Here's a tip and technique I sent in to FSM in 1985, which they felt wasn't worthy of print.

Before the resin craze took over (which I'm very thankful for) we steam-powered aribrush types had to raid whatever we could to create our minitature beauties. While reworking the seats on a HGWA F-4G, I was trying to come up with the best seatbelts I could.

Looking in my toolbox in the garage, I grabbed a roll of teflon plumber's tape. Right consistency, wrong width. I tried cutting them to width freehand, but that didn't work. Instead, I taped two #11 blades together side by side and I had the right working width. Unroll some plumber's tape, run the blades down a length of it and you have a nice run of the right width tape.

The next step was buckles. Waldron is still the best on this, I think. They have the most beautiful nickel photoetch sets I've ever seen and they don't need to be painted. Take the length of tape, run it through the buckles as you would the real thing, fold it, glue it with CA and it's now a belt with a buckle. Then, just glue it to the seat where you want it, cut off the excess and you have a perfect (and poseable) belt. You can paint them with enamels, but I never tried acrylics. Many people who had been modeling a lot longer than me looked at those belts and immediately wanted to know.

It may sound a little difficult, and I found it trying at times, especially since I had to do two seats, but I was very pleased. Sorry no photos.....I hadn't developed that skill yet.

Try it though, you'll like it. ;)

;) great tip airbus. Always wanted to find a way to make seatbelts besides using the ol' tamiya masking tape. But where would one get some plumbers tape? at a hardware store?

i think u should send an article to ARC

Great tip!!!!!!!!!

I just went out and bought some of the teflon tape for my new compressor connections and was wondering how that tape would work and you just answered my question. Also, great idea on the cutting tool.

Was wondering you the tape takes paint?

Never thought to try that, may give it a shot.

Another method that works real well is the foil from the top of wine bottles. It's quite thin enough, and will hold shapes when you drape or fold like a real seat belt.

Just another idea for everyone.

Are you absolutely sure the tape will take any paint at all?  After all, isn't Teflon noted for its non-stick properties.  Try painting a frying pan!

and that reminds me:

If nothing sticks to Teflon, how do they get it to stick to the pan? :o

But seriously though, Airbusteacher, do you paint the belts before or after you have installed and posed them on the seats?

Mark B.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was wondering you the tape takes paint?

It takes enamels (MM) just fine. I have no idea about acrylics...or others.

Are you absolutely sure the tape will take any paint at all? After all, isn't Teflon noted for its non-stick properties. Try painting a frying pan!

*sigh*

OK Boys and girls...... no running with scissors.... keep your eyes on your own paper....... eyes front people......ecoutez!!!!!

I've painted it with enamels, but I don't know about acrylics

I've painted it with enamels......I've painted it with enamles......

ENAMELS

PAINTED IT

I DID.......

WITH ENAMELS.......EEEEENAAAAAAAMELLLLLLSSSSSSS

But I don't know about acrylics...

But you can paint it with enamels

I suppose you could paint it with acrylics, but I never did, so I don't know about that.

I would suggest you try enamels.

If nothing sticks to Teflon, how do they get it to stick to the pan?

Why do you have to iron permanent press clothes?

How do cars with anti-lock brakes ever come to a complete stop?

Why isn't a 100+ kit stash 'enough'?

These kind of things keep me up at night... :o

Why is it, after spending hundreds of hours modifying/scratchbuilding a subject not kitted, someone makes a kit of it?

Yogi Berra's son, when asked if he was like his dad replied, "Yeah, but our similarities are different".

Go figure

:P

Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so....... ;)

;)

jamie

Tamiya masking tape is perfect for seatbelts. I have used this now on 3 kits, and I must say I am very happy with the results

Yes, but how did you paint them? Did you use enamels or acrylics or what....huh? WHAT? WHAT KIND OF PAINT DID YOU USE????!!!! HUH???

I WANNA KNOW>>>

TELL ME>>>>>>YOU MUST TELL MEEE

AAAGGHHHHHHHHHHH

:D :wave:

5 out of 4 dyslexics agree that

"Lysdexia, a thing awful is"

I'm not as think as you drunk I am... Okay someone call the guys in the white shirts.... But I'm wondering, Airbusteacher, how do you like painting with Acrylics, anyway? Can you share your feelings with us?

heeeeeeeee heeeeeeee

:wave:

Jamie