Another 1/72 Corsair started

Those of you that know me will probably be surprised. I make no secret of my intense dislike for Tamiya kits (overpriced, oversimplified, over rated), and this one is no exception. $21 for a 1/72 scale fighter ! Are they out of their minds? With the cost of this kit and the Eduard detail set, you could get Eduard's 1/48 Fw 190 kit.

This is being built for a customer, as I wouldn't pay that much for this for myself. The majority of the fine detail comes from the Eduard PE set that I'm using. The kit's panel lines look huge for the scale, and a lot of the detail is heavy handed. But it's "so easy, a caveman could build it."

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

This one will be done in no time, with very little effort required. Boring !

Well, this particular caveman has taken great offense at your words. Are you suggesting that cavemen are somehow inferior? :)

Seriously, nicely done. The Eduard PE really adds to the overall look of the Corsair. I am sure you will do your usual job with it.

;)

J.C.

Thanks Andrew, Scooter, chukw, Mitch, CorsairMan, Jamie, and imwhoim01 !

Andrew - the Eduard set makes all the difference, IMHO. Tamiya is a little heavy-handed on the smaller parts and scribing.

Scooter - I got this from Squadron for $20.70, and I feel it's waaaaaay overpriced. Twelve bucks sounds about right to me.

chukw - I love Eduard's PE and kits. I would gladly be their representative for a lifetime supply of PE ! I'm also building their 1/48 Fw 190A-8 with the additional PE, placards, tool set, and Luftwaffe ground crew. It's a major project, and won't be finished for a while.

Mitch - my customer wants a few Corsairs built, and I suspect that this one will be a Corsair Mk. I of the FAA. A birdcage in camo.

CorsairMan - from what I understand, Academy has a nice one for half the cost. I haven't seen pics of the details, but Eduard's set may work for it (only a guess). Be wiser than me, though - don't spend as much as I did if you want this one !

Jamie - every time I see that commercial, I think of Tamiya's kits. They sure don't price them as simple, though.

Thanks again !

Actually, I just got my 1/72 Tamiya Birdcage Corsair to replace the Hase one in my Jolly Rogers collection (I've found the Tamiya ones look INFINITELY better than the Hases), and I got it CHEAP...eBay sent me a voucher at Christmas time for $20 off any purchase (guess it's for being a good customer or occassional seller or something). It doesn't cover shipping, just the item itself. So I found a guy in Colorado selling it for $15 plus $5 shipping, and my total price was $5, shipping included! Score! :blink: