Pappy's 1/72 French army Cougar

G'day people,

Hopefully this will be the first of two Puma's. This will be a French Army Cougar "Horizon", a heli-borne AWACS variant. I will be using the Eduard PE set as well as adding several scratchbuilt details.

I am basing the kit on the Italeri 1/72 As-532 Cougar as it has the appropriate stretched fuselage. The kit supplies two types of wheel sponsons, however both are incorrect for the version I want to build. I was given the wheel sponsons from the Heller "Super Puma Excocet" boxing and these are pretty close.

My first job was to see how close the Heller sponsons would fit the Italeri fuselage.

Hellersponsons.jpg

The fit was not too bad. I bevelled the inner surfaces along the bottom edge and sanded a little around the locating pin. The resultant fit was then much better.

sponsondryfit.jpg

The next task was to cut in anotch on the right wheel sponson. There is a notch on the real item, I presume it is to give access to the fuselage re-fueling point.

step.jpg

I now turned my attention to the engine bay. The kit supplies an engine bay roof/cabin ceiling. A dry fit refvealed that the item is too narrow and it kept falling through! My solution was to add some thin plastic strip along the edges.

floor2.jpg

I also started to add the Eduard PE items to the rotor mast. Work also commenced on the rotor head. I cut off the swash plate linkages and replaced them with some .020" plastic rod.

Eduardbrassside.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Your work is great. Never have have I seen a model that is below amazing!

Jake

G'day Jake,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, hopefully the praise will be justified.

Pretty cool subject! :coolio: Nice work so far! :D

What about an EC 725 Caracal? :D

G'day and thanks.

I would like to do one, but perhaps a little later.

The 'Horizon' is a relatively straightforward conversion, well apart from the great big radar array and the internals. I have heaps of external reference pics.

I don't have any pictures of the internal fit-out for the Horizon, can anyone help out?

G'day Patrick,

Thanks, I would really appreciate that,

cheers,

Pappy

Hi

So far the news have been bad because I cannot find any picture from the radar operator office and a friend of mine who has the opportunity to see one was not allowed to take pictures.

Still looking...

Patrick

If this is anything like your 'Humprey' the work will be outstanding. Looking good so far mate!

Regards

Andrew :woot.gif:

G'day Andrew,

Your Squirrel looks very nice as well. Did the F-111 pics get through this time?

Nice to see another of your models in progress here.

As always, very interesting build.

Cya

G'day again,

Yes another one off and running. Hopefully it will be finished in time,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day Andrew,

Your Squirrel looks very nice as well. Did the F-111 pics get through this time?

G'day again,

Yes another one off and running. Hopefully it will be finished in time,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy,

Yes the F111 pics came thru and should be posted on the next update hopefully.

Regards

Andrew