Do you think we'll see a new tool 48th Tornado?

New 48th Tornado  

40 members have voted

1. 1. New 48th Tornado

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Yes who do you think will do it

• Revell Germany
    • Trumpeter/Hobby Boss
    • Hasegawa
    • Other (Lindburg maybe?)

I just got to wondering if we'll see a new mold Tornado in 48th anytime soon, to replace the old Airfix and Italieri kits.

Considering how much trouble it is to try and build 'Fins' to any specific aircraft (Desert Storm, needs an Airfix original issue for RAF weapons, Italieri kit, aftermarket decals and whatever extra resin (Paragon for example) you decide to use to get a GR1/1a from Op Granby, it'd be nice to have all the stuff OOB and ready to go.

Matt

My first attempt to do a poll so hopefully it'll work! :)

WARNING: I screwed up the poll....If you note NO to the first part just vote in the Lindburg line of manufacturers (AKA the OTHER) otherwise it'll not take the vote and I cannot figure out how to edit the line in the poll..... :doh:

Edited by Matt Roberts
I just got to wondering if we'll see a new mold Tornado in 48th anytime soon, to replace the old Airfix and Italieri kits.

Considering how much trouble it is to try and build 'Fins' to any specific aircraft (Desert Storm, needs an Airfix original issue for RAF weapons, Italieri kit, aftermarket decals and whatever extra resin (Paragon for example) you decide to use to get a GR1/1a from Op Granby, it'd be nice to have all the stuff OOB and ready to go.

Matt

My first attempt to do a poll so hopefully it'll work! :lol:

Voted for Revell-Germany. Hopefully a scale down of their 1/32 kit :wacko:

Nick

The poll doesn't work properly if you chose 'no'. Personally, though I'd like to see it, I doubt we'll ever see a new tool!

I rather wish Revell would do all of the following though, since it'd go a long way towards easing the problems associated with building a Tornado GR4:

1) Retool the existing kit to correct the tail shape, and (depending on how they wanted to box it/what variants they wanted to represent) fair over the right hand side fun fairing.

2) Provide an extra sprue with a corrected tail and correct weapons pylons, a GR4 undernose FLIR fairing, new instrument panels (with TARDIS screen in the back), Hindenburg fuel tanks and maybe a LITENING 3 pod and a pair of enhanced paveway II LGBs.

3) Provide with a nice new Cartograf printed decal sheet with an option for a pair of jets in the new medium sea grey scheme, and maybe two jets in the older two tone grey scheme (say a 14sqn or 12 sqn jet since aftermarket is thin on the ground for these units, and then 9sqn cos their markings are cool!) with full and accurate stenciling, like the Typhoon kit.

Rebox and sell alongside new-tool Eurofighter for around £18-20. I'd lap that up, and think many others would too.

A new tooling would be nice, sure, but I doubt we'll see it, and if you want to make a current RAF machine then the above would represent a massive leap forward over the current charade of an italeri/airfix kitbash with lots of aftermarket bits and bobs.

Edited by Will2K65
Looks like you have to choose an answer for both questions or the poll won't take it. It won't just let you answer "no" to the first question, which makes the second question irrelevant.

Sneaky was to ensure only "yes" answers. :lol:

Maybe I should go to work designing electronic voting machines....

Sorry my first attempt at a poll, it was either going to be who would you expect to do so..or...do you think we'll see a.... So I tried both. Maybe I'll add a 'none' to the manufacturer list

I guess that is why you don't see too many multiple question polls around here! :wacko:

Matt

I voted "yes" (take this rather as a maybe) and Trumpy/DaBoss.

The way some of you put your aswers like "I hope Revell will do it..." shows that they rather stated what they wish... well, I'm actually with you, but I say forget it. :P

Let's face it, Revell isn't overly enthusiastic about new stuff in 1/48.

They're all about 1/72, because that's how they make profit and keep existing.

Hasegawa - I don't think so. They rather pop out a new mold of something Japanese or WWII.

So all I can hope for is the attitude of the Chinese newcomers: getting out of your comfort zone, do something others don't and be willing (or just have) to risk something - I wish them the Best of Luck! :lol:

:cheers:

Oliver

Edited by Oliver
As above, most likey I would have thought would be from Revell, least likely would be Hasegawa or Tamiya.

To be honest I don't see THAT much wrong with the Italeri kit, sure the fin is slightly off at the base and the thrust reverse mechanism between the burners is poorly represented, but I don't see another manufacturer doing a better job than the paragon stuff that is currently available to improve the Italeri kit, don't forget if Revell or any other manufacturer did another 1/48 Tornado, we would STILL be buying aftermarket resin to improve it

I have a lot of time for the Italeri kit, its cheap, and builds into a very good representation of the Tornado, with finely recessed panel lines and a half decent cockpit and landing gear, OOB it can look stunning.

What Skii said. Mind you tamiya kit would be modelling Nirvana for me. Don't Revell already sell the Italeri kit as a rebox? It's not that common but crops up from time to time on ebay.

I guess the reaoning behind my question is that here in the States the Italieri kit is available but to do it as something 'interesting' weapons or marking wise it's almost imposible. The RAF weapons I'd like to use (TILAD and Paveways, JP-223 anti runway dispensers, or ALARMS) are unavailable right now as the Airfix GR-1 is OOP and markings to do Gulf War or later would have to be sourced via Hannets. The new Typhoon kit has spoiled me for what a modern kit should be, great decals, awsome selection of weaponry for multiple users and a pretty good price, even now with the price 'doubling' here in the States to nearly $30.

Like many things if you have the time and money to search for and source stuff you can build almost anything. Just right now it'd be nice to be able to go into a shop and grab a Tornado off the shelf with all the options at a reasonable price.

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

I'm a bit late to the poll but I still like to get on my soap box.

As much as I'd love to see a newly tooled, accurate and easy-to-build 1/48 Tornado with decent weapon selections, I believe the prospect of seeing one in the near future is rather bleak, to say the least.

Considering how long the Fin has served, how many variants it has evolved into and how many load possiblities (not to even mention paint scmemes!), I think this is THE most neglected subject in model aviation.

So are we going to see an all new 1/48 Tornado? The question is who will do it?

The Japanese Big 3 (yeh, I'm including Fujimi here)? I hear that the Japanese market along is bigger than the rest of the world combined so they're most likely to produce subjects that are popular in Japan. Modern European jets just don't seem to attract much attention there. When was the last time you see a model of a modern European jet being announced in Japan? Let's see.....hmmm...wasn't it the 1/72 Tornado by Hasegawa, in the late 80'-early 90's? Considering how many next-generation European fighters are (or already have) entering into service now, I think we can see clearly that there's simply no interest in such subjects in Japan.

Revellegram? I think Revell is happy just reboxing Italeri's so there no need to invest in new tooling. Airfix and Italeri have done there share so they're off the hook. What about the Chinese guys? Well, perhaps. But judging from the recent pricing policy these guys are adopting it might be wayyy above many of us's expectation if and when they do issue a new Tornado.

Yes I absolutely agree that a new 1/48 Tornado is sorely needed but I can't say I can see one coming.

Yes, and it will be from Revell.

I think Revell is happy just reboxing Italeri's

So why have they done 2 new-tool Typhoons in 1/72? Revell are on a one-company quest to produce modern kits of every post-war Luftwaffe subject. I mean c'mon, a new tool Transall???

A new tool Tornado in 1/48 for £15-20 would be money in the bank for Revell. They have got the combination of qualilty and low price down better than any other manufacturer.