Italeri F-111A and EF-111A reviews

The Italeri 1/72 F-111A and EF-111A are ok, if you can't get the Hasegawa ones for some reason. I've got both, trying to sell them.

Quality is typical Italeri. Can be nice kits IF you put enough effort into them.

Regards,

Gerard

Why is it you all say to stay away from it without being able to say why?

Has anyone built it?

Im looking for a kit I can build with the wings swept back, or in various degrees of sweep anyway.

The jets didnt always taxi to the runway with the wings forward and flaps/slats/tail planes down...

You can sweep the wings back on the hase F-111 with a little work, even though it doesn't say so in the instructions there are grooves on the top and bottom fuse halves that show you where to cut for a full swept wing.

Still i would like to see a review of the italeri F-111's to see how they build up. I have their EF-111A so if you want i could post some sprue shots?

• 10 months later...
Looks like the AMT molding to me...

Yes, it's the same basic kit. The AMT F-111F added a new sprue with the Pave Tack, and GBU-28 parts among others (I had one years ago) to the Esci F-111A kit, while the EF-111 release had an extra sprue with the Spark Vark-specific tail parts, intake parts and (undersized) fuel tanks. I think this sprue was in AMT's F-111F boxing as well.

I have two A's in the stash, one each of the Esci and Italeri boxings; these kits willl benefit from spare Hasegawa pylons as Esci only included two, but the shape of these looks off to me; included for mounting on those are two standard (so incorrect for the '111) MER racks - use Hasegawa BRU racks if you want to mount more than one bomb on a pylon.

Esci also did not include the AIM-9 rail. If you have a Hasegawa FB-111/F-111G kit you have a spare pair of those and a full set of pylons, as well as the tail end piece that goes between the exhausts. If you build Hasegawa's F-111D/F kit as an F, you have spare burner cans which look better than the Esci parts and the small part that attaches to the fairing between the burner cans).

There is also no scribing of the bomb bay doors under the forward fuselage, but just a few minutes with a scribing tool will fix that.

All in all, while not Hasegawa, when built with the wings swept back they sure make nice models. As far as 'Varks in this scale go, it's a hell of a lot better than the Airfix and Revell kits!

HTH,

Andre

All in all, while not Hasegawa, when built with the wings swept back they sure make nice models. As far as 'Varks in this scale go, it's a hell of a lot better than the Airfix and Revell kits!

HTH,

Andre

Whoa tell me about it i've just finished fighting with an airfix kit i have, (have the hase one, but just felt like building the airfix one, wish i hadn't bothered now) awful awful kit, my ESCI/AMT one is like gold compared to it.

Whoa tell me about it i've just finished fighting with an airfix kit i have, (have the hase one, but just felt like building the airfix one, wish i hadn't bothered now) awful awful kit, my ESCI/AMT one is like gold compared to it.

Well, to be fair the Airfix kit predates the Esci mold by a comfortable time, the initial F-111A being a sixties kit and the later F-111E retooling being from, I think, the mid-70s. I don't own one, all it took was one look in the box... 8)

Andre

LOL i didn't buy mine i was given it, so i figured i'd build it, the one i have is the first boxing of the F-111E by airfix, its wierd some part are quite nice and thin, like the l=tail for instance, others require a hell of alot of work, and the break down of the nose, pit and forward fuse is just plain stupid and requires much sanding and puttying.

• 2 years later...

ESCI Rules!

The many ESCI/ERTL/Italeri kits may not be Hasegawa, but they set the benchmark for quality long before anyone could even pronounce that name. They were the ones winning the awards back then. If you compare kits from the two back when they were current, the Japanese plastic wont hold a candle to the old world Italian work in the ESCI boxes.

(well, that holds true for 1/72 scale, anyway. The 1/48 stuff, by comparison, was pretty dismal)).

Skip to today. You can laud Hasegawa with all sorts of expletives, but just remember that they had to go some to improve on the ESCI kits. And they didnt go all THAT far in doing it.

The ESCI's still hold up well, except to the wallet driven or rivet counters. Build an ESCI kit - marvel at the fineness of the engraving and overall detail. Then realize that they came from 25 years ago. It's astounding, really

They arent perfect... since nothing is. The cockpits are usually sparse, since in 1:72 there aint much to see. There are occasionally some omissions or shape errors that exist. But, when you consider that I just got another F-111A for my ESCI collection and paid well under $10 to do it - well under - they start looking pretty good.

Here's what the guy at KG Wings says:

"The ESCI/ERTL kit is certainly less detailed than the Hasegawa EF-111, but at a fraction of the price - it's a great value!

....I thinned down the leading edge on the engine intakes and carved detail into the exhaust "turkey feathers".

Fit is good overall with the exception of the canopy which I had to add shims underneath to make it fit.

Cost / Value: I purchased this kit for $3.99 (US)! An unbelievable value!

Panel lines are resessed and crisp. This kit is molded in a relatively soft plastic. Care is needed when sanding seams."

And as someone else here said - they build up to look the part. On the dusty shelf over your model bench, that's what matters.

Edited by dahut
Why is it you all say to stay away from it without being able to say why?

Has anyone built it?

Im looking for a kit I can build with the wings swept back, or in various degrees of sweep anyway.

The jets didnt always taxi to the runway with the wings forward and flaps/slats/tail planes down...

I've built it. The wings can sweep.

AA_F111A_complete001.jpg

AA_F111A_finished002.jpg

There is a discussion of the configuration on my GB thread: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=151917

I've built it. The wings can sweep.

AA_F111A_complete001.jpg

AA_F111A_finished002.jpg

There is a discussion of the configuration on my GB thread: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=151917

And unless I miss my guess... its the old ESCI molded Aardvark. Italeri acquired nearly every mold that ESCI had ever cut in the the early 2000's. Im willing to bet it is the old ESCI kit, still stroking and looking good.

Just thought I'd add my 2c worth...

Firstly, the Italeri kit IS the old Esci kit. As far as I can tell, other than decals and instructions, the only change is the inclusion of the round fronted pylons which don't seem to be in the Esci kit.

In terms of detail, I noticed the following:-

- The tail is too long and needs cutting down. It is also angled wrongly at the bottom and will need building up with plastic card

- The nacelle between the engines is too long and at the wrong angle

- The intake shock cone is moulded fully retracted - for a parked aircraft, it should be fully extended

- The cockpit is wider than the Hasegawa cockpit - I only realised this when I came to use the Verlinden set and it didn't fit!

- The Hasegawa burner cans cannot be used on the Italeri/Esci kit as they are too small and leave a large lip

- The gun pod is the wrong shape and the instructions show it in the wrong place (it should be fitted to the RH bomb bay door)

- The ALQ-87 (?) pods are not correct as the antenna are too small - either replace the antenna or use a Hasegawa Weapons Set pod instead.

Hopefully this is of help!

Chris