A-10 and rockets

Hey all!

Can/did the A-10 ever carry the 4-shot rocket pods?

jb

jb,

I assume you mean the LAU-10 pods with 5" Zuni rockets.

I could be wrong, but I thought that is a Navy/Marine weapon not used by the USAF. I can't recall seeing a picture of the pod on USAF aircraft.

Others with actual experience with the pods will know more.

Bill

That thing is sexy.... So, it's essentially like a small Hellfire? I'm sure that Hydra rockets have a shorter range than a Hellfire, and I know they have a smaller warhead, so would these "LGRs" be shot in salvos, or one-at-a time, like a Hellfire? You could really increase the firepower on a Predator or Reaper with 19-shot pods of these things...

Those are 7 shot LAU-131 rocket pods, not the 4 shot pod the original poster was asking about.

I have never seen us carry them but I will check the -1 tommorow.

Although if you wanted to use the 4-shot Zuni style launcher, you could smooth off the front of each rocket and it would represent an older style flare launcher that the A-10 did carry. Same style launcher, just different internals. It could carry 8 large flares that came down on parachutes lighting up the battlefield at night.

Pat,

That thing is sexy.... So, it's essentially like a small Hellfire? I'm sure that Hydra rockets have a shorter range than a Hellfire, and I know they have a smaller warhead, so would these "LGRs" be shot in salvos, or one-at-a time, like a Hellfire? You could really increase the firepower on a Predator or Reaper with 19-shot pods of these things...

Either/or man but the smart play would be to launch them one at a time I think. Fire and forget missile with IR sensors on the front fins. Those are the little bumps you see on there. They've been shot from a Whiskey Cobra as well as a Kiowa as of now. This was an Army run program but now the Navy/USMC has taken over it. I know the ANG dudes in AZ have been looking at this but I don't think the AF has officially gotten any traction on this program yet.

Pretty cool, very economical weapon that does the trick without a lot of collateral damage. Just the right recipe for the insurgent type targets that are out there today.

I think I can explain the confusion about "four-shot" LAU-10s being used on A-10s. Unless something has changed very recently, LAU-10s are not carried by any USAF aircraft. What is carried is the SUU-25 flare dispenser, which is (for modeling purposes) a modified LAU-10. Here's how to tell the difference:

The LAU-10, although it can be fitted with fairings almost never is (if it is they are ogive shaped). A dead giveaway is if rockets have been fired out of it, the front half will have nasty exhaust stains.

The SUU-25 is always fitted with a nose faring with a (usually black) rounded conical nose cone. It ejects flairs out the back, so will never have exhaust stains on it. They are usually parent-mounted on stations 2/10.

HTH