F-18D to B Conversion

So, I am thinking of backdating my Hasegawa f-18D to a B and doing it in the Fighting Omars adversary scheme. Can anyone tell me what the main changes are between the two airframes?

I am sure this question has been asked before but I could not find any photo references.

Many thanks, Alan.

Edited by Alan

You'll need the tails from a "B" kit.

I don't have the sprues in front of me, but I think everything else is still there. It's more a question of what you leave off for the "B", like some of the RWR blisters. Not sure if the "B" rear panel is int he kit either.

So, I am thinking of backdating my Hasegawa f-18D to a B and doing it in the Fighting Omars adversary scheme. Can anyone tell me what the main changes are between the two airframes?

I am sure this question has been asked before but I could not find any photo references.

Many thanks, Alan.

You've just have to follow all the intructions until step 22.

Don't add the K23s and K24s.

And delete some of the fairings on the tails.

You've just have to follow all the intructions until step 22.

Don't add the K23s and K24s.

And delete some of the fairings on the tails.

Also do not use the gear door with the bump for the nose gear that the instructions tell you use. There should be another gear door without the bump that is included in the kit (at least there was for the C kit). If I remember I will look it up tonight.

I think it is the same as back dating a C to an A. I know there are lots of threads out there about that. Also try the CF-18 article in the tips and tools on the main page of the ARC. They tell you which bumps to not include and which to sand off.

Edited by graves_09

Many thanks for the replies. I have compared a few photos of B and D tails this evening since I have read these posts and I think the shape is the same, just what blisters to sand off, am I correct?

I hope so- I have the Hasegawa Night Attack Hornet, that looks really boring in its low-vis markings and I have came across the Fighting Omars 2 tone desert camo scheme- looks really cool.

Many thanks, Alan.

a little inspiration for you.

F-18BVFC-12_06.JPG

Some people like to sand off the middle blister on the tail. And if that works for you, great. But the ECM blisters are different in size, shape and position from the A/B to C/D. ...

-brian

That's the method I have seen before. I know there is a conversion set out there, Squadron.com had it for for real cheap on sale but I checked and the best you could do now is the F/A-18A conversion which for $36 is a little much for a couple of tail fins... and they are OOS sorry I can't help more.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

One difference often missed or not mentioned (I don't know this kit so I don't know how much applies):

The A/B does have one place where it DOES have a bump/fairing that the C/D does not. Under the intakes, right by the lip. The A/B have an ECM antenna? there, the C/D lacks them. If the instructions are for a C/D and say to shave them off--don't! If they're not there, you'll need to add them.

C/D's generally have a lot more bumps than the A/B, but that's the one place where the opposite is true.

One difference often missed or not mentioned (I don't know this kit so I don't know how much applies):

The A/B does have one place where it DOES have a bump/fairing that the C/D does not. Under the intakes, right by the lip. The A/B have an ECM antenna? there, the C/D lacks them. If the instructions are for a C/D and say to shave them off--don't! If they're not there, you'll need to add them.

C/D's generally have a lot more bumps than the A/B, but that's the one place where the opposite is true.

Actually, instructions in the C and D boxings forgot to say to delete the intake fairings.

An update from my previous post: the kit part B27 should be used for the main gear door instead of the gear door (F3) which comes on the spruce with the tailfins. In addition to excluding K23 and K24 I believe you should also not include K2. The only ECM bumps should be the ones already molded in the fuselage. K25 (you should have 2) should also be attached to the B27 to represent the antenna on the gear door. Again these are the changes I found for a C to A conversion but it should be the same for the D to B.