This is what I found out about the navigation lights on the SR-71/YF-12:

I checked my Squadron Signal SR-71 in action # 55, on page 69 aircraft 2022/61-7971 shows a red anti-collision light on the top center in line with the "U" in U.S. AIR FORCE

I also checked my Squadron Signal SR-71 Walk Around # 32, on page 68 SR-71s 2018/61-7967 & 2011/61-7960 both have red anti-collision lights top and bottom center again above the "U" in US AIR FORCE

I did not see any evidence of the red and green lights anywhere.

I also checked SCALE AIRCRAFT MODELLING, VOLUME 15 ISSUE 11, The secret World of the U-2 and SR-71, on page 69, SR-71 aircraft 17967 it clearly shows the red anti-collision light on top, the bottom is not visible.

I would think that if they have the anti-collision lights they would have the red and green navigation lights also, but none were visible.

I have TESTORS, 1/48 scale Kit # 588 YF-12A Interceptor, and Kit # 4061 SR-71A/B and neither have any anti-collision, or navigation lights on them.

Quite possible they do not have them, or maybe they are retractable somehow. I would think that if they used plastic it would melt. Hopefully someone else will know for sure.

I've never seen such lights on the Blackbird, on the wingtips or elsewhere. As mentioned there are the anti-collision beacons, but these are retractable, I think.

Quite possible they do not have them, or maybe they are retractable somehow. I would think that if they used plastic it would melt. Hopefully someone else will know for sure.

This is slightly misleading since most Blackbirds were built with composite edges. The chines on the SR-71 and most of its precursors (the A-12 prototype being the only exception in my mind) are all heat-resistant plastic. Even the all-moving portion of the tails are composite except on rare occasions when they're replaced by metal units.

As I was writing that, I had a photo envisioned in my memory of a SR flying at dusk with lights on.

I used to see them fly quite often but don't recall the lights.

I did check my photo's and I think there's a small one on the underside, but defiantly nothing will be on the wings as I'm sure they would melt.

Now I'm curious and will have to go check it out, maybe get some better pictures.

Curt

SR

100_3323.jpg

A-12

100_3371c.jpg

Indeed, SRs have just the anti-collision beacons and the landing light on the nose gear. Other then that, they have no lights. And yes, the beacons are retractable. Main reason for this I believe is that they normally climb to high altitude rather quickly after takeoff and as such, they don't really need the red and blue wingtip lights anyway. Plus when the aircraft were designed (originally as the CIA A-12), there probably wasn't a way to make flush mounted lights capable of withstanding sustained mach 3+ flight.

From what I can tell the A-12's carried no nav lights at all and the SR-71's only had the retractable beacons on the upper and lower fuselage. The YF-12's on the other hand did have wingtip lights in addition to the retractable beacons. Here's a pic:

yf12_wing.jpg

Hope that helps.

Tony

From what I can tell the A-12's carried no nav lights at all and the SR-71's only had the retractable beacons on the upper and lower fuselage. The YF-12's on the other hand did have wingtip lights in addition to the retractable beacons. Here's a pic:

yf12_wing.jpg

Hope that helps.

Tony

That doesn't look like a wingtip light to me, but looks like a metal fitting of some sort. Are those little things on the bottom of the plane static dischargers?

That doesn't look like a wingtip light to me, but looks like a metal fitting of some sort. Are those little things on the bottom of the plane static dischargers?

Probably tufts of yarn for air flow testing. NASA may have retro-fitted navigation lights because they fly lower and slower more often?

Here's your pictures, I didn't have a ladder to get to the top, but heres the one on the bottom.

It sits off center to the left about 7 feet aft of the nose gear door.

There were on other lights on this A/C.

Curt

100_7602.jpg

100_7604.jpg

100_7603.jpg

100_7605.jpg

100_7597.jpg

There's a corresponding panel on the left side, and they both look like lights to me, unless someone has a close-up photo to show otherwise.

100_7591.jpg

100_7592.jpg

100_7593.jpg

100_7594-1.jpg

100_7595.jpg

This A-12 Had nothing on it's wings, actually it had no lights at all, not even the anti collision becon as the SR.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Regarding the YF-12, those stating that they do have wing leading edge / tip lights are accurate. The SR and A/M-12 birds don't.

I saw (and touched) them on the bird at the AF Museum. They appear to be some sort of clear and very hard glass / plexiglass very similar if not the same as the cockpit windows. They are fairly solid except for the little green or red bulb that is inside them. There appears to be no panel line around where the glass or bulb can be removed either, which was odd.

If you need pictures, I took a detail shot.

Regarding the YF-12, those stating that they do have wing leading edge / tip lights are accurate. The SR and A/M-12 birds don't.

I saw (and touched) them on the bird at the AF Museum. They appear to be some sort of clear and very hard glass / plexiglass very similar if not the same as the cockpit windows. They are fairly solid except for the little green or red bulb that is inside them. There appears to be no panel line around where the glass or bulb can be removed either, which was odd.

They might have been quartz, like the windshield and windows.

C O R R E C T I O N :

Further reading online suggests the windows were made of temperature resistant glass. I remember reading long ago they were quartz, but I'm too old to trust my memory very far.

Edited by Neptune48

Post'em if you got'em..........

Seems like they must have been fitted to some a/c , but I'd find it hard to mod one, the wing is very thin.

But I'd like to see any photo's you all might have.

Curt

Edited by Netz
Here's your pictures, I didn't have a ladder to get to the top, but heres the one on the bottom.

It sits off center to the left about 7 feet aft of the nose gear door.

There were on other lights on this A/C.

Curt

This A-12 Had nothing on it's wings, actually it had no lights at all, not even the anti collision becon as the SR.

Curt

Hey, cool!

Fantastic pics, which help me to finish my SR-71...

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bandhead2:

Post'em if you got'em..........

Seems like they must have been fitted to some a/c , but I'd find it hard to mod one, the wing is very thin.

But I'd like to see any photo's you all might have.

Curt

Curt - will do that tonight.

Mark