How often are a/c 'grounded' electrically ?

Planning on doing up a 1/32 tarmac dio for my Strike Eagle build.....and was wondering if I needed to show it with a grounding cable attatched.AFAIK....In my years that I refueled helicopters,they were only grounded electrically, right before we topped em' off with fuel.So any static electrical discharge didn't turn me and into a crispy critter.Is it different for fixed wing? Thanks in advance for the gouge...

Full Afterburner,

Scot M.

Edited by Scot M
Planning on doing up a 1/32 tarmac dio for my Strike Eagle build.....and was wondering if I needed to show it with a grounding cable attatched.AFAIK....In my years that I refueled helicopters,they were only grounded electrically, right before we topped em' off with fuel.So any static electrical discharge didn't turn me and into a crispy critter.Is it different for fixed wing? Thanks in advance for the gouge...

Full Afterburner,

Scot M.

G'day Scott,

Well I can't speak for the US guys but here in Australia (in the military) if it's parked then it's earthed (grounded).

Cheers,

Motty.

USN aircraft are usually grounded only during fueling and ordnance loading/downloading operations. The only other time they are usually ground is when they are in the hanger while on the beach. There may be other times but they are very few.

Reddog :thumbsup:

In the Air Force we don't touch an aircraft unless it is grounded.

Chappie

What Chappie said! Even when our jets were on alert with all the pins pulled the static ground cable was still attached. If you want to earn a big unsat on your next eval work on the jet ungrounded.

What Chappie said! Even when our jets were on alert with all the pins pulled the static ground cable was still attached. If you want to earn a big unsat on your next eval work on the jet ungrounded.

We do things so much different than you guys, we pull pins before the engines are started, the seat is armed in the chocks, not at the end of the runway.

The only thing we do the same is weapons.

The only time we grounded our birds is when we were loading/downloading ordnance, fueling/defuleing (including hot pitting) and when they were in the hanger on the beach. We never had our's ground while just sitting on the, flight line, flight deck or in the hanger on the boat, and that went for the whole CAG. The only other time we would ground it is if the maintenance procedure we were doing called for it specifically. The only shops in the squadron who had grounding straps (cables) was us (ordnance shop for loading/downloading), AME (seat shop for doing seat mainteance in the shop) or the Line Shack (Plane Captains for fueling operations), everyone else would come check them out from us or the line.

This was for every squadron I was in and every CAG, guess things changed after I retired.

Reddog :thumbsup:

The only time we grounded our birds is when we were loading/downloading ordnance, fueling/defuleing (including hot pitting) and when they were in the hanger on the beach. We never had our's ground while just sitting on the, flight line, flight deck or in the hanger on the boat, and that went for the whole CAG. The only other time we would ground it is if the maintenance procedure we were doing called for it specifically. The only shops in the squadron who had grounding straps (cables) was us (ordnance shop for loading/downloading), AME (seat shop for doing seat mainteance in the shop) or the Line Shack (Plane Captains for fueling operations), everyone else would come check them out from us or the line.

This was for every squadron I was in and every CAG, guess things changed after I retired.

Reddog :)

Yep it changed... Hornets are finicky like that! :yahoo: