Alright Pat,

Nothing in 72nd scale yet, for any Eurofighter. The Revell Typhoon does a lot of stores but only two wing pylons per wing to hang them (and one of those is for the outer SRAAM).

Aftermarket pylons and air-intake tunnels are defineatly needed for Typhoon, I`m currently making my tunnels out of cut-down fuel tanks but, with a few Typhoons on the go, I`m starting to run out of fuel tanks! (Lawks :bandhead2: ).

For extra pylons I am stealing from my other Typhoon kits and reshaping them as each station has a different shaped pylon.

I`ve not heard of anything in 48th either.

Cheers, Ian

Thanks Ian,

I forgot to mention that I do have the 1/48 model. I didn't even think about getting another model and doing that. Now for another question. Is there a loadout that doesn't use the pylons/bomb racks such as air to air so I can rob the racks? Thanks again.

Pat,

Alright Pat,

Nothing in 72nd scale yet, for any Eurofighter. The Revell Typhoon does a lot of stores but only two wing pylons per wing to hang them (and one of those is for the outer SRAAM).

Aftermarket pylons and air-intake tunnels are defineatly needed for Typhoon, I`m currently making my tunnels out of cut-down fuel tanks but, with a few Typhoons on the go, I`m starting to run out of fuel tanks! (Lawks :blink: ).

For extra pylons I am stealing from my other Typhoon kits and reshaping them as each station has a different shaped pylon.

I`ve not heard of anything in 48th either.

Cheers, Ian

The Revell kit that is more accurate and with the right shape, has also all types of weapons that the Typhoon can use included. If you can take this kit I suggest you.

Roberto

Thanks Ian,

I forgot to mention that I do have the 1/48 model. I didn't even think about getting another model and doing that. Now for another question. Is there a loadout that doesn't use the pylons/bomb racks such as air to air so I can rob the racks? Thanks again.

Pat,

Sorry I replied in the wrong place, pls read my post above

Roberto

Edited by Drake64

Assuming you're making an RAF bird, with only a couple of additions to the parts in the box (and a little imagination) you can make quite a well loaded Typhoon.

Outer pylons carry ASRAAM. These are included. On the next pylons in, (also included in the kit) you can either leave empty or load a pair of Paveway II (UK) bombs (this has been flown and demonstrated, although these stations are currently used for ASRAAM in service). The next pair of pylons can have the fuel tanks or the Paveways, or a pair of Storm Shadows (although Storm Shadow isn't in service on Typhoon yet). If you fit the fuel tanks, you will need to attach the pylon to the tank BEFORE putting it onto the aircraft. Don't follow the instructions as it will not be accurate. The fuel tank and pylon are all one piece, so you need to fit them together and blend the join with some filler. Centreline can be empty or it can have a fuel tank from the box. Alternatively you could scratch-built a pylon and fit a 'reversed' LITENING III targeting pod if you are carrying the Paveways, as this will allow for self-designation.

Paveways can be sourced from the Airfix Tornado GR.1/GR.4 kits and the LITENING III pod from Doctor Pepper resins (make sure you get the REVERSED pod). I'm currently looking for another pair of ASRAAMs and decals, as I'm hoping to model one of the QRA birds (with scratch-built pylons).

As for 'bare bones' loadouts, there have been many flights with only the outer ASRAAM pylons fitted, most notably the 29 Sqn demo Typhoon this summer.

Edited by Bobski

The only current *operational* loadout on the RAF version is four ASRAAM on the outer wing hardpoints, four AMRAAM under the fuselage, and two tanks on the mid-wing hardpoints. This is what the QRA force flies with.

The other commonly seen loadout is a centerline tank, a captive ASRAAM under one wingtip and an ACMI pod under the other. Can't remember if there are any dummy AMRAAMs under the fuselage with this one...

Note that there seems to be a definite split between which Typhoons carry what loads - it seems that certain jets are training-only machines, while the newer ones with the extra rails and tanks are operational machines.

A/G loaded Typhoons, outside of the test airframes, is still in the realm of science fiction, though LGBs are very high on the list of to-be-qualified weapons, since the Brits want them really badly.

SP

Glad to help Pat.

Typhoons in the UK have been extensively trialled with Paveway II for next years` planned Afghan deployment, but still no pics of an `operational` load made public yet.

Paveway III and IV are also planned, probably the Enhanced versions with dual laser/GPS guidance.

Although we haven`t seen this stuff yet, I think it is safe to say that we will see these loads very soon, probably on No. 11 Squadron jets.

Just as a byline, Leuchars based 43 and 111 Squadrons look like having their Typhoon deliveries delayed to around 2009-11 due to the Saudi order, I read this in Airforces Monthly. Good news is that the order will pay for planned Typhoon upgrades.

Cheers, Ian

Outer pylons carry ASRAAM. These are included. On the next pylons in, (also included in the kit) you can either leave empty or load a pair of Paveway II (UK) bombs (this has been flown and demonstrated, although these stations are currently used for ASRAAM in service).

The second pylon in (the one currently used in the RAF's four-ASRAAM load), theone in line with the aileron actuator is not included in the RoG kit, and I've had the very devil of a job actually locating good pictures of it. Nearly every picture of an aircraft with this pylon has the pylon blanked by either the outboard ASRAAM pylon or the drop tank. I'm planning to add this pylon to my current Typhoon and have actually removed the actuator as it will be easier to just make the pylon and actuator in one piece than seperately.

What I did was to severely hack up pylons from spare fuel tanks and cut them to roughly mirror the camber of the actuators. I applied them in line with the actuators then got stuck in with the filler and sandpaper to produce one, seamless unit. I then hacked off the launch pylons from another Typhoon and added them for the four ASRAAM fit.

This is a bit brutal on the other Typhoons in the stash but is effective.

Mr Aftermarket, your assistance is required! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

I am heading to the printer as we speak. Thank you all so much for the information, please keep it coming if you please. I usually only do American modern fighters but this jet really got my attention and I think it is one beautiful aircraft. I just want it to be as accurate as I can make it with my limited skills. Hopefully if I get it together soon, I will post some pics. Thanks again.

Pat,

What I did was to severely hack up pylons from spare fuel tanks and cut them to roughly mirror the camber of the actuators. I applied them in line with the actuators then got stuck in with the filler and sandpaper to produce one, seamless unit. I then hacked off the launch pylons from another Typhoon and added them for the four ASRAAM fit.

This is a bit brutal on the other Typhoons in the stash but is effective.

Mr Aftermarket, your assistance is required! :banana:

Cheers, Ian

This is what I had in mind, but bear in mind from looking at pictures the actual launch adaptor is slightly different from the outboard one too! It has a slightly squarer nose, looks a bit more bluff, check it out in pictures. I think trimming the nose of the kit adaptor back a shade to make it blunter should suffice in 72nd.

This is what I had in mind, but bear in mind from looking at pictures the actual launch adaptor is slightly different from the outboard one too! It has a slightly squarer nose, looks a bit more bluff, check it out in pictures. I think trimming the nose of the kit adaptor back a shade to make it blunter should suffice in 72nd.

Yeah, I`ve got a real good comparison shot of ZJ936 but it is copyrighted and I`ve lost the link. I think it was on Airliners.net. It was a close up of both rails side-by-side.

We also forgot to mention that the outer rail has a built in chaff dispenser at the rear, as supplied by Revell, but this attachment needs to be removed from the inner ASRAAM launch rail making it a lot shorter than the outer version.

Cheers, Ian

Yeah, I`ve got a real good comparison shot of ZJ936 but it is copyrighted and I`ve lost the link. I think it was on Airliners.net. It was a close up of both rails side-by-side.

We also forgot to mention that the outer rail has a built in chaff dispenser at the rear, as supplied by Revell, but this attachment needs to be removed from the inner ASRAAM launch rail making it a lot shorter than the outer version.

Cheers, Ian

Hold the phone, these pics are right here on ARC courtesy of Gary1701. Post#8 is good for launch rails.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....=127236&hl=

There are real nice Typhoon pics on a few of Gary`s threads.

Cheers, Ian

Edited by Ian Buick
The second pylon in (the one currently used in the RAF's four-ASRAAM load), theone in line with the aileron actuator is not included in the RoG kit, and I've had the very devil of a job actually locating good pictures of it. Nearly every picture of an aircraft with this pylon has the pylon blanked by either the outboard ASRAAM pylon or the drop tank. I'm planning to add this pylon to my current Typhoon and have actually removed the actuator as it will be easier to just make the pylon and actuator in one piece than seperately.

So the second pylon is different from the QRA/ASRAAM pylon <_< I'll have to look again and check it out with the weapons people. I thought the pylon was accurate, but just missing the ASRAAM rail...

Glad to help Pat.

Typhoons in the UK have been extensively trialled with Paveway II for next years` planned Afghan deployment, but still no pics of an `operational` load made public yet.

Paveway III and IV are also planned, probably the Enhanced versions with dual laser/GPS guidance.

Although we haven`t seen this stuff yet, I think it is safe to say that we will see these loads very soon, probably on No. 11 Squadron jets.

Just as a byline, Leuchars based 43 and 111 Squadrons look like having their Typhoon deliveries delayed to around 2009-11 due to the Saudi order, I read this in Airforces Monthly. Good news is that the order will pay for planned Typhoon upgrades.

Cheers, Ian

Unfortunately, the Saudi order may end up with the cancellation of the RAF's tranche 3 order. The Government claims they can't afford to order tranche 3 and upgrade the earlier aircraft (this is, like most Government statements, utter bo**ocks).

Both the Enhanced and Non-Enhanced versions of the Paveway II have been trialled and should be ready to go out to Afghanistan.

Edited by Bobski

Here`s a cropped pic that is part of an article I have submitted to Steve. Although it is not showing the rear assembly I can tell you that the inner ASRAAM rail has the rear Chaff dispenser removed.

asraam.jpg

Cheers, Ian

Edited by Ian Buick

So when you're saying that the Paveway II is carried, is that with the British bomb body or the American MK-80 series? I was thinking of doing a mixed loadout with some missiles and maybe two GBU-24's. Does the jet carry a laser pod and if so, which one and where does it get mounted? Thanks again.

Pat,

So when you're saying that the Paveway II is carried, is that with the British bomb body or the American MK-80 series? I was thinking of doing a mixed loadout with some missiles and maybe two GBU-24's. Does the jet carry a laser pod and if so, which one and where does it get mounted? Thanks again.

Pat,

RAF Paveway II or enhanced Paveway II will be based on the British Mk13/18 1,000lb bomb. The new Paveway IV will be based on the Mk-82 500lb bomb body.

Pat,

The pod is going to be a multi-function LITENING III EH. I`ve read that it will be mounted centreline (which makes sense) although I haven`t seen any pics of this yet.

Cheers, Ian

Pat,

As the UK doesn't have any of it's own 2,000 lb bomb designs any more, their GBU-24 are based on the US versions.

The early 1,000 lb were based on a UK design, the later ones also, ( I think )

540 lb bombs - never used as a base for LGBs.

The new Paveway IV series are based on the US Mk.82 500 lb bombs, if I remember right

Regards,

Gerard

Pat,

Hi Guys,

Only just stumbled upon the thread. I think it's been on here before but here's a shot of the 11 Sqn jet's load in static at Fairford this year. Not up on my Paveway variants but you guys might be able to make more sense of it than I can. It didn't fly in with that inert load but one of the 17® jets at Coningsby has recently, as well as several company trials airframes.

IMG_4279-1.jpg

I've put the airliner's link below again of ZJ937 (QO-W) in the Q configuration while overshooting at Coningsby back in July.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1259318/L/

Also, bang upto date and last tuesday, same configuration with ZJ934 (QO-T).

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1285121/L/

If anybody wants any really large high quality images for their own personal reference use just PM me and I'll oblige.

Gary (whose work patterns now mean Coningsby is probably out of reach for six months!!)

Edited by gary1701

The LGB in Gary`s pic are inert UK Paveway II. Infact the only ground attack ordnance pictured on RAF jets so far seems to be Paveway II, which does not mean they are not intergrating other types, it just means that those images are not yet in the public domain.

I`m contemplating hanging Paveway III on a 72nd Typhoon as this is bound to happen in the real World at some point.

Cheers, Ian

The pod is going to be a multi-function LITENING III EH. I`ve read that it will be mounted centreline (which makes sense) although I haven`t seen any pics of this yet.

Cheers, Ian

I've seen a pic of a machine carrying a designator pod on one of the AIM-120

AMRAAM stations

I've also heard that Tranche 3 RAF machines could be cancelled to allow the

funding for the F-35