I love your work. I already learned a couple of things from you (see below).

Small update about my progress.

Forward fuselage halves require a lot of attention, especially one with open panels. Life would be so much easier if HB kept them closed. I removed plastic AoA probe and used falcon20drivers's technique to check the panel lines.

DSC_0130_zpsfo1tc7bg.jpg

Wing sub-assemblies. Dry fitting revealed small problem with flap hinges - they are overflush to wing surface.

DSC_0136_zpsca4fvyg4.jpg

DSC_0133_zpsfv9tslmo.jpg

Air intake ramps in place. I learned hard way that I should do research before gluing, not after. Straight after I finished fitting them I had this funny feeling that this is not how they are positioned when plane is on the ground. Five minutes (with google) later I knew that they are deployed when F-14 goes super-sonic. I maneged to find two pics showing Tomcat with ramps in lower position on the ground so it will stay like this

DSC_0137_zpsup24jumi.jpg

That's all for today. I would like to take this opportunity and wish you all Happy New Year!!!!!!!

You've started well. I particularly like the highlighting on the instrument panel shrouds, it's a nice touch.

With respect to the riveting, research I have done showed that there is no evident riveting on the wings. The only exception is the small oval access panels. They appear to facilitate access to the wing internals. They have a lot of grime around them in some photos which supports that probability.

Wonderful work. It is a shame HB created some issues with the intakes but its nothing insurmountable. My solution is going to be intake covers, problem solved! Another thing to watch out for is the fit of the slats. They have a pretty big step when glued in the closed position. Keep up the great work!

Many thanks for tips Gents! I'm still doing research on the wings to decide how to tackle them. Rivets will go, that's for sure. As for the small oval access panel, if I'm correct with the wings swept back only three oval panels are visible.

Not much done today, mainly due to hangover :rolleyes:/>/> . I managed to fit the Master's AoA probe and glue the front section.

DSC_0139_zpsot9xnhbe.jpg

DSC_0144_zpsberckdfs.jpg

DSC_0149_zpstscbqddt.jpg

Thanks for looking at my post

Edited by BJ Blazkowicz

The salt weathering looks great. I would go with that and then use the touch up technique from the pic below to augment it. The cockpit looks great! The dry brushing really helps out. Great looking build so far.

The salt weathering looks great. I would go with that and then use the touch up technique from the pic below to augment it. The cockpit looks great! The dry brushing really helps out. Great looking build so far.

Agreed! Both with the salt weathering and the touch-up technique, but for the touch ups, I would make them a little more pronounced. Still a feathered edge, but just a little sharper and narrower.

Your build so far is excellent! Welcome back to the hobby. This site also motivated me to come back recently as well. Pretty great place, eh?

Cheers,

Mark.

Thank you both Gentlemen

I do agree with you - the salt weathering will fit better for that build. As for the touch-ups, I'm yet to find the picture of my subject with any corrosion control at all. If I apply any, I will do my best to keep it sharp and narrow. This was my firs attempt :-) . I'm actually torn between realism and my need for experimentation. Seems like this particular plane was quite clean, while I would like to play around with some heavy weathering. I guess I'l try to find a compromise.

And you're wright Mark, this is a great place!

Thanks!

There's a place for both techniques on most low visibility Tomcats that have seen some service since their last depot level maintenance.

The mottled technique (I assume it is the salt technique) is a reasonable rendition of the grime that accumulates on the upper fuselage and wing surfaces where crew members walk. It can also be used for the inverted triangle between canopy and crew ladder that also sees a lot of grime accumulation.

Corrosion control (the touch up technique) is usually applied around maintenance access hatches but can appear at any other place where paint may have been removed, e.g. fuselage sides because it was struck by an object. The corrosion control on the side of the fuselage is usually limited to areas below outstretched hand height as these are the areas prone to damage from careless crew members and are within easy reach of the crew applying corrosion control touch ups. The other thing to pay attention to with touch ups is that when they are applied to dirty surfaces, i.e. those with grime, the thinner in the paint softens the grime and the compressed air pushes it out to form a dark ring around the touch up.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for valuable input, Air-to-Air.

Time for small update

Wings are almost there, I decided to glue the transparent part and sand it flush with the wing. It is simply to big for nav light.

DSC_01603_zpso8vbpiuj.jpg

I started to work on the intakes - first of all they need some sanding. Left one is after sanding

DSC_01592_zps35rzf20m.jpg

Back to front section. Seems like the cockpit is sitting to high, or parts E4 and E5 are too wide. Either way, they don't fit.

DSC_0247_zpsd6j5opyh.jpg

Next issue - steps and gaps around the windshield.

DSC_0253_zpswzr0izrd.jpg

And now after a couple af layers of Mr. Surfacer and wet sanding. Parts E4 and 5 trimmed and sanded flush as well

DSC_0258_zpsyyyx9321.jpg

I have mixed feelings about this kit. No major problems so far, but due to many small issues sometimes it feels like I made two steps forward, and one backwards. Anyway, stay tuned for more!

Thanks!

I realize it's a bit late, but VF-102 didn't have the HUD in the pits of their F-14B's during OEF.

The Sparrow/Hawk HUD for the B didn't come on line until 2003 and VF-103 was the first fleet squadron with those.

Many thanks for that info, VFA-103guy!

I just learned a new thing about the Tomcat, and about the VDIG in particular (the hard way). I know what I was saying about my approach to accuracy, but this may be too much...It is definitely too late to remove the HUD, but luckily it's not too late to change the subject. After brief research I short listed to the following options.

- iconic VF-103 bird from latest fightertown release

- magnificent VF-143 machine from fightertown's last cruise sheet

Tough choice....The funny thing is that one of my new year's resolutions was not to buy more decals before I use all that I already have :-) Two years ago I would simply continue with the Diamondbacks, but now I'm not sure...And most of all I don't want to leave a bad taste after my first WIP thread :-)

@twhite80

Thank you! After what I've seen on this forum, I believe that there are people here who could finish it in a week. But not me :D/>/>

@VFA-103 guy & ENS. "Bones"

Gentlemen, I believe it's time to put democracy in to action. 3 votes to 0 (including mine) VF-103 wins! Bone Supremecy decal sheet ordered. B)/>/> Thanks for your kind offer VFA-103guy, I may have some questions along the way.

Edited by BJ Blazkowicz