AIRBRUSHING NAIL POLISH

Hey all...

been a LONG time since i posted... but i read almost every day... still the GREATEST site for our hobby i think...

has anyone ever painted a model with nail polish?

since its laquer, i think it my be a little hot if thinnned with laq thinner... i am also building some cars and there are a LOT of cool colors for cars if one looks at the cosmetic aisle...

if anyone has painted with nail polish, whats the ratio for paint:thinner?

thanks guys!

TB

:doh:

Edited by TexasBlues

Actually, I've heard this is quite common with the ******** car-modeller set. I don't know what the cutting ratios with thinner or extender would be, but I suspect they would be around 50/50 given how goopy that stuff is.

Have you tried the cars forum over at FSM??

EDIT: Wow! "h.a.r.d.c.o.r.e" gets auto-edited??

Edited by RotorheadTX
I can vouch for the car modeler thing, as more than a couple of the "car guys" in our club do just that. You do have to thin it heavily, and lacquer thinner is your best bet do use.
So...would acrylic primer be recommended?

Greetings,

My brother-in-law routinely uses nail polish to paint his car bodies. The paint dries to a rock hard finish and he hs some very interesting colors. He goes to a beauty supply house and buys nail polish thinner and this is what he thins the polish with over Testers primer.

I recently used his technique on a Abrams build last year. I got a blue and a pink irridescent color and blended them together to do the optics on the tank. I don't believe I used any primer, just thin coats and was able to achieve the effect I was looking for.

Chuck B.