Air brush pre-shading

Im practicing my pre-shading technique on an old kit, and you for the life of me I cant airbrush the darn lines straight at all.. see some of you guys have it down perfectly straight. HOW!!! I totally go off the lines when Im preshading so can you guys give me some tips on how to make it look nice? Thanks!!

EJ

Guest hawaiiandelight1989

I have tried pre-shading but after the final coat...there seems to be no perceptable difference in the color variation. I am not an expert so any help would greatly be appreciated.

Hi EJ,

I've been preshading for two years now so I'm still fairly rookie at this, but I've found that you don't actually have to have nice, straight lines. Just preshade the lines roughly. The idea of preshading is to highlight the panel lines, then "fill in" the top coat in between the lines first before a final, complete brush-over. So we're talking about thicker coats on the unshaded areas and lighter coats over the shaded lines to bring out the detail. I'm not sure if I've articulated it right, but you're basically "erasing" your crooked lines when you paint over them. Also, I use light strokes instead of a single stroke to shade my lines. Take a look over at the WW2 Twin Engine Group Build and check out my Fujimi BF-110. The thread's entitled "Here's Mine - Tom's Fujimi Bf-110." I hope that answered your question, and good luck on the preshading! Oh, and I guess practice is important too.

Hawaiiandelight, I assume that your "final coat" is the last layer of paint. Try (on a small area first!) putting on some gloss coat. Gloss coats will saturate into the paint and bring out the color tones. Your preshades might just pop out! Or then again you might just be putting on too many layers. Like I said, I'm still learning, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I'll post some more pictures of my Bf-110 tomorrow (my hand's a lot better and I can finally start modeling again). Hope that helps!

tom

I agree with supertom.

The lines don't have to be perfectly straight, just get them as straight as you can and try not to make them too wide.

Then use a thinner mix of paint than normal and gradually build up the intensity of colour with several light coats until you are satisfied with the effect.

Paint doesn't fade in straight lines, so I wouldn't worry about preshading with perfectly straight lines. If you're going wildly off path, try bracing your little finger on the unpainted part of the plane. Another thing that might work, is to brace your elbows on your workbench, that should help too.

No need for straight lines. It's what you do when you shoot the final coats of paint that makes the difference. I normally shoot the color full strength in the center of each panel...then back off and mist the same color over the area and slowly blend in the darker, preshaded panel lines to my liking. Example:

Pict0001.jpg

migs3feb04-1.jpg

Cheers