Gunze Mr Color Metallic Paint

Does anyone have any tips on how to use these paints? It seems like when I goto use them they just rub off the plastic or primer I spray them over...
Scott,

While I haven't used these personally, if you're locked in to

acrylic natural metal finishes, try these from Hawkeyes Hobbies.

I wouldn't use either Tamiya OR Gunze Sangyo NMF paints.

http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com/

Scroll down to see the line of paint that they offer.

I am using Alclad II for my own NMF, which is lacquer-based.

HTH

Jim

Scott,

I have used Mr Color metallic paints recently, and the best tip on using them is... stay away from them, especially if you need to cover a large area on your model. While they airbrush just as well as other Mr Color acrylics, the finish is rather grainy, since the pigment particles appear to be too large. The same applies to Tamiya mettallic paints.

I believe you are referring to Mr. Metal Color. These are buffing paints, similar to Modelmaster Metallizer Buffing. Therefore, when you spray them on, they will come out a little grainy/powdery. They are NOT designed to be left alone -- they MUST be buffed.

Once dry, use a soft cloth or t-shirt to buff them out to a mirror-like shine.

The secret to getting a great-looking finish with these paints are:

1) apply a gloss black undercoat

2) spray Mr. Metal color lightly and buff until you're almost down to the black undercoat

3) spray again and repeat, until you have a deep, well-polished finish

If you prefer a duller look, simply buff less. By adjusting the darkness and glossiness of the base coat, you can get different metallic finishes, even if only using one shade of Mr. Metal Color.

I believe you are referring to Mr. Metal Color. These are buffing paints, similar to Modelmaster Metallizer Buffing. Therefore, when you spray them on, they will come out a little grainy/powdery. They are NOT designed to be left alone -- they MUST be buffed.

2) spray Mr. Metal color lightly and buff until you're almost down to the black undercoat

If you prefer a duller look, simply buff less. By adjusting the darkness and glossiness of the base coat, you can get different metallic finishes, even if only using one shade of Mr. Metal Color.

yep thats what I have...can I apply future over them so I dont have to worry about it coming off after I'm done using them?

Its not a big issue since I already have Alcad and acrylic stuff from SNJ..

Just use Gunzeร‚ยดs own "Mr. Metall Primer" as a primer for the Metallic Colours and for sealing them.

This will prevent the paint from peeling off during masking and handling and seals perefctly with a nice sheen.

Gunzeร‚ยดs buffable metallic coluors are great stuff, superior compared to the alclad stuff, if used properly.

I have had no problems with them. Mostly I've been using them on landing gears and in some exhaust nozzles.

They don't work without buffing and after that I've always sealed the paint with a coat of future and then done all the weathering and - if needed - added other shades on top of it (on exhausts).

I've just ordered some Aluminium from this range, and wonder if it can be masked? If I spray it over Mr Surfacer, seal with Klear/Future, and then mask will the finish hold?

I am actually looking for a dull aluminium finish. I've tried using standard Mr Color Silver (8), but it's simply too shiny - I'm doing the underside of a painted French Mirage III. I've had a good look, and as far as I can tell, GS don't do a matt aluminium...

For a shiny finish, Mr Color silver sprayed over Mr Base White seems to be the equal of Alclad II (which I used in the UK, but can't get hold of in China).

Cheers

Jon