"UPDATE" RAAF F/A-18F Super Hornet "WIP"

Hi guys.

Here is my 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18F Super Hornet.

When I found out that the RAAF was purchasing them, I went strait out and bought the Hasegawa Jolly Rogers kit.

With only limited information regarding the RAAF markings, I took what I did know, and decided to do a what if. In saying that, we do know that they will be in normal Navy two tone gray, and that they will be based at Amberley with 1 and 6 Sqn.

So I decided to do a CAG bird (Sqn Ldr) scheme, and gave it an extra tone of dark German Gray. I am still trying to decide on a cool tail marking for it. But think I will be sticking to the lightning strike in some way.

Anyway, here are a few pics for you to have a squizz at. And I am all ears to any suggestion of tail art you all may have!

P5110033.jpg

P5110037.jpg

P5110038.jpg

P5110040.jpg

Chris

Edited by Samurai_Chris

Looks great Chris! It looks like you've gone with a sort of low-viz jolly rogers theme with those dark tails. Maybe you could make the tail markings light grey. I think the lightning strike would stand out much better that way.

Chris

Thanks guys...

Ken, I always thought the Super Bugs were two tone like the Legacy Hornets?

Chris, I was thinking the same thing.. Light gray on the dark..

Have my parents visiting and will be taking them to Kokura Castle today. So won't have a chance to do any work on the Bug..

Chris

Chris, the US Navy Legacy and Super Hornets are 2-tone with light and dark ghost grey. The Australian and Canadian Legacy Hornets use a darker grey for the top camo portion - Medium grey I believe is the name.

You mentioned how the Australian Super Hornets will be the normal Navy 2 tone grey, which if that is correct, would be light and dark ghost grey

Chris, the US Navy Legacy and Super Hornets are 2-tone with light and dark ghost grey. The Australian and Canadian Legacy Hornets use a darker grey for the top camo portion - Medium grey I believe is the name.

You mentioned how the Australian Super Hornets will be the normal Navy 2 tone grey, which if that is correct, would be light and dark ghost grey

Gottcha..

Actually, Australia tends to stick with what comes off the assembly line. Or so I have been told. So if modern standards are cocerned then they should be the same colour as the Navy Super Hornets, as they are the only users of this aircraft..

But until we see them, then I guess its all speculation for now..

Thanks for the clarification mate..

Chris

Ok, here is an update of my RAAF Super Bug.

I was flicking through some F-111 tails and came up with this art for my F/A-18F..

All hand painted, but still need to give the pig his red eye...

P5130044.jpg

P5130047.jpg

P5130049.jpg

Chris

I like that scheme better than the current US or Canadian Hornet schemes. Would be very cool if the actuall RAAF Super Hornet scheme resembles that.

Thanks David..

I wanted to keep a little bit of the F-111G's with this build, so felt that atleast one of the new aircraft had to have dark grey..

I also decided to do the lightning rod with pig to pay homage to Amberley 6 Sqn and the F-111..

Chris

Damn...that's a good lookin' bug. I'd send pics of that to the folks at the RAAF. Who knows, your markings might be better than what they come up with! Wouldn't that be something.. a Whif that turns out to be an "is"

Oh wow! That looks even better than I thought it would. You say you hand painted the boomerang and pig's head :blink: That's just awesome!

You just need to round it out with a pair of ASRAAMs now.

Chris

Kev, I may just take your advice!.. Maybe we can start calling them RAAF F/A-18F Super Pigs......

Christopher, thanks mate. Its your roundal decals you sent me that have been used on this build. Can't thank you enough mate..

A few more pics later today.. I will be starting a Legacy Hornet to go with it today also...

Chris

Nice looking pair of planes. I don't build much in 1/48 (too big for my place, and when it comes to these two kits in particular, waaaaay expensive), but seeing builds like this always makes me wish I had a bigger budget to play with... :-)

Have you decided on how to arm the Super Hornet? Putting ASRAAMs on them would make for a cool contrast to all the AIM-9M/X-armed versions out there... :-)

Cheers,

SP

Nice looking pair of planes. I don't build much in 1/48 (too big for my place, and when it comes to these two kits in particular, waaaaay expensive), but seeing builds like this always makes me wish I had a bigger budget to play with... :-)

Have you decided on how to arm the Super Hornet? Putting ASRAAMs on them would make for a cool contrast to all the AIM-9M/X-armed versions out there... :-)

Cheers,

SP

Sebastian, it took me a long time before I bought my first Legacy kit in 1/48. But I found one half price at my LHS, so grabbed it..

Have to be honest. But the Hornet in both varients is my favourite aircraft. Still thinking about how I will arm them.

But Hasegawa are lacking in that department. I may have to re-check what's in the box..

Chris

The answer to that is "Not much". IIRC, the Legacy comes with nothing, and the Super Hornet comes with a pair of AMRAAMs and AIM-9X. (There might have been a couple of AIM-9L/M in the Legacy Hornet.)

ASRAAM can be gotten from the Revell Typhoon single-seater (not sure about the twin in 1/48, the 1/72 doesn't have them). Too bad the RAAF selected the JASSM instead of the Storm Shadow, or else you could have used those as well. I don't know much about what other stores are used by the RAAF, but I have a pretty good idea where to find the best versions of most weapons once I know which ones to look for... :-) (And I hardly even build this scale. I've just hung around these forums for too long... :-))

SP

Well mate, I am a fan of twin seaters. And I actually have built a Revell 1/48 Typhoon, but it has since been binned..

I may look into getting another...

When it comes to the Super Pigs. I guess we will have to wait until they get the first one later this year to see what happens...

Chris