Tale of two Viggens...

Here we go, been meaning to post these up for a while. Not being able to link directly to the site is a bear....

anyways....

viggeninprog002.jpg

Decided eventually to do the second as the twin-stick. The single seat will be the Red Viggen show scheme. Camo painting will be fun.... Building side by side, there is a difference in the amount of filler needed. Whether this is a difference in kits or my building practices I don't know. Had the same issues with the 2 Fujimi F-4Ns lately.

viggeninprog006.jpg

The position of the second cockpit is vague....

viggeninprog009.jpg

so dry fit it all and touch the Tenax to the bridge section..

viggeninprog008.jpg

The seats really need replacing, I've added some strip detail, but they really need help as pics show them to be very prominient. Also, they sit too low, especially the rear, but as kitted, even the front seat occupant can't see over the dash!

viggeninprog003.jpg

something else on the bench at the moment....

viggeninprog007.jpg

Cheers for now. more pics at the weekend hopefully.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
Nice work! Gotta love those Viggens (Viggen?).

In what scheme wil the Phantom end up..?

Cheers,

Andre

The (2nd) Black Bunny Vandy 1. (Bu no 155539). The kit scheme but I'm using some scalemaster USN letters/numbers for the markings as the kit decals are ivory AND translucent. I can replace all except the bunny head for the fin. I've got one spare for a Tomcat but it's too big. What to do?????

Got more done to the Viggens, fins and canards attached, will try to take pics this weekend. on my third session of filling/sanding those steps. No gaps on seams, but ohh the steps.....

Edited by roym
The (2nd) Black Bunny Vandy 1. (Bu no 155539). The kit scheme but I'm using some scalemaster USN letters/numbers for the markings as the kit decals are ivory AND translucent. I can replace all except the bunny head for the fin. I've got one spare for a Tomcat but it's too big. What to do?????

Photocopy the bunny decal,and cut some tape masks with the use of the photocopy. :whistle:

Got some more pics....

viggeninprog010.jpg

Some sink marks on one, but not the other.

viggeninprog011.jpg

Getting there, trying hard to smooth out the steps for the Red Viggen, but the splinter camo will be even more fun.....

viggeninprog012.jpg

Seats still look pathetic....

viggeninprog013.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update on progress...

decalling underway...

viggeninprog018.jpg

and finished...

viggeninprog019.jpg

viggeninprog020.jpg

The underside wing pylons were taked in place before painting began, then removed before decalling, so the ghosts could go under the pylons. The corresponding areas were painted white before the pylons were permanently attached.

viggeninprog021.jpg

She has been finished. Will post pics when I get the camera out again. She's already had her first Sortie (model show in Waterford last Sunday).

Edited by roym

Here is as far as I've got with the 2 seater, painting (and masking :cheers: )will take a bit of time methinks... B)

viggeninprog022.jpg

Got a lot on at the moment (looking for a new job.. :D ) so modelling way down on the priority list.....

Well, she's finished! :thumbsup:

Only dropped her twice when attaching undercarraige. Only damage is a small dent in trailing edge of one wing and the lead ballast that was stuck to the back of the cockpit is now loose. Replaced the pitots with a staple that was rounded with a file, cut and superglued into pre drilled holes.

viggeninprog023.jpg

Used a Tamiya Smoke/IPA wash on the U/C.

viggeninprog024.jpg

viggeninprog026.jpg

The formation light decals (Hawkeye ones) were translucent, the Heller ones were so badly printed to be useless, So I backed the Hawkeye ones with spare slime light decals from an old Detail & Scale sheet.

viggeninprog029.jpg

It was also fun getting all 6 tyres to touch the ground! In the end the cockpit detail consisted of tamiya tape seatbelts and a little piece of copper (electrical flex) wire shaped as that triangle-shaped handle sticking out of the headrest, superglued on. Also, the seat is sitting on a little blob of bluetack to ensure it's high enough for the pilot to see over the dashboard and out the windows!

viggeninprog038.jpg

The decals stayed white too, I was worried they'd turn out pink!

viggeninprog035.jpg

Paint is Humbrol Insignia red (154- Matt) with about 12 coats of Klear brushed on, giving a nice slightly satin finish!

viggeninprog025.jpg

So there she is! The two seater will be a little longer!

Hope you all like it!

Edited by roym