Hi all,

I am new here and I need some help. I am getting back into modeling and I am having a blast. I have built a F-14A and F-14D, both from Revell/Monogram. I remember this kit from when I was modeling as a kid. It is still as much of a pain in the neck as it was then.

I want to build another Tomcat but I don't want to do another R/M. The Hasegawa kits are out of the question because my wife would destroy me if I spent that much money on a kit and also, they are hard to find in 1/48th here in Seattle.

My local shop has both an Academy F-14A and an Italeri F-14A in 1/48th for $30.00 each.

Which one to choose? Which is the best quality?

Any help would be much appreciated

Edited by paul.nortness

Ditto the Academy. However, if it's construction issues that have you down, you're gonna be in for a shock. The Revell/Monogram kit and the Academy kit go together almost identically (in fact, some parts are completely swappable)... fit is generally a little better though.

Edited by Skull Leader
... fit is generally a little better though.

Unless you get the one I ended up with for the Tomcat Sunset build. MAN, that nose section was beyond any excuse. Fortunately (for everyone else) I seem to have gotten the only one warped like that. :whistle:

I want to build another Tomcat but I don't want to do another R/M. The Hasegawa kits are out of the question because my wife would destroy me if I spent that much money on a kit and also, they are hard to find in 1/48th here in Seattle.

hey dude, you can post a want-to-buy for a hasegawa kit here, I'm sure you can pick one up here for around $30.

but if you want it from the hobby shop, get the academy. the bombcat version has cool extras! :banana:

good luck and keep us posted! :banana:

I was "in the neighborhood" today so I stopped in and picked up the Academy kit. When I got home, I was amazed with the similarities with the Mono kit.....the construction is very much the same, which is fine with me....it was the fit that, well...gave me fits.

I was amazed to see even missle stencils on the decal sheet.

The shop owner had a couple of Fujima F-14s in 48th scale that he said he would be willing to part with for a "reduced" price....one was the black bunny from VX-4 and the other was a fleet bird...I think VF-114 Aardvarks.....anyone have any experience with Fujima Kitties?

Edited by paul.nortness
I was "in the neighborhood" today so I stopped in and picked up the Academy kit. When I got home, I was amazed with the similarities with the Mono kit.....the construction is very much the same, which is fine with me....it was the fit that, well...gave me fits.

I was amazed to see even missle stencils on the decal sheet.

The shop owner had a couple of Fujima F-14s in 48th scale that he said he would be willing to part with for a "reduced" price....one was the black bunny from VX-4 and the other was a fleet bird...I think VF-114 Aardvarks.....anyone have any experience with Fujima Kitties?

cool, good luck and keep us up to date on your work!!!!!

...if you're looking for something for your kids to use for target practice. :cheers:

i'm doing an italeri now, mainly to practice airbrushing the tps scheme. i don't think its quite that bad, it does have receesed panel lines, and fuel tanks ;)

i'm debating on using the box decals or an extra set of nicer Hasegawa's.....

i've seen italeri kits alot worse than the cat...but i agree its low on the awsome tomcat model list....

I rememer a modeller.. who taught me some things i should do, to make the monogram F-14D easier to build.. it had something to do with removing the innter sections of the Intake Ramps, it's supposed to make filling easier in that section.

And removing the Pivot wing mechanism,along with cutting out the pivot wing location pin..or mark, i don't know many technical names :thumbsup:

This makes the build comfortable,as you don't have to deal with the HUGE wingspan while painting.

No, the Fujimi mess was reboxed by Testors. RUN AWAY!!!!!

Even the Italeri kit is light years ahead of the Testjimi ...

Having built the Testijimi, I can attest to that. It's a greek tragedy in box. I could name off all the surgery it took to make it even LOOK like a tomcat and there was still a ton of stuff I should've done!