Here goes my first entry

Well, I'm finished with my horrendous pre-shading job. Honestly, I've never been very good at this for some reason. I don't have the steadiest of hands, but I think I have the airbrush set up a little incorrectly. If anyone has any suggestions, they'd be appreciated. Anyway, here are some pics before heading back out to the paint shop.

RC-12_paint1002.jpg

RC-12_paint1004.jpg

SLICK

Just finished spraying the base coat and a small bit of darker colors along the panel lines near the engines for weathering. I took a lot of pictures to try to get the actual color, but the camera makes the model look a lot lighter than it really is.

RC-12_paint2011_edit.jpg

RC-12_paint2005_edit.jpg

SLICK

That's reaaly unique and great subject!!!

I love that subtle preshadin...I can see through the basecoat and i see a very realistic panel effect...well done with that light preshading!!!

Cheers

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the painting today. I sprayed a light coat of gray over the entire model, then masked the areas to be painted black. All I have to say is, that was the worst masking session I have ever been through! It took forever, and it didn't help that the model is so small, I'm used to 1/48. First I sprayed flat black, then let that dry and masked for the gloss black areas of the de-ice boots. I also sprayed all of the antennas.

RC-12Q_again_paint_1012.jpg

RC-12Q_again_paint_1014.jpg

RC-12Q_again_paint_1017.jpg

RC-12Q_again_paint_1018.jpg

RC-12Q_again_paint_1020.jpg

SLICK

Well, I did some weathering today and attached all of the antennas on the top of the aircraft....what a pain in the @$$!!!! It took forever. Sorry if the picture quality is terrible, my hands are still shaking from trying to hold steady enough to attach the parts. I need at least three hands.

RC-12Q_antennas002.jpg

RC-12Q_antennas003.jpg

RC-12Q_antennas006.jpg

RC-12Q_antennas008.jpg

SLICK

Just a quick update. Yesterday I sprayed the future coat and today I added the decals that come with the kit. Tomorrow I will be making the decals for the tail that pertain to this particular aircraft.

RC-12Decals_1019.jpg

SLICK

Very nice indeed! She looks to be a tail sitter though. Are you planning on pinning her down at the front?

A little constructive critique if I may.....those exhausts need toning down and repainting to burnt iron rather than rusted red.

I have the RVHP Guardrail myself and know that you have done well with the build as there is ALOT of casting errors and flash on the parts. Looking forward to the end of this one!

Well done.

Thanks for the critique! I always welcome criticism. I only had Burnt Umber, so I had to make due with that mixed with a bit of light gray. I would have gone to the hobby shop to pick up a different color, but time is very valuable because I leave soon for Oshkosh and needed to finish the kit before the group build ends while I'm on vacation. The camera flash may not have contributed positively with the colors either.

EDIT: Oh, and yes she is a tail sitter. I forgot to add weight... :doh:

SLICK

Edited by slick95

The model is now finished. Just posting a quick update from last night. I was masking off all the black areas that are to remain gloss before I sprayed the final flat coat.

RC-12Finished003.jpg

Finished pics will be in the critique corner and the Recon GB.

Thanks for watching!

SLICK

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the complements! I still suggest buying the kit...or at least finding one for cheap. It's got some nice panel lines and some fine molding as far as some fo the larger resin parts. The gear are a bit....eh, but they work. The model is fun and simple, the only thing that really takes time are the antennas. But it's a fun and different kit...ie not an F/A-18, F-16, F-14, F-15....not that I've never built those before.

SLICK