F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

Awesome research photo's!

Not to side track or hijack the thread, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out by casting your vote for a 1/48th F-14 Tomcat from Tamiya.

Please take the survey so we can hear your voice!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/survey/index.php?sid=98248

Dude, at this point, you're practically spamming that survey.

Well, if it makes you feel better Chris, here is a public apology for what may seem to be spamming to you. Is only an effort for me to have Tamiya produce a 1/48th F-14 Tomcat with the same engineering and tooling quality that was put worth with the Lockheed Martin F-16CJ (Block 50)item# 61098, Lockeed F-16C (block 25/32) item#61101, and F-16C (Block 32/52) item#61103. In the end, I apologize to you for my enthusiasm and passion.

Awesome research photo's!

Not to side track or hijack the thread, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out by casting your vote for a 1/48th F-14 Tomcat from Tamiya.

Please take the survey so we can hear your voice!

http://www.tamiyausa.com/survey/index.php?sid=98248

Well, you did hijack it. congratulations and quit showing everyone that damned survey. This is at least the 4th time I've seen it... and you weren't just pushing it for the Tomcat, I've seen you hawking it for the Phantom and the guys in the prop forum too.

Edited by Skull Leader

I agree with Brian and Fuji. As much as I love the Tomcat, the fact of the matter is that it is dead. There's no way (unless of course, Northrop Grumman somehow in the future manages to get approved to redesigning the F-14's design into the F-28 or something..which will only happen in the next century if at all) that the F-14 is flying again. It's had its awesome run. We can still be glad that some Tomcats are still flying in elsewhere in the world. The squadrons have moved on, and we should too. For a fighter jet in the late late twentieth century, I'm glad it had 5 kills.

We have boatloads of videos and photos. We'll just have to live with that. AMARG will do its job. We'll fulfill ours by building the models to represent them. Fightertown has so many resources, I'm sure one day we can all get together and pile our 1/48th Tomcats together and probably rebuild the fleet (okay, that's a bit ambitious, maybe all of the last cruise Tomcats).

Move on people! The Super Hornets are here to stay until the F-35 (hmmm, VFA-103 F-35, wonder what that would look like).

Back to Tomcat photos....

Anyone have any specifications (i.e. blueprints) of the landing gear of an F-14D? Detailed pics would be useful too. I'm interested in range of travel for the oleos too.

The gear is the same as the F-14A and B. IIRC the main gear oleo sturt travel was between 18 to 24 and about twelve inches for the nose.

HTH

Reddog :cheers:

The gear is the same as the F-14A and B. IIRC the main gear oleo sturt travel was between 18 to 24 and about twelve inches for the nose.

HTH

Reddog :cheers:

Ok great about the travel. Do you have any good pics of the F-14A gear? :worship:

I'm basically trying to accuratize the 1:32 Tamiya kit as much as possible, using the kit plastic where applicable.

Ok great about the travel. Do you have any good pics of the F-14A gear? :banana:

I'm basically trying to accuratize the 1:32 Tamiya kit as much as possible, using the kit plastic where applicable.

Don't have any pics but there a load of stuff on the web and in the ARC walkaround section. The gear was the same on all Tomcats, the only thing that changed was the main wheel hubs over time.

Reddog :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
You know, when you think about the actual fron-line service life of US Naval aircraft - old 'Thomas' the cat had a pretty good run. The Phantom came out in the early sixties and was being replaced by the Tomcat from the mid 70's. The A-6E and A-7E had moderate length service lives by comparison.

I wonder if SLUF, Intruder or Tomcat pilots who transitioned over to the legacy Hornet had any regrets or loved he leap forward in technology.

Although the F-14 is unique, like a sassy, sexy F-111 with attitude.

A good friend of mine, Nix Mannix, went from A-7s to Legacy and then eventually Super Hornets. Loved every step up though he fondly remembers his Corsair days. One thing I found funny was how he, when CO of the Royal Maces, kind'a quietened down some rumblings from his pilots complaining about the new Super Hornet's Tanker Mission. He told told then that this wasn't new to the community, that in fact its come back from the A-7 days and even the A-4s before that. He said if Skyhawks could give gas, no reason they shouldn't be able too. Also, from his A-7 days, he LIKED the single seat tanker mission as it gave him some alone time in his jet without worrying about too much. I guess it was a time he could decompress. He said he liked to catch up mail and even - Ehgads! - paperwork! - on those flights.

What sqaudron is that in the backgroud? VF-1???

I'm not positive but I don't believe those Tomcats are assigned a squadron yet in that photo, looks like production numbers of some sort on the tails to me ...

Dave or one of the other Tomcat Gurus will know better than I though ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
I'm not positive but I don't believe those Tomcats are assigned a squadron yet in that photo, looks like production numbers of some sort on the tails to me ...

Dave or one of the other Tomcat Gurus will know better than I though ...

Gregg

Those Tomcats were photographed on the Grumman ramp prior to squadron delivery.

Cheers,

Dvae

Anyone have any specifications (i.e. blueprints) of the landing gear of an F-14D? Detailed pics would be useful too. I'm interested in range of travel for the oleos too.

Am I wrong or did the "Iron Works" use the same main gear for the Tomcat as they did for the Intruder, to cut down on costs, build time, and a few other factors that saved Uncle Sugar some dollars. I believe I read that somewhere back in time, the nose gear is a different animal...

Happy Turkey Day. Here's one that looks a little well done. Anyway, a question was posed on another thread about the colour of the walkways on Vandy-1. They were flat black anti-skid.

F-14D164604VX-9oct95.jpg

Hey, I've been there ! :lol:

Gregg