AEF Design Resin Sets

Has anybody ordered from this company http://www.aefdesigns.com/airpower/Airpower.htm. I'm wondering what the detail and fit of these sets are like. I want to order 48-12 "Ayit" set to create a A-4N, but I haven't heard anything about them. I've heard of there armour stuff and have heard mixed feelings about them. Any help is appreciated.

Ron

I have only seen their Armor items a couple years ago and I wasn't all that impressed. The castings were average and needed some cleaning up. The owner was extremely helpful however, with some questions I had on the T55.

I have some of their IDF aircraft stuff and am not impressed. Some parts seems to be based on kit or other people's parts, and the casting quality varies. I also had some missing parts. There is a reason that you don't see many (I haven't seen any) builds with their sets.

Edited by Dave Williams

Absolutely the worst customer service I've ever dealt with, bar none. I bought the F-16I conversion (basically a recast of the entire upper fuselage), and it took 4 months after I'd paid before I was able to get an answer to an e-mail, phone call, or letter.

The kit itself was average, easily acceptable for the work. It did not make up for the abyssmal customer service response.

AEF has been around awhile, and built up a uniformly bad reputation for both product and customer support. Much of their armor stuff from the 90's was terrible, but apparently some of their newer stuff is acceptable, and unique. I had one of their 1/48 F-16 Sufa conversions, and as Waco said, it was basically the Hasegawa upper fuselage, molded in one piece, with copies of the Isracast spine, nose antennas and CFT's molded in place. The molding was not good, with mine having major issues in the speed brake area. Even worse, the AEF upper fuselage was at least 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than the kits lower fuselage. In the end, I cut off all of the Sufa specific parts and chucked the fuselage in the trash. The rest of the parts that came with the conversion, while looking suspicially like the Isracast parts, were at least well cast. It is a one man operation, but basically if you are able to get in touch with him if there are problems, you should also probably buy a lottery ticket, because you are very lucky. The advise for some time has been to only buy AEF stuff if you can look at it first, but that's pretty much impossible these days.

Edited by jburch
Like you need more resin...... :)

Jeff

What? I have no ideal of what you are talking about, and really, can you have to much resin? or decals? or F-16 kits?

Thanks for the reply's everyone. Hopefully someone will start making some of these items.

Has anybody ordered from this company http://www.aefdesigns.com/airpower/Airpower.htm. I'm wondering what the detail and fit of these sets are like. I want to order 48-12 "Ayit" set to create a A-4N, but I haven't heard anything about them. I've heard of there armour stuff and have heard mixed feelings about them. Any help is appreciated.

Ron

I've used some of their armor kits over the years. I've found that they have gotten better but still have a few rough spots here and there. All in all, they put out acceptable products (IMHO).

The thing about AEF is that they provide kits of obscure subjects, which no one else has any interest in doing. You have a couple of choices, either go with the AEF kit and if you have to, spend some time on the rough pieces or put your project on hold and hope someone else will get around to releasing the same set.

Good luck,

John