Hi!

At the local airport there is an F-4J Phantom jet. It was used in Vietnam? and was looking to find out how to build one. I have never built a jet before, right now I am building my first model, I am not sure if 1/48 would be to big or if 1/72 would be to small. Has anyone here built an F-4J in either scale? What is a good brand to get? I know that there is Revell, Revell of Germany, Hasegawa, and a few others, but I am not sure which is user friendly. Thank you.

CC

I think you fired a shotgun and hit nothing with that question.......

Ok lets see.

Can't help you with the F-4J at the airport. You do not list where you are. But, many F-4J's were indeed used in Viet Nam.

Scale, 48 or 72.....well no-one can help you here but you. How much room do you have?

Each scale has its advantage and diadvantages. I like 1/48 for most models but for models I do a lot of (like the Phantom) I tend to do 1/72. Really depends on the mood I am in, and what scale the decals I intend to use are.

Hasegawa is the way to go in either scale for the F-4J. Hands down no contest. Make sure you get a recent issue and not one that looks like the box is over 30 years old. The new ones are quite common in most good hobby stores. Or Spue brothers which you can order online from.

Hi!

Thank you for your answering my question. As for the real F-4J, I did not have a question about it. The reason I asked about scale was becuase I was not sure how big the Phanton or any jet model was when completed.

Thank you.

CC

A Phantom II in 1/48th scale measures out to approximately 14" long, with a wing span of around 9 1/2", if that helps any.

Which kit sort of depends on your budget, Hasegawa kits are very nice and fit together very well, however they can be pricey. Monograms' F-4J builds up into a nice model, although you may have to fill and sand seams a little more than you would with a Hasegawa kit.

Assuming you build WWII-era props, a 1/72 F-4 will be roughly the same kind of size as a 1/48 single-engine prop. It's also got a 'bulkier' footprint than a comparably sized prop.

If you build 1/72 WWII stuff, then a 1/48 Phantom would seem very large indeed.

Which one to go with? Depends on how much space you've got, really. Hasegawa vs. Hasegawa, I'd say the 1/48 kit is a better kit (better detail, a little simpler to build), and arguably a better bang for your buck, but that's mostly because you can usually find the 1/48 kit cheap while the 1/72 seems to be going up in price. Both can build up into VERY nice looking models, so it really boils down to how much you want to spend, and how much space you have when it's built.

Hi!

Due to the fact that I am in High-School, I don't have much of a bank to break so I will go with a Testors RF-4. Thank you all for your time and information.

CC

Wait! CC you can still get a nice 1/48 F-4J from Monogram. it will be under $20 in most places and you can still get the version you wanted.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
Hi!

Due to the fact that I am in High-School, I don't have much of a bank to break so I will go with a Testors RF-4. Thank you all for your time and information.

CC

Honestly, you wouldn't be happy with the Testors kit, like Taiidan Tomcat said, the Monogram F-4J isn't expensive and would build up to a much better model than the Testors kit.

Don't forget AMT's F-4s. They may not have the detail as Hasegawa and even the good ol' Monogram, but it builds pretty easy and the fit is okay too. You may be able to find one on Ebay pretty cheap.