Panel Line Accentuating on NMF.

Afternoon All,

I normally weather my panel lines with turpentine thinned oils. Not a problem since it's over Tamiya acrylics. I have an SnJ painted CF-104G waiting to be weathered. I'm curious to l know how anyone else works the panel lines over SnJ or Testors Metallizers.

Regards,

Randy

I personally find black a very stark colour to panel line wash BMF aircraft , so I usually use a dark grey acrylic "sludgewash" or a 6B pencil nice and sharp, run down the panel lines.

Benefit of using either is that if you are not happy, a damp cloth can be used to remove and start over!

f86d-01.jpg

HTH

;)

MikeJ

I personally find black a very stark colour to panel line wash BMF aircraft , so I usually use a dark grey acrylic "sludgewash" or a 6B pencil nice and sharp, run down the panel lines.

Benefit of using either is that if you are not happy, a damp cloth can be used to remove and start over!

f86d-01.jpg

HTH

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Mike; I normally use an HB mechanical drafting pencil for panel lines. Don't you find that 6B is somewhat hard? Wouldn't you be taking the risk of scratching the paint right out of the panel lines? Or is 6B soft?

Confused. :wave:

Jamie

6B is very, very soft. 6H is a very hard pencil.

Yes, of course, what a dolt I am.... Duh.... ;) :blink: Thanks for the clarification. I was obviously thinking of 6h. Do they even make em that hard??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wave:

Jamie

Guest kevjon

I've used a turps/oil paint wash on Alclad II finish and it works fine with no problems. As both SNJ and Testors Metalizers are laquers like Alclad they should have no problems with this type of wash.

I have also used acrylics for accentuating panel lines on NMF. I use Jo Sonja artist acrylics mixed with water and flow control medium. I've also tried Liquitex and Vallejo and both of these work well also.

Kevin

6B is very, very soft. 6H is a very hard pencil.

Yes, of course, what a dolt I am.... Duh.... ;) :blink: Thanks for the clarification. I was obviously thinking of 6h. Do they even make em that hard??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wave:

Jamie

They certainly do make a 6H, I used to use them when I was a board drafter way back in the dim mists of time :)

That's an outstanding SabreDog Mike! Is that the 1/48 Pro-modeler kit?

it's the 1:72 Hasegawa F-86D Sabre Dog

They are absolute gems to build, the only gripe is that the leading edge slats and airbrakes are not positionable :wave:

MikeJ

I've got a very simple but convincing way to enhance panel lines on NMF aircraft, i found it out while building my Ki-84. I painted it overall with Testor's Chrome Silver. After that, used Humbrol's flat steel mixed with a tad of flat black and sprayed the panel lines by masking one of the panels.

I don't know if I made myself clear, but anyway, here's a pic of the mentioned model.

http://www.geocities.com/ipmsbogotaar/gafrank.htm

Hope you guys like it.

Ricardo