Hey all-

i just bought the resin engine and cockpit from sprue brothers for the trumy 1:32 F4U...

BUT... i am a total virgin when it comes to resin.... ive always wanted to use it (or try it), but never got around to it...

i want to put this beast int he PACAIR GB, so i have a little time...

can anyone offer me or direct me to suggestions on what to do/not do... how it behaves, what to expect etc...

how does it take acrylics? how does it sand/file?

im terrified that im gonna bone it up, and i just dropped some decent coin on it... :lol:

but just in case, im still putting together the OOB components :lol:

TIA all...

:worship:

can anyone offer me or direct me to suggestions on what to do/not do... how it behaves, what to expect etc...

Don't drop it, odds are it will break when it hits the floor.

Don't use plastic cements, use superglue or epoxy.

When cleaning up the pour blocks, try to keep the dust down, it can get everywhere and some people can't tolerate it.

how does it take acrylics?

Ok, however if you're going to mask any of the parts it is recommended that you prime the parts with a lacquer or enamel primer, preferably lacquer.

how does it sand/file?

Normally it is softer than plastic, so it sands and files easier than plastic.

Ken

When cleaning up the pour blocks, try to keep the dust down, it can get everywhere and some people can't tolerate it.

Try wet sanding or use a respirator. Prolonged/repeated exposure to resin sanding dust can cause serious problems down the road.

Try wet sanding or use a respirator. Prolonged/repeated exposure to resin sanding dust can cause serious problems down the road.

Maybe, possibly.

This whole thing about resin dust being hazardous started because someone read on the ingredients list a cancer warning for one or more of the components. If the resin is properly mixed and cured it is a plastic.

Any dust in sufficient quantities is bad for the lungs, whether it be soil, sand, grain, plastic or wood.

The reason I mentioned dust control is that anytime the subject of dry sanding resin comes up, a bunch of people say to wear a mask or respirator or SCUBA gear or something because the dust is so hazardous, but no one mentions the fact that there will be sanding dust in the air, on your clothes, on the workbench, etc.

I'm a firm believer in taking the steps to eliminate a mess from the outset is easier than cleaning up the mess, any time I have to grind it with my moto-tool, I clamp the hose of my shop-vac to the edge of the workbench and do all my work over the hose, the suction pulls almost all the cuttings right down the hose, a few cuttings stick to the end of the moto-tool and my fingers at that's it.

Ken

I like to soak resin stuff in "simple green" cleaner for a bit then soapy water & rinse. Do this after you remove the pour blocks. Also, prime as mentioned in previous posts.

Any dust in sufficient quantities is bad for the lungs, whether it be soil, sand, grain, plastic or wood.

:thumbsup:

Hence my suggestion to do what one can to avoid prolonged/repeated exposure to resin sanding dust. You obviously agree, so I'm puzzled by your unnecessary posturing.

I didn't say anything about claimed component toxicity of resin dust, but you did a good job of misrepresenting my comment.

I didn't say anything about claimed component toxicity of resin dust, but you did a good job of misrepresenting my comment.

As did you by picking only one line of my post to comment on, instead of simply starting a new post from scratch.

Ken

ok then...

thanks for the info and opinions...

fisticuffs will be held OUT BACK of the forum... please makes sure that everyone signs a waiver and remember, there is NO GLASS allowed by the pool

:worship:

ok then...

thanks for the info and opinions...

fisticuffs will be held OUT BACK of the forum... please makes sure that everyone signs a waiver and remember, there is NO GLASS allowed by the pool

:thumbsup:

Fun and games...that's all it is.

Don't eat the resin and don't inhale the dust on purpose.

Fun and games...that's all it is.

Don't eat the resin and don't inhale the dust on purpose.

WELL CRAP...

there goes my plans for an exciting monday night...

guess i'll have to resort to trying to find the apple with the #11 in it

:deadhorse1:

as do i marine4ever...

but i prefer the much longer lasting effects of a insanely infected splinter in an area that i cant quite reach...

or maybe just a good old fashioned self induced fat lip

B)

ok folks...

i dove into the resin engine of my trumpy F4U... and I AM TERRIFIED! :worship:

the directions basically stink and since i have never worked with resin before, im afraid im gonna screw it up... which bites the big one because NONE of this stuff was cheap...

im figuring i'll take it WAAAAAY slow and build the other engine OOB in case i need a replacement...

any suggestions for the cockpit?

its so scary, i thought about skipping it all together... :salute:

i dont even know where to start (figuratively speaking)

ok folks...

i dove into the resin engine of my trumpy F4U... and I AM TERRIFIED! :rolleyes:

the directions basically stink and since i have never worked with resin before, im afraid im gonna screw it up... which bites the big one because NONE of this stuff was cheap...

im figuring i'll take it WAAAAAY slow and build the other engine OOB in case i need a replacement...

any suggestions for the cockpit?

its so scary, i thought about skipping it all together... :yahoo:

i dont even know where to start (figuratively speaking)

If you elaborate on what you find "scary" it might help with suggestions. Are you having problems with the instructions, the material, the assembly sequence, painting, glueing? What, exactly, is scaring you?

PBoilermaker-

i find ALL of it scary... i know its zap for glueing, and wash before painting and that stuff... the directions for the engine are HORRIBLE... and the cockpit has a lot of extra material that needs to be cut off...

i AM happy to announce that i got a saw attachment for my rotary and that i jumped into the engine with both feet last nite... CorsairMan has been spoonfeeding me details and such ( thanks very much, CorsairMan)

quick rundown...

crankcase is a custom mix of RLM 72 with some black (pretty close if not too blue)

cylinders are A/C interior black, over that is burnt iron metalizer, sealed and then drybrushed with metallic greay

exhausts are also the same as above without the grey DBing

i have some phone wire that i am going to use for the ignition wires, and i got some .025 rod for the pushrods (which have to scratchbuilt)

i plan to post pix in critiques tonie for opinions... so be on the lookout...

all in all, i think i was just intimidated by doing something new with an unknown (to me) material... but now that it has paint on it, she aint so scary...

so i got a little something for her... :salute:

you like apples?

how you like THEM apples?