A-4M Skyhawk "armament"

Hi to all,

I'm making the Hasegawa 1:48 kit of the A-4M Skyhawk and I will use the "Two Bobs" low vis decals.

I would like to put the auxiliary tanks and some armament in the pylons, what kind of appropriate armament I can put in?

Thank you for the help. :rofl:

Roberto

Most A-4M types in the late 80's early 90's carried standard freefall weapons. Most common will be the MK-82 500lb weapons (either slick or with BSU high drag fins) or MK-20 ROCKEYE. Most photos I see show the weapons directly mounted to the parent rack. Rockets were also common.

http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/top/v/SK22.jpg

Great photo of an A-4M with Rockeye and MK-82.

Cheers

Atis

Hi to all,

I'm making the Hasegawa 1:48 kit of the A-4M Skyhawk and I will use the "Two Bobs" low vis decals.

I would like to put the auxiliary tanks and some armament in the pylons, what kind of appropriate armament I can put in?

Thank you for the help. :salute:

Roberto

Other than the built-in 20mm, this A-4M isn't armed, but it may give you some ideas:

Photos were taken at NAS Kadena, Okinawa in 1980.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/DDonSS3/A-4M/

42.jpg

Edited by DonSS3

Also the A-4M's were loaded with MER's on the centerline or on the inner hardpoints, and on the MER's they had a few Mk 82's snakeyes, or other item that was most common on them was an AMCI pod. What also might help you out is go get the Book on A-4M's by Ginter Books,

Here is the link A-4M Book at Squadron that should give ton of options on how to load up your Skyhawk.

HTH

Stanton :salute:

From my observations of A-4Ms at the end (before VMA-223 changed to Harriers), the centerline tank was a permanent fixture. I don't recall ever seeing one of 223's or MALS-32's Skyhawks without one. Tanks on stations 2 and 4 were rare. Often there were MERs or, sometimes, TERs on 2 and 4. When Mk82s were carried there were 5 on a MER, the inboard forward station was left empty to prevent problems with things hitting the open gear door. Sidewinder rails with adapters were pretty common on stations 1 and 5, although sometimes you saw 2.75 rocket pods out there (1 pod per).

• 2 weeks later...

After your suggestions I decided to load my A-4M as follows:

Station 1 & 5: LAU-10 Rockets Launcher

Station 2 & 4: TER with MK-82 Snakeye Bombs

Station 3: Drop Tank

If I'm wrong for something please advise me ;)

Thank you

Roberto

• 2 months later...
This thread has been very helpful because I'm also working on a low-vis A-4M but in 1/72.

If it is okay to "piggy back" and addition question for the experts:

Could a MK 77 be carried on Station 1 & 5 instead of the LAU-10?

Not a Skyhawk expert but I would say yes, you should be able to load Mk 77's from the outboard stations.

Reddog :salute:

Edited by Reddog
Yep, my Dad was in one of those units, '311. Ahhh, growing up in "Tomcat Country", brings back memories- :salute: -VG

I probably seen your Dad coming into the break many times spotting at El Toro then ... B)

Gregg

Continued nice work! Where are you getting your Mk.77s from? I didn't know anyone even made those in 1/48 :D

jb

I'm sorry for not be able to help you, I will use the LAU-10 Rockets Launchers and the MK-82 Snakeye Bombs on my A-4.

Roberto