IIAF/IRIAF Tomcat colours

Drewe,

The color call outs on the Fujimi kit for the topside tan is Gunze H66 (RLM-79)/Mr Color #19, and the brown is Gunze H37 (Wood Brown)/Mr Color #43. It looks like they picked what they thought were the closest matches, and going by their suggestions on their MiG series, it should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Regards,

Murph

Regards,

Murph

Drewe,

The color call outs on the Fujimi kit for the topside tan is Gunze H66 (RLM-79)/Mr Color #19, and the brown is Gunze H37 (Wood Brown)/Mr Color #43. It looks like they picked what they thought were the closest matches, and going by their suggestions on their MiG series, it should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Regards,

Murph

Regards,

Murph

Very possible, yes. On the other hand, we're fortunate that the FS numbers of the Iranian scheme are well documented, so regardless of what any silly manufacturer suggests, WE know the truth! :thumbsup:

Drewe,

Regards,

Murph

Regards,

Murph

Murph,

Actually, I have those two ( a couple of weeks ago I basically ordered all the Gunze Mr Color browns knowing I'd need them soon enough!) It may interest you to know that the #19 for 20400 is really a very good match, right hue and even has that very slightly pinky-yellow cast that 20400 has. #43 is perhaps a tad light but certainly red enough, I Think RAF Dark Earth may be closer though in terms of hue.

I love Mr Color paints and would rather tweak their colours to match than use anyone else's.

Thanks all for replies, much appreciated.

FWIW, now that I'm home with my references, the true and actual colors for the Iranian scheme (F-4, F-5, & original F-14 scheme) used the same paint:

20400 Tan

30140 Brown

34079 Dark Green

36622 Light Gray

As they were US-built and delivered aircraft, we modelmakers are fortunate that the paint directives are standard FS numbers.

FWIW, now that I'm home with my references, the true and actual colors for the Iranian scheme (F-4, F-5, & original F-14 scheme) used the same paint:

20400 Tan

30140 Brown

34079 Dark Green

36622 Light Gray

As they were US-built and delivered aircraft, we modelmakers are fortunate that the paint directives are standard FS numbers.

I wonder why they use(d) a semi-gloss tan together with flat brown, green and grey :D

:blink:

I wonder why they use(d) a semi-gloss tan together with flat brown, green and grey :cheers:

:thumbsup:

Nothing more complicated than the fact that the -0400 was only produced in semi-gloss I'd surmise. But certainly looking at pics of the aircraft (or any in the Asia-Minor scheme) you'd not think "oh, all those colours are matt except the light brown", they all look the same really!

It may interest you to know that the #19 for 20400 is really a very good match, right hue and even has that very slightly pinky-yellow cast that 20400 has. #43 is perhaps a tad light but certainly red enough,

Drewe,

Glad to hear that. As I mentioned, I was underwhelmed with their suggested matches on their desert camofluged MiG-21. The tan, in particular, seemed much too dark.

Regards,

Murph

What did you settle on for the darker brown then? Since it is NOT repeat NOT FS30118....

Actually |I still think RAF Dark Earth is the best match from the bottle. Probably what I'll use. Some of the repaints in the 80's seemed to use a much much redder colour, almost like NATO tank earth. (RAL8027 Lederbraun)